I figured out how to get Audible.com to play books on the Storm. Go to Audible.com and follow their instructions for OTA install I used the 8800 model and switced to enable the application to compatibility mode. It took me a bit to figure out how to download and navigate with the BB menu button, but I am now listening to one of my previously purchased books.
    12-10-08 12:02 PM
    I figured out how to get Audible.com to play books on the Storm. Go to Audible.com and follow their instructions for OTA install I used the 8800 model and switced to enable the application to compatibility mode. It took me a bit to figure out how to download and navigate with the BB menu button, but I am now listening to one of my previously purchased books.
    Yeah, works good. The only thing I didn't get working was downloading the books on my PC and having the audible manager copy it to the blackberry. For some reason the app doesn't recognize the file that was copied. No big deal, can download the books OTA just fine.
    12-10-08 12:10 PM
    The hard part was getting it to download the whole audiobook. I couldn't get it off of the "download 5 minutes" setting. I finally caught on that you have to drag the highlight up from the bottom in order to operate any of the drop down boxes.

Sheesh!
    12-11-08 01:05 PM
    Hi, Would you mind describing a little bit more about how you get the drop down boxes working? I cant click on the drop down box to select my device.

Thanks!
    12-12-08 05:06 PM
    put your finger on the screen below the box you are trying to highlight, then drag it up to the one you want. When it's finally highlighted, click it.

I sent Audible an e-mail asking when they were going to release a version for the Storm, and got a form letter back saying, "it's up to "Blackberry""
    I don't think a human ever even saw the e-mail.
    12-12-08 10:00 PM
    "I used the 8800 model and switced to enable the application to compatibility mode."

Can anyone tell me how to switch to compatibillity mode? Hope this question isn't too stupid. I can't get the highlight to move in audible air.
    12-13-08 10:05 AM
    "I used the 8800 model and switced to enable the application to compatibility mode."

Can anyone tell me how to switch to compatibillity mode? Hope this question isn't too stupid. I can't get the highlight to move in audible air.
    go to options>advanced options>applications> then highlight "audible", and press the bb button --select enter compatibility mode

to move in the audible software i found that landscape is best and you may have to just start pressing button and figure out what works and what doesnt-- j and k keys worked to scroll for me and when using the player the normal keys should work
    Last edited by Critta; 12-13-08 at 01:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    12-13-08 01:39 PM
    Actually, I find that it is easier to use AudibleAir with compatibility mode disabled. It gives you a larger piece of screen to see your books and you just stroke up the keyboard when you want to move: D and J move you right and left, and T and B move you up and down, like a "D" pad. You can also hover your finger and drag the highlights between entries as described above. When you are at the screen that shows all the books in your online library, you can press the D key to go to the previous screen where you will find the books already on your Storm. I do not download to the Storm because it is just too slow and most of the time it fails because of the size. I most often listen while on a flight, so doing it in 5 or 10 minute increments is not possible.

If you download your books to iTunes like I do (with the Audible plugin) you can just copy the books to your microSD card like you would any file and it will be available for use. The only thing that doesn't seem to really be working like it should is the autobookmark in the file that should bring you back to exactly where you left off if you move away from the book. Occasionally it works, but most often not. I expect that Audible will resolve this shortly. I have used them for more than 10 years, and they have always been very responsive.
    12-13-08 10:07 PM
    I have Audible running on my Storm as well. I used the OTA as desribed above, and chose compatibility mode. I am able to download my books and my all-important daily WSJ fix.

It is a little quirky/clunky, and the user interface is a pain. Files disappear randomly, and the playback controls, like pressing "1" to skip back a short time, perform inconsistently. However - I can at least play my audible content. It will do until Audible releases a Storm variant.

Thanks for posting the info!
    12-15-08 09:22 PM
    I have Audible running on my Storm as well. I used the OTA as desribed above, and chose compatibility mode. I am able to download my books and my all-important daily WSJ fix.

It is a little quirky/clunky, and the user interface is a pain. Files disappear randomly, and the playback controls, like pressing "1" to skip back a short time, perform inconsistently. However - I can at least play my audible content. It will do until Audible releases a Storm variant.

I've noticed that 4 & 6 don't work at all for navigation. And 1 often causes the book to unload. This sucks real bad when I'm driving. I also wish there was a way in compatibility mode to force the numeric keyboard to come out (instead of holding for numlock)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 11:42 PM
    I keep getting an error "invalid account details" when I try to log in (I know I had the right username and pw. Anyone else had this problem?

Here's the not-very-useful email I got from audible-

"Thank you for contacting Audible. After reviewing your email I understand you are interested in using your mobile device with our service. At this time Audible is currently working on making all existing devices compatible with our service. While the �Blackberry� brand is not new to our service, there is a general interest in consumers like yourself to convert the entire �Storm� model brand into Audible supported. We have spoken to �Blackberry� and are currently waiting for them to update their firmware for the �Storm� series and other models as well."
    01-15-09 01:31 AM
    Actually, I find that it is easier to use AudibleAir with compatibility mode disabled. It gives you a larger piece of screen to see your books and you just stroke up the keyboard when you want to move: D and J move you right and left, and T and B move you up and down, like a "D" pad. You can also hover your finger and drag the highlights between entries as described above. When you are at the screen that shows all the books in your online library, you can press the D key to go to the previous screen where you will find the books already on your Storm. I do not download to the Storm because it is just too slow and most of the time it fails because of the size. I most often listen while on a flight, so doing it in 5 or 10 minute increments is not possible.

If you download your books to iTunes like I do (with the Audible plugin) you can just copy the books to your microSD card like you would any file and it will be available for use. The only thing that doesn't seem to really be working like it should is the autobookmark in the file that should bring you back to exactly where you left off if you move away from the book. Occasionally it works, but most often not. I expect that Audible will resolve this shortly. I have used them for more than 10 years, and they have always been very responsive.
    Wow! I didn't know this! Thank you!
    01-15-09 06:46 AM

Can you give a little more info on how you got the WSJ to download? I've been trying to get the NYT to download on my Storm and have all but given up on it. You're honestly the only person I've heard of that has been able to get a subscription working on AudibleAir on the storm.

I would LOVE to be able to download my morning read through my Storm and eliminate the need for me to sync and carry my iPod each morning.

Steve
    01-20-09 11:57 AM
    I use it too. Works fine I suppose, but its a little annoying to use in compatibility mode.

Anyone contact them and ask if they are making a new version?
    01-20-09 01:05 PM
    Great suggestions here. I've got the software loaded and working and figured out most of the navigation. I have three unresolved issues.

1. I've downloaded an entire book via audibleair but cannot find it to play it. MY LIBRARY only lists all my online books with options to download. How can I play this already downloaded book?

2. I am in compatibility mode. It will NOT go to landscape view. Audible opens only in portrait mode with keyboard. Disabling compatibility mode doesn't help. How can I display in landscape view.

3. I am able to copy and paste books from my laptop to the MUSIC/Audible folder on the phone card using Windows Explorer. How do I tell the software to find the books I've copied to the card?

Blessings,
    Prof. GungHoRay
    01-22-09 10:44 PM
    Hey good news everyone!

I spoke with someone at Audible, and they are releasing in update soon. From what he said, they are a few weeks away from testing the storm version in beta version. So I am sure in a month or less there will be a touchscreen version of the player.
    01-23-09 09:01 AM
    How did you load the OTA software? I goto the link on the Audible Site

And my Storm says HTTP400 error - cant resolve the link. Please post the link/method you used to load Audible - Thx.
    01-23-09 07:56 PM
    I wish I could help you more. It's been a week since I did that. I loaded the software by choosing the Mobile Phone Blackberry 8800 in the Devices Section of Audible.com. I had to figure out how to manipulate the selection menu on the Storm, but finally got it by using the space bar to toggle and the BB menu button to select OK. Sorry, but I forgot what option I was selecting, but it was an issue to select it....

The software then downloaded without a hitch and no error messages. The Audible Program appears under the DOWNLOAD tab. Unfortunately, I can't find books I transfer from my laptop via USB. Audible only plays in Portrait view too.

Guess waiting another few weeks isn't terrible.

Sorry this wasn't more informative, but I've not had enough success to warrant jumping though these hoops to play a book.
    01-23-09 08:48 PM
    Audible is actively working on new versions. The storm version is two or three weeks out, but they are making good progress. I was able to get a glimpse of the new version, just not for the Storm. It looks really nice and I think everyone will be very pleased. I know that I for one am looking with great anticipation to dumping my iPod Touch and listening to my Audible books exclusively on the Storm!
    01-23-09 09:30 PM
    For some reason when tried to goto the actual URL for OTA it would come up with a HTTP400 error - when I navigated from audible.com via the BB I was able to find and DL the OTA software. Using it is another story - on .90 it is a CRASH machine - locked up the BB at least 4 times before I gave up trying to use it.

Agree - navigating is a PITA and I have also been reading about the beta versions for Storm although I'm not sure they are going to be able to replace my reliance on a PPC for Audible.

Problem I 'm seeing with the beta is that it appears everything is still OTA model - your content is STREAMED which IMO is a non starter - having to be teathered to their servers to listen to your AA files SUCKS.

Audible is a KILLER app for me - and if they are not able to put together at least the same functionality they provide for the PPC then I'm probably going to be stuck Duel Weilding (PPC and BB). I rely on WSJ and NYT daily and being able to dl these automatically via Audible Air is essential.
    01-24-09 11:42 AM
    Like you, I've got more than 200 books. I was able to copy and paste the .aa file from my laptop to the card on my Storm. I just can't see it or set the default folder in the Storm Aubile Player software.

I'm guessing this will work just fine in a few weeks. The greatest hurdle should be the GUI, not the platform on which the books are heard. Just guessing, though. You can take everything I know about programming and put it in a thimble and have room for your thumb.

Happy listening,
    Prof. GungHoRay
    01-24-09 04:27 PM
    yea audible was messing up big time in .90
    01-24-09 05:01 PM
    Yep - what a PITA. No chance of getting the Storm recognized in Audible Manager -- I assumed this would work and I could just manualy move over my WSJ, etc.... Looks like I'll be carrying my I760 along on this BTRIP.

Anyone have anymore info on the beta?
    01-27-09 10:09 PM
    Thanks for keeping up with this. Post as soon as you know. I wrote Audible and offered to beta test the software. Went into the "ignore" file. No response at all.

Watching the site every few days in the Device Center to see if they've added Storm.

BTW, best ever books read are Follet's Pillars of the Earth and World Without End. If you like Biblical Historical Fiction, check out Lynn Austin's Gods and Kings. Incredible prose and historically accurate like Follett.
    Prof. GungHoRay
    01-27-09 10:16 PM
    Like others I'm waiting anxiously for the new version, I wish though they'll be able to figure out how to download subscriptions too not just books. Audible claims that blackberry on the Verizon networks will not work due to limitations with Vz having some 1mb packet sizes but I think they are incorrect here. I was able to do an RSS feed of the NYT in to Podtrapper and it (with some tweaking) was able to download the paper just fine but could not play it. This is I assume because of the security on the file which Podtrapper does not seem to be able to handle. So if Podtrapper can handle the streaming of the RSS then why can't Audibleair?! Sounds like a scapegoat for them not being able to figure it out.

Steve
    01-28-09 08:33 AM
110 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD