I am running, weatherbug, talklock, VyMail, Opera Mini, Capture It, and BuzzMe. I go to Options/Memory and it says my Application Memory Free Space is 37.7MB.

I keep reading about memory leaks and various apps considerably slowing down peoples phones. I cannot piece the information together to make sense of it all.

Could someone please explain if I am in fact checking the actual free memory that my phone is running on, what I want to keep that number at, etc etc. When the phone gets below a certain amount of free memory I should power down and battery pull to reset it!?!?

Thanks for helping a newb!
    01-28-09 02:03 PM
    Long story short, there is NO magic number to keep your phone at. App memory will go up, down, do a loop de loop, you name it. Ultimately it's just a number. If your phone starts slowing to what is an unacceptable level to YOU, then consider closing some apps, removing a few you don't really need, or doing a battery pull.

There's a saying in the land of IT: Free RAM is wasted RAM. It doesn't do you any good to have a bunch of RAM just sitting idle, never being used.

Memory leaks are really only possible for apps that are running. Once you close an app, the memory it used should automatically be marked as available for use by other apps, though it may NOT necessarily appear as an increase in your free app mem for quite some time.

The moral of the story here, is not to get hung up on a number, but to worry about tangible things, like how is the phone's performance in YOUR opinion. Since you're the one using it, yours is the only opinion that counts. If it seems significantly slower than the average, steps might need to be taken to restore functionality. Otherwise, if it's working fine, why worry about a silly number?
    01-28-09 02:29 PM
    I only have WeatherBug, Capture It, Viigo (not always running though), Quickpull, Google Maps (not running), and my memory hovers around 25mb it used to shoot from 30 to about 1 lol but i got rid of TalkLock and things seem to be leveling out. I haven't really been using it toooooo much though.
    01-28-09 02:35 PM
    Good deal. I got the phone and started adding apps immediately, so, I dont have a whole lot to base performance on as far as speed before the apps. I will just keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
    01-28-09 02:37 PM
    I've deleted a ton of apps. 41MB.

It trickles down to 25MB though after a week.
    01-28-09 02:41 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD