Hi

I got my Storm the day it came out and I love it, even though there are some well known issues and bugs. I have been reading the forums for a while and got some great tips. One thing that bugs me is the junky Media Sync app that BB supplies. It reads your iTunes library and sloooowly updates your Storm (and maybe other phones, but I don't know for sure what they use). Well, I got sick of the slowness and wrote my own desktop app for reading your iTunes library and displays a UI to send playlists and content to your storm. I don't know if you use other media sync utilities, but I thought I'd throw the question out to see if anyone else would be interested in this:

Advantages over BB's Media Sync
    -MUCH faster!
    --It reads and organizes my iTunes library in about 10 seconds, complete with playlists, and my library is about 40GB. The BB Sync takes a really long time just to read the library (at least on my machine)
    --After the first sync, it correctly skips over tracks that are already on the device and just copies the new ones. BB media sync seems to inexplicably hang on items that are already synced. Why doesn't it know to just skip them? Well, my utility does know to skip over them and wastes time only on the copy of new items and the deletion of unwanted items (before the sync begins). So to add one new podcast only takes about 30 seconds, not ten to twenty minutes.
    --I have plans for at least two new features at present: 1) On-the-fly playlists right from the UI and 2) a hack so that you can rate songs on your Storm and have it update your iTunes library the next time you sync.
    -Copies videos
    --Have a video podcast? Just add it to a (smart) playlist and it will sync like any other item in the playlist.

Disadvantages
    -I don't copy Album Art files
    --Work around
    ---Sort your iTunes collection by Album
    ---At the bottom left of your screen there should be 4 icons. Click the right-most one. It looks like a square with a triangle in it. Make sure the album art box displays. Click the album art boxes arrow to change it from "Now Playing" to "Selected Item"
    ---Highlight an album in your library (all the tracks for one album). If there is not artwork for it already, Right-click and choose Get Album Artwork.
    ---Once the album art displays in the box in the lower left, right click it and copy (while still keeping all the tracks in the album selected).
    ---Then right click in the album art box again and choose paste. This should write the album art right to the files in you have selected (at least it works for MP3 ID3 tags). Then your songs will have album art when they are moved to any device, including your storm.
    -Right now it copies everything in your playlist. None of my stuff is DRMed, so it's not a concern to me. I'll be working on the DRM and extension filtering as my next task.
    -That's about it as far as I can tell.

Yes, this is free. Donations will be welcome if anyone finds it useful.

NOTE:
    -This is a .1 Beta. There may be a few things that are buggy, I'm not even done going through all the testing just yet, but I am using it on my Storm and have had no problems.

I may be able to post pictures and video a little later. Anyone know of a decent free video capture program? Maybe I'll put it on YouTube.

I just want to know if anyone would be interested in this or if you already have utilities that work for you.
    02-12-09 10:29 AM
    Any chance you are going to post the app for beta-testing? Sounds like an awesome idea as an alternative to super slow BB sync!
    02-12-09 10:39 AM
    Thanks for the interest Alex. I'll post a beta in a few days. Hopefully at least by the end of this weekend. Stay tuned to this thread.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 11:45 AM
    Mac version?
    02-12-09 12:02 PM
    thank you so much! the current software takes forever
    02-12-09 12:08 PM
    I dont even know how to get my itunes on my phone, haha. I know you have to remove the DRM or something like that.
    02-12-09 12:11 PM
    how about a itunes app?? lol
    02-12-09 12:12 PM
    Sounds good instead of just skipping the file incase we modified it. Could you do a date modified or file size check?

Other than that I would love to try it out.

02-12-09 12:12 PM
    Sounds good instead of just skipping the file incase we modified it. Could you do a date modified or file size check?

Other than that I would love to try it out.

Good point. Actually it currently compares the dates last modified if the file already exists.

Sorry I don't even own a Mac yet. I don't think a Mac version is in the cards.

02-12-09 12:16 PM
    I can't even get my music sync to work, everytime start the application, I get mysicSync has encountered a problem and needs to close, so yes, I would love a copy of your new app.

Kathie
    02-12-09 12:35 PM
    Sorry if this is a duplicate, I got a DB error when replying the first time. I would love to try the app. Everytime I go to use MediaSync, it encounters a problem and has to close.
    02-12-09 12:41 PM
    This would definitely be an excellent app! I think most people would agree that the current Media Sync app leaves much to be desired!

02-12-09 12:52 PM
    Will this app keep my playlists on the blackberry? Ms copies all the songs but no playlists transfer.

02-12-09 02:13 PM
    Yes it will add whatever itunes play list you want along with all media in the playlist.
    Media sync did always create the play lists for me, though.

02-12-09 02:28 PM
    i wanna i wanna
    02-12-09 02:47 PM
    Hi

I got my Storm the day it came out and I love it, even though there are some well known issues and bugs. I have been reading the forums for a while and got some great tips. One thing that bugs me is the junky Media Sync app that BB supplies. It reads your iTunes library and sloooowly updates your Storm (and maybe other phones, but I don't know for sure what they use). Well, I got sick of the slowness and wrote my own desktop app for reading your iTunes library and displays a UI to send playlists and content to your storm. I don't know if you use other media sync utilities, but I thought I'd throw the question out to see if anyone else would be interested in this:

Advantages over BB's Media Sync
    -MUCH faster!
    --It reads and organizes my iTunes library in about 10 seconds, complete with playlists, and my library is about 40GB. The BB Sync takes a really long time just to read the library (at least on my machine)
    --After the first sync, it correctly skips over tracks that are already on the device and just copies the new ones. BB media sync seems to inexplicably hang on items that are already synced. Why doesn't it know to just skip them? Well, my utility does know to skip over them and wastes time only on the copy of new items and the deletion of unwanted items (before the sync begins). So to add one new podcast only takes about 30 seconds, not ten to twenty minutes.
    --I have plans for at least two new features at present: 1) On-the-fly playlists right from the UI and 2) a hack so that you can rate songs on your Storm and have it update your iTunes library the next time you sync.
    -Copies videos
    --Have a video podcast? Just add it to a (smart) playlist and it will sync like any other item in the playlist.

Disadvantages
    -I don't copy Album Art files
    --Work around
    ---Sort your iTunes collection by Album
    ---At the bottom left of your screen there should be 4 icons. Click the right-most one. It looks like a square with a triangle in it. Make sure the album art box displays. Click the album art boxes arrow to change it from "Now Playing" to "Selected Item"
    ---Highlight an album in your library (all the tracks for one album). If there is not artwork for it already, Right-click and choose Get Album Artwork.
    ---Once the album art displays in the box in the lower left, right click it and copy (while still keeping all the tracks in the album selected).
    ---Then right click in the album art box again and choose paste. This should write the album art right to the files in you have selected (at least it works for MP3 ID3 tags). Then your songs will have album art when they are moved to any device, including your storm.
    -Right now it copies everything in your playlist. None of my stuff is DRMed, so it's not a concern to me. I'll be working on the DRM and extension filtering as my next task.
    -That's about it as far as I can tell.

Yes, this is free. Donations will be welcome if anyone finds it useful.

NOTE:
    -This is a .1 Beta. There may be a few things that are buggy, I'm not even done going through all the testing just yet, but I am using it on my Storm and have had no problems.

I may be able to post pictures and video a little later. Anyone know of a decent free video capture program? Maybe I'll put it on YouTube.

I just want to know if anyone would be interested in this or if you already have utilities that work for you.
    Well I'm in with the donation if your app works as you described, just let me know what to do, thanks.
    02-16-09 01:55 PM
    See here:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/st...a-sync-161911/
    Last edited by BSG75; 02-16-09 at 08:56 PM.
    02-16-09 08:50 PM
    Hey, just dl'd the app, can't wait to try it out! Thanks!
    02-17-09 01:10 AM
    Cool. Can everyone please post to the new thread. See above. That will make it easier to keep track of things.

02-17-09 06:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD