So, i am demo'ing some ATT devices at work and i put an ATT SIM in my unlocked VZW storm. I noticed right away that I can send a text as long as as I want and it will format it into multiple texts for me. I always thought it was a limitation of the BB software, when in fact, it looks like a VAW limitation.

how bout them apples!

disclaimer - i apologize if this has been posted before.
    05-28-09 12:54 AM
    it is actually a CDMA berry limitation

what you're referring to is called "EMS" (enhanced messaging service i believe)

without EMS you're limited to 160 characters

GSM berries have this capability...
    05-28-09 01:24 AM
    Are you texting on VZW's network though?
    05-28-09 01:39 AM
    if you're using an ATT SIM on the storm, then the GSM portion of the device kicks in, and you get EMS...

there was a thread about someone who had no CDMA coverage, and got the "sos" indicator, and they got the EMS prompt (1/7 or whatever it says) in the sms message...
    05-28-09 01:42 AM
    so to clarify, if the device has GSM capabilities, then the sms message will recognize that, and offer EMS. if it is only CDMA then it won't come up. we call that "dynamic response" or something...honestly, i just made that term up, but it sounds badass!
    05-28-09 01:43 AM
    so to clarify, if the device has GSM capabilities, then the sms message will recognize that, and offer EMS. if it is only CDMA then it won't come up. we call that "dynamic response" or something...honestly, i just made that term up, but it sounds badass!
    LOL...I'm gonna have to remember that one!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 05:09 AM
    Verizon dumb phones have ems. They're not split up on either end that I can tell. Possible they are, though.

And of course I can receive and read ems messages from verizon customers just fine. I just can't send them, even though all vzw dumb phones I've used can.... It's the one single thing I miSs from pre-berry days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-09 05:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD