This bug really pisses me off since i ride a motorcycle and the audio in my helmet is greatly reduced by the wind. Now the only way to combat this bug is to set my phone to phone call only mode so i do not get any audible alerts when i ride.
    04-27-09 09:14 AM
    Hmmmm.... Maybe I am going through the wrong menu? I use an "enhance audio" menu selection where you can choose bass boost, treble boost, etc.... And select "loud" I think.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ya, thats not the audio boost feature that we are talking about, that just changes the pre-programmed equalizer settings. That works for all of us, but we want some more volume, even with that set the volume is too low for some of us. The audio boost actually boots the audio way up, but its buggy like we have said.

Turn on options/audio boost and you'll see what we are talking about.

It works as long as you want to spend 5 minutes rebooting your phone every time you want to listen to some music. Not a very good workaround!
    04-27-09 09:14 AM
    I agree that this should be one of the #1 issues RIM should be addressing. I bet most people don't even notice it. When I first noticed it I thought it was just me. Once I zoned in on the issue I noticed it has been doing it all along I just wasn't paying attention. Now it is so annoying I don't use my storm in my car any more. It use to be my number one feature...Listen to slacker, etc. Come on RIM fix this horrible defect!!
    04-27-09 09:17 AM
    I agree that this should be one of the #1 issues RIM should be addressing. I bet most people don't even notice it.
    I agree 100%, it's been demonstrated in this thread that not even all the posters know what we're referring to. Granted, many users might not listen to music on thier phone, but for those that do, especially with loud background noise, this is very annoying.
    04-27-09 09:51 AM
    I agree 100%, it's been demonstrated in this thread that not even all the posters know what we're referring to. Granted, many users might not listen to music on thier phone, but for those that do, especially with loud background noise, this is very annoying.
    You are right, look at how many posters claim that .132 fixed this problem when it didnt. I really want this fixed, I cant use my phone as an mp3 the way it is now, and thats one of the reasons I bought it.

If this issue got 10% of the attention that other issues such as 'color banding' get, maybe something would be done. Since it hasnt been fixed thru these many os updates, Im wondering if RIM even considers this much of an issue. And they may be right, almost nobody on this forum complains about it.
    Last edited by wmscottmc; 04-27-09 at 10:37 AM.
    04-27-09 10:35 AM
    Well I know the issue, I know how to turn audio boost on and off, I know the difference between the equalizer and audio boost, and it took me maybe one or two alerts to figure out what was going on when I first got my storm with .75

It was gone for awhile for me with .132 but it came back after I reset my phone to factory settings with .132

I am still fiddling with experiments but overall it seems to be functioning quite different. I have a couple of questions to help my investigation that hopefully you all can help with.

It seems to me that audioboost is turned on by simply countinually increasing the volume now...I don't remember it being this way before. Has it always been like that?
    (What I mean is, and this doesn't seem to work 100%, is that I get the whole warning about damging your hearing and have to click ok simply from repeatedly pressing the volume up. I can then go to options and turn the boost off and the level drops.)

Also, when the bug happens and you do try to turn audio boost on off in the bugged state, does anyone get any type of disruption in their audio playback when doing this?
    04-27-09 11:03 AM
    It seems to me that audioboost is turned on by simply countinually increasing the volume now...I don't remember it being this way before. Has it always been like that?
    (What I mean is, and this doesn't seem to work 100%, is that I get the whole warning about damging your hearing and have to click ok simply from repeatedly pressing the volume up. I can then go to options and turn the boost off and the level drops.)

Also, when the bug happens and you do try to turn audio boost on off in the bugged state, does anyone get any type of disruption in their audio playback when doing this?
    yeah the warning window seems to pop up when you change a song. it's been doing that for a while but i'm not sure if that's intended or not.

you can turn off the boost IF it's working (meaning you have yet to get a message alert) but once the alert disables it, no combination of on/off i've tried restores it other than a reboot.

once the alert turns it off, the on/off option in the media options is just for show...
    04-27-09 01:48 PM
    On my phone once the boost stops working (due to a call or alert) Ive found nothing other than a reboot to get it working again, and even that doesnt always work. Some times Ill need 2 or 3 reboots before I get the volume boost back.

The volume boost option still exists, but it doesnt do anything once it is clobbered. I can turn it on or off, and the sound will be normal (not boosted).

Im wondering if this is related to either vibrate and ring, or BB Alerts. Does everyone run these 2 apps?
    04-27-09 02:18 PM
    well mine is working all screwy.

I can get the audio boost to turn on by simply repeatedly pressing volume up quickly.

The warning message always comes up when I turn it on with out fail.

The boost bugs out when I get an alert and the song resumes playing at a lower lever, but when I then toggle audio boost on and off I can hear it changing by a small skip in the song and a slight change in volume level (this very minimal change is clearly not the normal functioning audio boost).

However in general my unboosted audio seems to me to go to higher levels than previously, enough for my needs, so unboosted or even bugged statest are not a problem anymore for me as I don't get drastic volume changes as I did previously.

I don't know why my Storm started acting differently, it seemed to be behaving this way still when I quickly checked it while downgraded to .75 So that leads me to believe that I just have something quirky going on and that anything I find won't be able to help anyone else...... I will try out my wifes storm to see if it performs different than mine when I get the chance.....
    04-27-09 03:07 PM
    I will add another confirmation this issue is NOT fixed. Rebooted my phone and listened to music plugged into my car on the way to work and everything was good. Sent myself a text and bang, volume reduced by about 1/2.

This is really the only thing I'm VERY dissapointed with on this phone.
    Last edited by volvo9; 04-28-09 at 08:26 AM.
    04-28-09 08:24 AM
    I will add another confirmation this issue is NOT fixed. Rebooted my phone and listened to music plugged into my car on the way to work and everything was good. Sent myself a text and bang, volume reduced by about 1/2.

This is really the only thing I'm VERY dissapointed with on this phone.
    I agree, even though many posters are claiming that this has been fixed. It isnt working on my Storm. And I am surprised that this issue is gotten very little attention, probably for most users the volume is 'good enough'.

I had this same problem on my last Windows Mobile phone, but with there were a few good 3rd party audio players available, that all did volume boosting. I havent seen one for the Storm, and even if it existed the Alert bug may still override the volume.

I hear an OS update is imminent (again)..... maybe it will finally be fixed this time. If not I will be disappointed since using this phone as my primary mp3 player was a main reason that I bought it.
    04-28-09 09:23 AM
    OK I have been trying to investigate this issue still with varying results.

My wifes phone seems to behave the same way as mine when I have the bug. Interestingly the comment where losing the boost reduces the volume by what seems to be about half is what I remeber when I orignally had this bug when I first got my storm me and my wifes storm doess not seem to reduce by that much. This is using the wired headphones that came with the phone.

I have discovered something else that has me really scratching my head. 0.75 had a speaker phone issue where apps could only play sounds through the headset. Speicfically VY mail and one of thelightsaber apps had this in my experience. Interestingly I wipe my phone and downgrade to 0.75 as completely as possible multiple times and VY mail doesn't have this bug anymore. It plays Voicemail through the speaker fine.

So what the heck is going on? Has 0.75 changed? Did Joe Krill fix the problem with VY mail and 0.75 and forget to get rid of the note that says 0.75 has this bug?

EDIT: storm grounds lightsaber app still has the speaker phone bug.....

EDIT: Now I just discovered that the annoying SIM card detected message is showing up after I put mine back in as a shot in the dark in my trouble shooting. This did not used to happen on the official VZW release. I installed straight from DM, going to try the .exe and see if it behaves different.......

Edit:no difference, just had to go and change to automatic in options>save> change back to 1x only and save again
    Last edited by blaisedinsd; 04-29-09 at 03:51 AM.
    04-29-09 02:05 AM
    Ive looked for other media/mp3 players and cant find any 3rd party apps to play mp3's. I would like to try another player to see if the audio is loud enough, especially after receiving a call or alert.

My last phone was a Windows Mobile phone, and there were about 6 media players and equalizers available that I knew of.

Does anybody know of a media player available for the Storm, and if not why is that?

Thanks.
    05-06-09 10:36 PM
    Did 141 fix this?
    05-13-09 08:07 PM
    Did 141 fix this?
    Ive been told by some that .141 has fixed the audio boost bug, but I heard the same thing about .132. Im skeptical that .141 fixes this problem.

Many users dont realize that the phone has an audio boost feature, or if they do, then dont understand what the bug is, so they will claim that the feature works, when it doesnt.

Can anybody confirm that .141 fixes the audio boost bug?

Thanks
    05-13-09 08:58 PM
    Can anyone confirm that this bug exists with .75? I used .75 for about a month, and I dont remember this bug being present, but I cant remember.
    05-14-09 11:12 AM
    It exists in every OS.

Storm + Audio Boost Bug

Always and Forever
    05-14-09 11:33 AM
    i think you are using the wrong feature..audio boost is under media> options> audio boost.

when it's working correctly, it substantially increases the headset volume, as wmscottmc stated. problem is, one you get a message alert, it becomes disabled despite what the ui is saying, until you reboot. it has done this in EVERY os, up to 132
    It doesn't just reduce the volume either. For some reason, it causes clipping in the low and high frequencies, so the sound is a mess.... Not just lower in volume. Try listening to a song with alot of bass after the bug creeps up on ya, it'll sound like you're underwater.
    05-14-09 11:38 AM
    Really wish they would deal with these basic audio issues. Continuous track music having pauses and this audio boost bug. BTW it is just as bad in 141 as 132 etc

And to the person who wanted this device to replace his (or her) mp3 player, I know where you are comming from, so did I.

... what can you do

1000 Hz test tone before message and when the audio comes back. (cut part of pause)
    Last edited by iprayforrain; 05-14-09 at 09:09 PM.
    05-14-09 09:02 PM
    interesting note everytime i tested this there was a simialar pattern where the audio seems to kick in then audio boost dies right after....

just a thought
    Last edited by iprayforrain; 05-14-09 at 09:24 PM.
    05-14-09 09:20 PM
    Ive been told by some that .141 has fixed the audio boost bug, but I heard the same thing about .132. Im skeptical that .141 fixes this problem.

Many users dont realize that the phone has an audio boost feature, or if they do, then dont understand what the bug is, so they will claim that the feature works, when it doesnt.

Can anybody confirm that .141 fixes the audio boost bug?

Thanks
    .148 has fixed the auido boost bug.

It also fixed the bug where custom ringtones would still ring while the phone was set to vibrate.
    05-20-09 10:09 AM
    yeah the warning window seems to pop up when you change a song. it's been doing that for a while but i'm not sure if that's intended or not.

It's intended, for legalese reasons. It can be disabled with the checkbox at the bottom. It's just so dumbasses can't sue when they blow their eardrums out on the grounds of "I didn't know loud music would hurt my ears!" Audio boost is the functional equivalent of turning off AVLS on an old Sony Walkman.
    05-20-09 10:39 PM
47 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD