There's nothing I love more than bashing iphone users with their lame small keyboard..but when it comes to speed they can move a lot faster.
    Maybe someone can make an app that let's you toggle surepress and a touch only keyboard.
    WE do all want to embarrass iphone users don't we? At least with our storm we can choose how to
    type.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 07:26 PM
    I don't think this is possible without modding the os
    02-22-09 07:33 PM
    I don't think this is possible without modding the os
    How difficult would that be? "Mod" it then! I would love this option! I like surepress when web surfing but would like to have the option just to tap when typing.
    02-22-09 07:46 PM
    It's not possible!

Unless RIM comes out with it then it can't be done.

You also can't "mod" the os. All the files are in the .cod format which can't be uncompiled. Unless you have the source code it just can't be done.
    02-22-09 07:49 PM
    this was part of the reason i wanted to learn to make bb apps was to make this. an app may be possible to load like quicklaunch.
    02-22-09 07:53 PM
    man someone realy need to jailbrake the bb storm so we can run unsigned apps and mod the os
    02-22-09 07:54 PM
    It's not possible!

You also can't "mod" the os. All the files are in the .cod format which can't be uncompiled. Unless you have the source code it just can't be done.
    Thanks for the info. RIM would never do that then, would they? It would be like admitting defeat, that their surepress isn't the fastest way to type.
    02-22-09 07:55 PM
    It wouldn't be possible to make an app that runs in the background that could be brought up when you need a keyboard? Like screenlock or capture it where its available in all menus? You could just hide the stock keyboard and bring up 3rd party one?

Personally I like SureType so I don't care but I know others do.

02-22-09 07:59 PM
    the phone was made to click if u dont like it then u shouldnt have got it imo
    02-22-09 08:04 PM
    Can a 3rd party app be made to send texts without SureType? Like opera mini

02-22-09 09:46 PM
    the phone was made to click if u dont like it then u shouldnt have got it imo

No, there are several reasons to get this phone that have nothing to do with clicking. There should at least be an option to turn it on or off.
    02-22-09 09:50 PM
    No, there are several reasons to get this phone that have nothing to do with clicking. There should at least be an option to turn it on or off.
    I agree this phone of ours is so versatile that there should be a keyboard that you wouldnt have to click - more options is always better than no options. Maybe someone can break down some of the code in the opera mini browser and make a 3rd party non click keyboard.
    02-22-09 10:14 PM
    yeah that would be amazing. So is it confirmed that this would be possible?
    I think it would be interesting to try during just normal texting as well as internet. Would i be possible for both?
    I would pay for an app to do this.
    02-23-09 12:08 AM
    Maybe someone should email RIM! We need to find out

02-23-09 01:23 AM
    Opera is a pure java app that is why you don't need to click.

02-23-09 06:17 AM
    It's not possible!

I am always looking for some possible keyboard action so I thought I would ring in again. This explains why no one has designed a new keyboard. I must say it still is a bummer. There are so many imaginative ways the keyboard can be used.

I am a HUGE fan of the surepress screen on everything but the keyboard. It is a big help in everything else in the OS. I can use it just fine with the keyboard but I would like to try the keyboard without it to see the difference. I use my BB for a lot of typing and sometimes get some funny looks in meetings with the constant click click LOL, however everyone is used to it by now though.

My dream BB would be a storm with a slide out portrait keyboard. Ahh maybe some day.
    03-28-09 05:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD