I saw an option of the phone where you can change from Global Services to 1xEV but i was wondering if there is an option for 1x only. Anyone know the answer to this?
    02-13-09 07:11 AM
    Not sure, but why would you want to?
    02-13-09 07:22 AM
    save on battery life. I do not frequently use browser and EVDO options so when i would need to i would just switch it back to EVDO.
    02-13-09 07:33 AM
    I don't see how that would save battery. That is just your connection, you aren't using it if its just there.
    02-13-09 07:35 AM
    1x only phones are a lot better on battery life than EVDO phones are. Especially if you are in an area that does not have constant EVDO service.
    02-13-09 07:59 AM
    1x only phones are a lot better on battery life than EVDO phones are. Especially if you are in an area that does not have constant EVDO service.
    Mmmmmm .... OK.
    02-13-09 08:01 AM
    No, you can not toggle off EDVO. The storm is programmed to lock on to the available tower signal. There is no user option to do so.

Even if you did, it would render the phone unusable.
    02-13-09 08:04 AM
    That makes no sense to me. If there wasnt constant EVDO service you wouldnt be on it anyway. The only way it would drain the battery was if your phone kept trying to connect with a EVDO tower it detected. Unless you keep going in and out it shouldn't drain the battery.
    02-13-09 08:06 AM
    If you only want 1x then get you a dumb old flip phone, why pay for the Blackberry service or get a smartphone when you don't even use it... That's sad that you even own a Storm...tsk tsk tsk...
    02-13-09 08:08 AM
    There are certain situations when i would rather not pick up EVDO, I didnt ask for you to get on here and criticize i asked for an answer to a simple question. Good job Bert.
    02-13-09 08:29 AM
    I don't believe that the Storm has that option either.

I guess your best option is to turn off data services (from 1xEV to 1xev).
    02-13-09 08:41 AM
    EVDO isnt a blackberry associated service, you cannot compare a 1x phone from 2004 to a 1x EVDO Rev. A phone. Apple to oranges...

Basically, making the statement that "x phones have battery life than y phones" is rediculous... unless you've used a no EvDO Storm...

Anyways, A ton of verizon phones incluindg many many dumbphones(read: non pda devices) including motorola flips use EvDO, so i dont know where your getting your information from...but it's simply false. As an aside, if your trying to just use the phone as a PDA you can turn your radio off.

Verizon Wireless uses a 3G technology (which means the way data is transmited) called EvDO... i'm not sure you fully understand what all of these protocals mean.

If you prefer EDGE or GSM 3G ... because you have some wierd preference for it... go unlock your storm and put it on ATT or TMobile or you could pick up a Blackberry 8700 which doesnt support 3G services or a blackberry curve which also doesnt support 3G... but those run on legacy data ... not some imaginary "super battery radio"
    02-13-09 08:51 AM
    Actually bigpants on most EVDO phones you have the option of turning EVDO off. Maybe not on the storm as we have learned.
    02-13-09 09:06 AM
    Actually bigpants on most EVDO phones you have the option of turning EVDO off. Maybe not on the storm as we have learned.
    Your right... upon further investigation... other phones (i.e. WinMo) have options ot disable EvDo... but i'm not sure that any CDMA Blackberry ever has had this option...
    02-13-09 09:23 AM
    go into mobile network under options. Switch where it says global to 1XEV and then turn data off by clicking on the top most button. See if that does anything for you.

Obviously you won't be able to use your data though.
    02-13-09 10:13 AM
    I just tried it, here is my result:
    The "manage connections" mobile network options>disable data only disables the RIM connection meaning "1xev" vs. "1XEV". Doesn't disable EVDO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 11:45 AM
    -1 FAIL!
    this thread doesn't make sense
    02-13-09 12:03 PM
    -1 FAIL!
    ^ That doesn't make sense.

People are curious about certain things. There are no stupid questions just stupid people. Likewise for threads. If you don't have constructive things to say don't read two pages of threads.

Sorry... Grouchy today.
    02-13-09 12:30 PM
    ^ That doesn't make sense.
    Are we throwing rocks in a glass house?
    02-13-09 01:06 PM
    Are we throwing rocks in a glass house?
    Yea I'm pretty sure
    02-13-09 01:28 PM
    if you wnt a 1x only phone go get one and just carry a pda around the purpose of a blackberry is to have basically a computer in your pocket
    02-13-09 02:13 PM
    Personally I would love to have the option. I have the Storm setup on Alltel and every time it connects to 1XEV, I lose my data ability. When it's running on 1X, I get BES/BIS and Browser. So if anyone comes with an idea, post it here.
    02-13-09 03:17 PM
    Turning off EVDO is not possible, BUT it could be a handy feature to help you save battery. There is NO need to insult the OP! The Storm DOES have battery issues.
    02-13-09 03:22 PM
    If any of you had ever lived in the WinMo world, where disabling this was necessary, you would understand. In the early days of EVDO, it's availability was limited to large Metro areas. I live in the Houston area and was able to use. If, for example, I traveled to North-West Arkansas or Tulsa, OK, it was not available and my Windows Mobile Smartphone would chew through an extended battery in 3 hours. However, I would turn off the seek for EVDO, fall back to 1xEV (with much slower data rates) and get better battery life. Not as good as the full EVDO, just better.

If I am not mistaken, on the Storm when you disable the data connection, the phone will change from 1xEV to 1xev, which indicates that you have defaulted back to the slower rate. I am not sure that this is going to help you now, as the default for Verizon is EVDO rev A everywhere that they have a signal and even though is still says EVDO, my understanding is that it is fairly different and doesn't exactly work the same way. It is now the primary data carrier, and I do no believe Verizon still has the other network available to fall back on. I guess there are still older phones connected out there, so perhaps it would still have to be there.

For me personally, I now find that the two areas of OK and AR that previously were problem areas now give me a full EVDO rev A signal.

This actually wasn't a stupid question at all. I knew exactly what you meant! :-)
    02-13-09 06:50 PM
    If any of you had ever lived in the WinMo world, where disabling this was necessary, you would understand. In the early days of EVDO, it's availability was limited to large Metro areas. I live in the Houston area and was able to use. If, for example, I traveled to North-West Arkansas or Tulsa, OK, it was not available and my Windows Mobile Smartphone would chew through an extended battery in 3 hours. However, I would turn off the seek for EVDO, fall back to 1xEV (with much slower data rates) and get better battery life. Not as good as the full EVDO, just better.

If I am not mistaken, on the Storm when you disable the data connection, the phone will change from 1xEV to 1xev, which indicates that you have defaulted back to the slower rate. I am not sure that this is going to help you now, as the default for Verizon is EVDO rev A everywhere that they have a signal and even though is still says EVDO, my understanding is that it is fairly different and doesn't exactly work the same way. It is now the primary data carrier, and I do no believe Verizon still has the other network available to fall back on. I guess there are still older phones connected out there, so perhaps it would still have to be there.

For me personally, I now find that the two areas of OK and AR that previously were problem areas now give me a full EVDO rev A signal.

This actually wasn't a stupid question at all. I knew exactly what you meant! :-)
    Wow you really have no idea what your talking about whatsoever. 1XEV is EVDO. 1xev just means you have a poor signal strength. Still EVDO revision A in both cases. The only slower signal is 1X as in 1XRTT. I have to agree with an earlier poster, there is no such thing as stupid posts only stupid people replying to them. Please know what your talking about before you start doling out technical data to the uninformed. It's makes the rest of us look bad. Rant off.
    02-16-09 10:08 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD