I am new to the forums but have been researching and didn't find what i was looking for.

In order to free up Application Memory, is there any way I can store downloads or applications on my memory card instead of the phone itself?

Help would be much appreciated
    03-01-09 12:35 PM
    no you cannot.
    03-01-09 12:39 PM
    There are applications out there that allow you to store the app installer files on the media card and install from there, but that is it. Running apps from removable media is not secure, which is one of the main reasons it is not done
    03-01-09 12:41 PM
    There is an application out there that will automatically copy apps from the memory card to the internal memory when you launch them. I can't remember the name though. I don't understand all the fuss over memory. I have a ton of third party apps (slacker, pyont, podtrapper, and more) as well as sheets to go suite, vz nav, facebook and I still settle at 20+ meg. Plenty in my opinion.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-01-09 12:42 PM
    thanks for the quick replies
    03-01-09 12:42 PM
    03-01-09 12:43 PM
    whenever i pull my battery and it starts back up, i have about 38 megs. about 12 hours later, i have 3 or 4 megs... it kinda makes me mad cause i don't really have many apps at all
    03-01-09 12:44 PM
    no you cannot.
    There is away. Well kinda.
    03-01-09 12:44 PM
    i read the thread about moving applications into folders to reduce the amount of icons present on the main screen and i was already doing the battery pull, but i still dont' think my memory should go down to only 4 megs after being on for 12 or so hours
    03-01-09 12:46 PM
    anyone else have any ideas about the correlation between application memory depletion and duration of the phone being on?

am i just going to have to deal with pulling my battery every once and a while?
    03-01-09 12:48 PM
    anyone else have any ideas about the correlation between application memory depletion and duration of the phone being on?

Other than how to make the Storm look, act and feel like an iPhone, this is the most discussed issue on cb. If you have a few free hours, start reading (lol).

To make it simple, dl quick pull or soft reset and use it once a day and it should make you worry a lot less about available memory.
    03-01-09 12:59 PM
    whenever i pull my battery and it starts back up, i have about 38 megs. about 12 hours later, i have 3 or 4 megs... it kinda makes me mad cause i don't really have many apps at all
    Then just take a deep breath and repeat after me: It's just a phone. It's not worth getting upset over.

Keep saying that until it sinks in.
    03-01-09 01:01 PM
    I wish thee was a way around this but for now we need to Deal with the limitation

Last edited by HarlyFan; 03-01-09 at 02:27 PM.
    03-01-09 02:23 PM
    There is no limitation. The application memory is like the RAM in your PC. Changing where the apps are installed won't change the amount of free app memory. With nearly 1gb of on-device storage, space for apps shouldn't be an issue.

03-01-09 03:05 PM

Here is what you need to do:

1. Go to Options.. Security Options.. General Settings.. and Disable Content Compression. This is unnecessary for most users.. all it does is take a small copy of every file/msg on your phone and hide it. Now unless you're on a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) realistically you will never be able to retrieve these files even if you wanted them.. SO there's no need for it to be doing this. It just takes up your memory for no reason.

2. Go to Options.. Security Options.. Memory Cleaning.. and Make sure that it is Enabled. This is pretty vital for all Blackberrys to have on to clean out all of your garbage on your phone (ie deleted files.. cache.. ect) And you can even set an Icon on your home screen so you can clean your phone randomly throughout the day.

These are just small things that you can do to improve your memory issues on your phone, but always remember when you're wanting to close a program the End Key doesn't actually close them, it simply only minimizes it.. causing it to continue to run on your device. So always be sure to use the back key or hit menu and close it manually!
    03-01-09 07:01 PM
    Thanks for the info 9-5sme! I turned on the Memory Cleaning option as well as the option to place an icon on the home screen; however, I don't see the icon... Any ideas? I tried a battery pull too...
    03-01-09 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the info 9-5sme! I turned on the Memory Cleaning option as well as the option to place an icon on the home screen; however, I don't see the icon... Any ideas? I tried a battery pull too...
    well if you have a theme on your phone it may have put it in an odd file such as one of the application files.. and if it's still not in one of those try hitting menu and show all it could be hidden for some reason. Other than that it should have popped up at the bottom of your list it looks like a fax/shredder.
    03-01-09 08:35 PM
    Here is what you need to do:

1. Go to Options.. Security Options.. General Settings.. and Disable Content Compression. This is unnecessary for most users.. all it does is take a small copy of every file/msg on your phone and hide it. Now unless you're on a BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) realistically you will never be able to retrieve these files even if you wanted them.. SO there's no need for it to be doing this. It just takes up your memory for no reason.

2. Go to Options.. Security Options.. Memory Cleaning.. and Make sure that it is Enabled. This is pretty vital for all Blackberrys to have on to clean out all of your garbage on your phone (ie deleted files.. cache.. ect) And you can even set an Icon on your home screen so you can clean your phone randomly throughout the day.

These are just small things that you can do to improve your memory issues on your phone, but always remember when you're wanting to close a program the End Key doesn't actually close them, it simply only minimizes it.. causing it to continue to run on your device. So always be sure to use the back key or hit menu and close it manually!
    thanks for the tip!
    03-02-09 12:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD