I searched but can't find answer.

When composiong e-mail or SMS is there shortcut for an apostrophe or commas.

Currently I switch to SYM, select apostrophe or comma and then back to typing.

Very inneficient.
    02-21-09 09:52 AM
    just try hitting the !?123
    02-21-09 10:04 AM
    For common words like can't and didn't, just type it without it and the system will add it. For other cases I haven't found a shortcut.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 10:19 AM
    this really irks me as well....there needs to be a shortcut at least for a comma. i can live without the apostrophe.
    02-21-09 10:51 AM
    Only thing I know is to add the apostrophe'd word to the dictionary while typing so it won't bug you again, or to add a bunch of anticipated words via Edit Auto Text.

No help for the commas - bugs the crap out of me, too. Seems an easy fix for the next s/w upgrade would just make shift-period type a comma.
    02-21-09 11:13 AM
    i created an auto text. if i type <space> <c> <c> and then <space> i get a space and then a comma. it's not perfect but it works.
    02-21-09 11:48 AM
    found this on a crackberry post (F2):

b %b! for exclamation point
    v %b? for question mark
    n %b, for comma

best part is that it eliminates the lead space before the punctuation mark

i.e.

So, if I type:

So n if I type

It comes out like that first sentence
    02-21-09 05:39 PM
    found this on a crackberry post (F2):

b %b! for exclamation point
    v %b? for question mark
    n %b, for comma

best part is that it eliminates the lead space before the punctuation mark

i.e.

So, if I type:

So n if I type

It comes out like that first sentence

I'm sure I'm just ********, but I can't get this to work for a comma. I'm hoping that you aren't suggesting that we actually type n %b. Going to another screen to get the % key is no different than just going to another screen to get the actual comma. Please clarify for idiots like me, what is the shortcut for a comma.

Thanks,

Grey
    02-27-09 10:08 AM
    I'm sure I'm just ********, but I can't get this to work for a comma. I'm hoping that you aren't suggesting that we actually type n %b. Going to another screen to get the % key is no different than just going to another screen to get the actual comma. Please clarify for idiots like me, what is the shortcut for a comma.

Thanks,

Grey
    I think those are meant to be autotext entries.
    02-27-09 10:13 AM
    Is it so hard to hit the 123 key?
    02-27-09 10:14 AM
    I think those are meant to be autotext entries.
    Yes.

Go into Auto Text and create a new entry.

Use whatever key combo you would like (I use "cc") as the hot key and use (without the quotes) "%b," as the replacement.

So, if I type:

John cc where are you

It comes out :

John, where are you
    02-27-09 10:34 AM
    Is it so hard to hit the 123 key?
    Much harder than hitting space-c-c-space.
    02-27-09 10:35 AM
    Much harder than hitting space-c-c-space.
    Let me see if I have this right.

i can create an autotext entry that gives me _cc_=%b.

this gives me a shortcut which requires 4 keystrokes over the normal method of two keystrokes.

i really don't think that is the definition of a shortcut.
    02-27-09 10:40 AM
    I agree, hitting 123 is definitely easier.
    02-27-09 11:11 AM
    OP:

For apostrophes, if you look at your autotext dictionary, you will find that most contracted terms (those that require apostrophes) are already in there, including possessives. Faster to just learn the text shortcut.

Most are straight-forward: arent, cant, hes, shes.

Some are special:

hel = he'll
    il = I'll
    itsa = it's a
    shel = she'll
    wel = we'll
    wer = we're

02-27-09 11:21 AM
    OP:

For apostrophes, if you look at your autotext dictionary, you will find that most contracted terms (those that require apostrophes) are already in there, including possessives. Faster to just learn the text shortcut.

Most are straight-forward: arent, cant, hes, shes.

Some are special:

hel = he'll
    il = I'll
    itsa = it's a
    shel = she'll
    wel = we'll
    wer = we're

Oh cool, I didn't know about those special ones. I'm a grammar nazi for sure, even in texts let alone in e-mails for school or work. Thanks for this info, helps a lot!
    02-27-09 11:26 AM
    When it comes to apostrophes, for anything but "it's" and proper nouns, I just type it without and it inserts it for me. For commas I go to 123 and insert it. But I don't really think the simple number of keystrokes is the way to judge, because it takes an extra moment for the 123 screen to appear and then go away again.
    02-27-09 11:36 AM
    What is an "extra moment"?

It doesn't take any longer than hitting the shift key to make a capital letter.
    02-27-09 12:15 PM
    I don't know, I didn't bring a stopwatch to work with me today. But I'm sure the slight lag in switching keyboards is the equivalent of an extra keystoke for most people so a couple extra keystrokes likely amounts to the same amount of time used. That said, I use 123 when I need a comma. But I can see why people use the autotext and I doubt it takes longer for the extra keystrokes.
    02-27-09 12:18 PM
    Just put one in the autotxt dictionary.

A few cool entries I made up:

'L' = lol
    'LL' = >_> (I use that face a lot, I'm a sarcastic guy lol)
    'mmm' = ...
    'mm' = O.o
    'pp' = =P (Smile with tongue sticking out)

And I have more, like nvr = never, ppl = people, and stuff like that.

I can type A LOT faster by just editing shortcuts to a lot of words I use
    02-27-09 12:18 PM
    What is an "extra moment"?

It doesn't take any longer than hitting the shift key to make a capital letter.
    Just hold the key for an extra second to make the letter capital btw.

Also BTW = by the way in my autotxt dictionary.. just thought I'd share that idea
    02-27-09 12:19 PM
    BTW you don't need the shift key for a capital letter anyway! Just hold that sucker down. Again, I'm sure it takes the same amount of time. LOL.
    02-27-09 12:21 PM
    I don't like for my fingers to be idle that long.
    02-27-09 12:25 PM
    When it comes to apostrophes, for anything but "it's" and proper nouns, I just type it without and it inserts it for me. For commas I go to 123 and insert it. But I don't really think the simple number of keystrokes is the way to judge, because it takes an extra moment for the 123 screen to appear and then go away again.
    My Storm hasn't done this since day one, my old Curve did it. Is there a setting I am missing?
    05-06-09 10:25 PM
    Just put one in the autotxt dictionary.

A few cool entries I made up:

'mmm' = ...

If you hover over the period key it will give you a pop up with the 3 periods. just make sure your hover interval is set to your comfort level.
    05-07-09 01:13 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD