I have auto on/off engaged to turn off at 12:00 pm and turn back on at 6:00 am. When it does turn on, the radio stays off and I have to go to manage connections every morning to turn the radio back on. Is there a setting to fix this? Or is this the way this feature is supposed to work?
    12-17-08 07:14 PM
    I do not believe this is how it is suppose to work mine does that a couple of times a week as well
    12-17-08 07:18 PM
    I have to agree mine does that as well but not all the time, just annoying when it does happen. It is not all the time but some of the time it does not come on. Not sure why though.
    12-17-08 07:58 PM
    Mine used to do that, but after enabling it again last night, it worked properly. Obviously this isn't the way it's supposed to work, so hopefully it'll be fixed with the next update.

Has anyone tested to see if this feature is more reliable using the device's internal clock as opposed to having it get the time from the network?
    12-17-08 08:09 PM
    Has anyone tested to see if this feature is more reliable using the device's internal clock as opposed to having it get the time from the network?
    Erm... think carefully about that

If the radio connectivity is down, how can it get the time from network? Auto power-on *must* rely on the phone's internal free running clock, last corrected sometime before power off.

Having said that I find it more reliable to sync my clock to PC when I connect for daily backup. The PC gets time from internet time servers and is rarely more than 2 seconds adrift even if I'm away from internet for a week or so. (checkout the time server pool project at ntp.org: Home of the Network Time Protocol )
    12-17-08 08:43 PM
    I do not believe this is how it is suppose to work mine does that a couple of times a week as well
    WoW !!!!!
    12-17-08 08:53 PM
    I have auto on/off engaged to turn off at 12:00 pm and turn back on at 6:00 am. When it does turn on, the radio stays off and I have to go to manage connections every morning to turn the radio back on. Is there a setting to fix this? Or is this the way this feature is supposed to work?
    I have mine also turn off and on every night. When I had .65 I always had to manually turn on the radio. Since updating to .75 I have not had to do it once. I am not sure what version you are running, but maybe that would help?
    12-17-08 09:02 PM
    I have mine also turn off and on every night. When I had .65 I always had to manually turn on the radio. Since updating to .75 I have not had to do it once. I am not sure what version you are running, but maybe that would help?
    I am using .75 too.
    12-17-08 09:57 PM
    Erm... think carefully about that

If the radio connectivity is down, how can it get the time from network? Auto power-on *must* rely on the phone's internal free running clock, last corrected sometime before power off.
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but this could be the source of the issue. There's a bug that prevents the firmware from switching over.

I just like using the network to set the time. That way, when I go visit family 2 time zones away, I don't have to worry about changing it when I get there or come back. I'm lazy, and not too obsessed with accuracy. So long as I'm +/- 5 minutes, it's fine with me.
    12-17-08 10:15 PM
    Yes, I'm aware of that, but this could be the source of the issue. There's a bug that prevents the firmware from switching over.

I just like using the network to set the time. That way, when I go visit family 2 time zones away, I don't have to worry about changing it when I get there or come back. I'm lazy, and not too obsessed with accuracy. So long as I'm +/- 5 minutes, it's fine with me.
    There is no 'switching over' to be done, the system time actually used for operation always comes via the internal clock. The only consideration is the time source used to *set* the clock - which I agree is subject to uncertainty and cross-boundary time zone errors when synced to the cellular network. However, losing the cellular network time signal (or even the complete network) should not cause the internal clock to fail unless the programmer had IQ<=0.

I still want the option to time sync from GPS
    12-18-08 06:43 AM
    I have to manually turn on the radio on my 2 week old Storm (.75 OS) when using auto on and off. Just noticed it this morning. Hmmm.
    oNioN
    12-18-08 07:39 AM
    Mine comes on but the radio is always off. This happened with 0.65 and now with 0.75. I believe its a real bug that needs to be addressed.
    12-20-08 01:43 PM
    Mine comes on but the radio is always off. This happened with 0.65 and now with 0.75. I believe its a real bug that needs to be addressed.
    I am also having the same issue on Storm. The device is on but the wireless is not enabled.
    12-22-08 10:14 AM
    This never happened on my .65 But has with both my .75. I actually got a knowledgable tech person and after speaking with someone above her said it was a known issue being addressed by rim. She gave me a case number. My radio never came on finally just stopped using it for now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-22-08 11:54 AM
    I corroborate Zookeper's entry. "Knowledgeable" Verizon rep is key. First time it happened to me I was just coasting through the day, thinking emails and phone calls were light because of the season. Then discovered the whole "radio off" thing.

Called Verizon and rep showed me how to reconnect (where the menu was, etc.), and said he had no knowledge of any bug, but if it reoccurred, to be sure to call back so they could add it to the hot sheet.

So after testing, I thought I had "discovered" a bug and called back to report it. The female tech told me in a somewhat bored and disdainful tone that "They were well aware of the bug" and that there was no need to call them. When I told her I had been asked to, she said "We don't get our bug info that way. You need to go to the Verizon site to report it. But this one is already reported and will be addressed in a future update."

At any rate, "bad attitude" helper aside, I am convinced they know and will fix it. I am on .75 and my radio disconnects every on/off cycle. I just manually reconnect it.
    12-23-08 03:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD