Hey All...

I have a storm 1 that recently fell into some water... after i let it dry, it works well MOST of the time, aside from the occasional flicker in the screen, which gets pretty annoying. I have an upgrade coming up in a couple months and was wondering how I proceed. I can either use an old curve, keep the storm with its problems, or file an asurion claim. I was wondering if anyone has recently filed an asurion claim for the storm 1. I only ask to see whether they replaced it with a storm 1 or storm 2. If storm 1, I may just use curve and deal with that for a couple months so im not out $50... if storm 2, it may be worth $50 for two months use.

Thanks,

y2nicco
    07-14-10 01:26 AM
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. Dropped my Storm into a cup of juice. Phone works fine after it dried out with the exception of the buttons on the bottom of it. I did file a claim with Asurion and with a 50 Dollar deductible, I would've received another Storm.

Rather than spend the money to get another Storm, I went ahead and purchased a Moto Droid. Didn't want to be bothered with a Storm anymore and I'm glad I jumped ship.
    07-14-10 05:10 PM
    Thanks for your input. Just to clarify, they gave you the option of having a storm one through insurance? or the storm two? I may wait to upgrade until Q1 or Q2 of next year so a $50 storm 2 would beat a storm 1.
    07-15-10 02:26 AM
    Thanks for your input. Just to clarify, they gave you the option of having a storm one through insurance? or the storm two? I may wait to upgrade until Q1 or Q2 of next year so a $50 storm 2 would beat a storm 1.
    I'm interested in this too. Maybe I should treat my phone a little more ruggedly and let something "unfortunate" happen to receive a Storm2?

Just a thought I mean, I have paid Asurion like $150 without any claims...
    07-16-10 03:22 PM
    Also, I must add - do NOT say you dropped it in water because there are time concerns. I believe it's during a specific time period like 30 or 60 days where you have to make the claim.

Just say that you lost the phone.
    07-16-10 03:33 PM
    This happened to me a few weeks ago. Dropped my Storm into a cup of juice. Phone works fine after it dried out with the exception of the buttons on the bottom of it. I did file a claim with Asurion and with a 50 Dollar deductible, I would've received another Storm.

Rather than spend the money to get another Storm, I went ahead and purchased a Moto Droid. Didn't want to be bothered with a Storm anymore and I'm glad I jumped ship.
    It would have been a Storm 1.
    07-16-10 06:06 PM
    I recently got a new-in-box S2 as a replacement for my S1, but it was an unusual situation.

The center bb/back button on my S1 got caught in my pocket & broke. I did the Asurion claim online and got a refurb S1 as a replacement.

The refurb was a defective POS. If I did a battery pull, it would lose everything -- apps, service books, email accounts, calendar, theme settings -- EVERYTHING. If I did a soft reset with MeterBerry, it would keep whatever was on the phone at that time... but if I did a battery pull, it would go back to where it was on the soft reset.

I called Asurion and got a very patient customer service rep. I explained the problem in detail... calmly, politely... and he asked to do a little troubleshooting, joking that it would probably take a few battery pulls and reboots, and "We'll probably be best friends by the time it's over."

Along the line, while waiting for one of the several reboots, I mentioned that I had considered upgrading to an S2, but was waiting for the next gen.

After a couple of reboots, he sent me an email and made sure I received it, then asked me to do a battery pull. Sure enough, it was gone when the reboot was done.

He said, "Doesn't sound like there's much point in going through this again... I'm going to see a new replacement... and I'll see if I can get you a Storm 2."

Sure enough, the next day I got a new in box S2. They even tossed a car charger and a belt case into the outer box.

It's obvious Asurion reps have authority to do upgrades. I think the key is being patient and polite.
    07-17-10 12:16 AM
    I really need to know if asurion will do the upgrade for me..I lost my Storm 1 and kinda hated it in the first place because of the lack of wifi, low amount of ram, and constant freezing. I'de only be willing to pay the deductible if my replacement was a storm 2. Verizon doesn't even sell storm 1s anymore. If not, I'm saving those $50 for the Droid X. What should I do? Any asurion rep in disguise out there?
    07-22-10 09:11 PM
    Put the 50 towards the Droid X.
    07-23-10 08:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD