What good is it going to be to have an app store if all you have is a phone that can't hold hardly anything? If RIM knew they was creating the App store why would they not follow Iphone and make it either internal memory or allow apps to be put on an SD card?
    03-05-09 01:01 PM
    I have over 30 apps right now (not including launchers) and I still have 45mb left of my 128 mb.

BB apps are small in size usually only a few hundred kb's. I think everyone is getting worked up over nothing right now. When apps start reaching the 5-10mb per app size then we can get worked up.
    03-05-09 01:05 PM
    As Dmg said... this complaint is floating around a lot, but it's unrealistic. You can cram quite a bit into the app memory.

Additionally, who's gonna go installing every app they can get their hands on from the app store?
    03-05-09 01:07 PM
    03-05-09 01:11 PM
    If it is anything like a Iphone/Ipod touch it will be a problem... I have the touch with around 25 to 30 apps and it takes up 134mb of memory.... The apps are going to get bigger in size since there will be a set market for them now.....
    03-05-09 01:15 PM
    That is a pretty good idea but hopefully it will not come to that... Maybe the new OS will allow for apps to be stored on the memory card...
    03-05-09 01:18 PM
    Also, from what I understand, the memory we all monitory is like RAM. Even having a lot installed, so long as they're not running, won't kill your memory too badly.
    I don't ahve nearly 30 apps, yet I am currently maxing out at 32MB of memory, even with nothing but the defauls open.
    03-05-09 01:19 PM
    If it is anything like a Iphone/Ipod touch it will be a problem... I have the touch with around 25 to 30 apps and it takes up 134mb of memory.... The apps are going to get bigger in size since there will be a set market for them now.....
    Some apps on the iphone / touch are in excess of 100mb per app. Blackberry apps tend to be much smaller in size though. I'm not saying 128mb is enough memory though but 128mb will be fine until RIM comes out with a solution.
    03-05-09 01:33 PM
    Card Loader sucks. All it does is allow you to store the installation files on the card. Then if you want to use an app you have to install it to the phone and then uninstall it when done. It's a PITA to use and not at all a good answer to storage limitations. I've said it before, all RIM needs to do is open up the 1 GB of onboard memory. That will be more than enough to hold apps. Most of us store all our pictures and stuff on the cards, so there is PLENTY of room left in the internal storage memory for application. I have 810 MB available internally that is just wasted and useless space. Open it up RIM and let me make use of it!
    03-05-09 02:48 PM
    Card Loader sucks. All it does is allow you to store the installation files on the card. Then if you want to use an app you have to install it to the phone and then uninstall it when done. It's a PITA to use and not at all a good answer to storage limitations. I've said it before, all RIM needs to do is open up the 1 GB of onboard memory. That will be more than enough to hold apps. Most of us store all our pictures and stuff on the cards, so there is PLENTY of room left in the internal storage memory for application. I have 810 MB available internally that is just wasted and useless space. Open it up RIM and let me make use of it!
    Ugh, I didn't realize that's how Card Loader works. I read a blog on CIO.com a while back where a RIM exec was talking about this very issue in conjunction with the app store.

Basically he said that once you buy an app from their app store, you will be able to uninstall and reinstall as many times as you like. He was suggesting that would be the go to work around and cited security has one of the major hurdles to allowing 3rd party apps on an SD card...

RIM Developer Exec Mike Kirkup on BlackBerry App Memory Problem, Storefront | CIO - Blogs and Discussion
    03-05-09 02:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD