check it out...no more need to use other apps to remove DRM or burn/rip again

Changes Coming to the iTunes Store

Changes Coming to the iTunes Store

* All Songs DRM-Free
    * Users Can Download Songs Directly Onto iPhone 3G Over Their 3G Network for the Same Price
    * In April 2009, Songs on iTunes Will be Available at Three Price Points

SAN FRANCISCO�January 6, 2009�Apple� today announced several changes to the iTunes� Store (Apple - iTunes). Beginning today, all four major music labels�Universal Music Group, Sony BMG, Warner Music Group and EMI, along with thousands of independent labels, are now offering their music in iTunes Plus, Apple�s DRM-free format with higher-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding for audio quality virtually indistinguishable from the original recordings. iTunes customers can also choose to download their favorite songs from the world�s largest music catalog directly onto their iPhone� 3G over their 3G network just as they do with Wi-Fi today, for the same price as downloading to their computer. And beginning in April, based on what the music labels charge Apple, songs on iTunes will be available at one of three price points: 69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29, with most albums still priced at $9.99.

�We are thrilled to be able to offer our iTunes customers DRM-free iTunes Plus songs in high quality audio and our iPhone 3G customers the ability to download music from iTunes anytime, anywhere over their 3G network at the same price as downloading to your computer or via Wi-Fi,� said Steve Jobs, Apple�s CEO. �And in April, based on what the music labels charge Apple, songs on iTunes will be available at one of three price points�69 cents, 99 cents and $1.29�with many more songs priced at 69 cents than $1.29.�

iTunes offers customers a simple, one-click option to easily upgrade their entire library of previously purchased songs to the higher quality DRM-free iTunes Plus format for just 30 cents per song or 30 percent of the album price. The iTunes Store will begin offering eight million of its 10 million songs in Apple�s DRM-free format, iTunes Plus, today with the remaining two million songs offered in iTunes Plus by the end of March.

iPhone 3G users can now preview and purchase the entire iTunes Store music catalog on their iPhone 3G over their 3G network, just as they do with Wi-Fi today, for the same price and in the same high quality format. Songs purchased on an iPhone will automatically sync to a user�s computer the next time they sync their iPhone.

The iTunes Store is the world�s most popular online music, TV and movie store with a catalog of over 10 million songs, over 30,000 TV episodes and over 2,500 films including over 600 in stunning high definition video. With Apple�s legendary ease of use, pioneering features such as iTunes Movie Rentals, integrated podcasting support, the ability to turn previously purchased tracks into complete albums at a reduced price, and seamless integration with iPod� and iPhone, the iTunes Store is the best way for Mac� and PC users to legally discover, purchase and download music and video online.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.
    01-06-09 05:12 PM
    Awesome if it actually goes though

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-06-09 05:16 PM
    check the source
    01-06-09 05:20 PM
    This will definitely change the game.
    01-06-09 05:21 PM
    Awesome if it actually goes though

It has gone through. Its a done deal. Up and running. Legit. Ready to go. Want more?
    01-06-09 05:24 PM
    Huge step in the right direction.
    01-06-09 05:35 PM
    Only because Amazon fid it first and is making mega bucks. Any way, have to give some credit to the pirates and hacks.

01-06-09 06:25 PM
    Sweet! I still prefer the physical album, though.

I wonder what happens to music already purchased with drm. Will they remove the protection?

Last edited by limjelo; 01-06-09 at 06:40 PM.
    01-06-09 06:37 PM
    i doubt it...
    01-06-09 06:43 PM
    Sorry for the dumb question, but since I don't use iTunes I don't know; what happens now that the music is not DRM?
    01-06-09 06:45 PM
    DRM was the worst idea in the world in the first place. I understand they want to prevent piracy but to tell customers that once they buy a song all they can do is put it on an iPod and that's basically it? Cmon now.
    01-06-09 06:48 PM
    Sweet! I still prefer the physical album, though.

I wonder what happens to music already purchased with drm. Will they remove the protection?

You pay $0.30 per song that falls under the itunes plus category and it will redownload a drm free version of the song. It did 120 of my 300+ songs I have purchased through iTunes. I might start using them again if they can price match Amazon since that is who I have been using for the past 3-4 months now.
    01-06-09 06:53 PM
    I can't figure out what the difference is between the iTunes Plus and regular iTunes is though.
    01-06-09 07:39 PM
    No DRM on itunes plus, therefore can transfer and play on Storm without having to strip the DRM protection.
    01-06-09 09:53 PM
    here's some info from iTunes on this - I was able to find the answers to some of my questions on this new venture Apples is taking. Hope this is helpful. I found not all the songs in my library will convert due to issues with the record label not releasing the DRM.

I still have a few questions- I have sent Apple an email- when I get the answers I will post them here.

iTunes Store: iTunes Plus Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    Last Modified: December 04, 2008
    Article: HT1711
    Old Article: 305567

Summary
    What is iTunes Plus?
    iTunes Plus refers to songs and music videos available in our highest-quality 256 kbps AAC encoding (twice the current bit rate of 128 kbps), and without digital rights management (DRM). There are no burn limits and iTunes Plus music will play on all iPods, Mac or Windows computers, Apple TVs, and many other digital music players.

iTunes DRM-protected music includes audio with a bit rate of 128 kbps and allows users to transfer songs and videos to up to five computers, burn seven copies of the same playlist to CD, and sync to an unlimited number of iPods.

Products Affected
    iTunes Store, iTunes

How much does iTunes Plus music cost?
    iTunes Plus songs, music videos, and albums are available at the same price as DRM-protected versions content.

Can I upgrade previously purchased music to iTunes Plus?
    Yes. Any available upgrades will be shown on the Upgrade My Library page (Music received for free is not eligible for upgrade.). You can upgrade all music at once by using the Buy button. This replaces all music you've bought previously on iTunes with available iTunes Plus versions of the same music. You cannot choose which songs, music videos or albums to upgrade individually. Song upgrades are available for $0.30, video upgrades for $0.60, and albums for 30% of the album price. iTunes Plus music will continually be added to iTunes, so check back often to find new music available for upgrading.

You can upgrade all your eligible items to iTunes Plus by clicking here.

Can I still buy music encoded at 128 Kbps with Digital Rights Management (DRM)?
    Yes, you can still buy music encoded at 128 kbps with DRM. However, music which is available in iTunes Plus will replace DRM-protected music on the iTunes Store.

Is there a change in video quality for iTunes Plus videos?
    No, the video quality remains the same. iTunes Plus means that the music videos are offered DRM-free and with our highest-quality audio within the video, 256 kbps AAC (twice the current bit rate of 128 kbps).

Where can I find iTunes Plus music?
    iTunes Plus music can be found on all iTunes Stores worldwide. The iTunes Plus page will highlight new content available in this new format.

How do I purchase and play iTunes Plus music?
    First, upgrade to the latest version of iTunes. Music and music videos available in iTunes Plus are indicated as such on the album or video page or track list. To purchase, simply click the Buy button as you would for any other music on the store.

What happens to my existing files when I upgrade my music to iTunes Plus?
    Your upgraded iTunes Plus music will replace the original purchases in your library. You will be given an option to delete the original files or move them to your desktop at time of download.

Why is iTunes Plus format available for certain music, but not all?
    The reason that certain music and music videos are not offered in our DRM-free, highest quality audio format is because they have not been provided in iTunes Plus format from the music label.

If I have a free song or video code, can I redeem it for an iTunes Plus song or video?
    Yes. If you have a code for any free song or video you can redeem it for an iTunes Plus song or video.

In what countries is iTunes Plus available?
    iTunes Plus is available in all countries that have an iTunes Store.

How does Complete My Album work for iTunes Plus?
    If you've purchased a single at 128 kbps with DRM and want the iTunes Plus version of the remaining tracks, you may use Complete My Album. The Complete My Album offer will deliver the remaining tracks in iTunes Plus.

Can I give iTunes Plus music as a gift?
    Yes. To find out more about how to send gifts from the iTunes Store click here.

Can I use iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates to pay for iTunes Plus music?
    Yes, you can use iTunes Gift Cards and iTunes Gift Certificates to pay for iTunes Plus music and upgrades.

What do I need in order to purchase and play iTunes Plus music?
    You'll need to upgrade to the latest version of iTunes to preview, purchase, and play iTunes Plus music
    01-06-09 10:46 PM
    So far iTunes drm free music seems only available in the U.S. a small step but hopefully they'll clear this up because that would really stink.
    01-06-09 11:22 PM
    Will this change digital copies of blue ray movies as well since they too are DRM protected?

01-07-09 10:09 AM
    Will this change digital copies of blue ray movies as well since they too are DRM protected?
    no, most likely not.
    01-07-09 10:57 AM
    If you use DM with Media Plug-in it can transfer iTunes songs already. What's the difference?
    01-07-09 11:41 AM
    If you use DM with Media Plug-in it can transfer iTunes songs already. What's the difference?
    It wouldn't transfer songs that were purchased from iTunes. They have DRM protection and will only transfer to iPods, no other MP3 players.

Obviously you have never tried to sync purchased music or you would understand completely. No DRM means it will play and transfer to any device, not just an Apple product.
    01-07-09 12:28 PM
    Isnt competition grand? Thank you amazon and rhapsody.

I can tell you this though, since Itunes is last to make this move AND they are charging to release the DRM I will continue to shop Rhapsody first. If they dont have it I will then go to itunes.
    01-07-09 12:37 PM
    You pay $0.30 per song that falls under the itunes plus category and it will redownload a drm free version of the song. It did 120 of my 300+ songs I have purchased through iTunes. I might start using them again if they can price match Amazon since that is who I have been using for the past 3-4 months now.

You spent $40 to un-DRM your songs?
    01-07-09 12:59 PM
    Any way, have to give some credit to the pirates and hacks.
    Uh, no. You can give credit to Amazon and Rhapsody for proving that a DRM-free direct download solution was not only possible, but popular.
    01-07-09 01:00 PM
    Here's where to click if your lost...
    01-07-09 01:22 PM
    this is somewhat of a n00b question i apologize, normally try to stray from the n00b trail. I am picking up a storm on friday. I have a mac, i know i will be able to get it onto my my storm using my mac, thats not the problem. But i rarely purchase things from itunes, but when i download from the internet or put a cd in and put it on itunes, everything is converted to MP4, will this still play on the storm once i transfer the files over? id rather not go through the hassle of stripping the DRM or converting the files back to MP3 any help would be greatly appreciated! thanks
    01-07-09 06:18 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD