It just seems to me this phone has way too many problems with it. Firmware is one thing, but when you see all the hardware issues its having, it really makes me think the phone is cheap in design. I was planning on switching from AT&T iPhone 3G, to Verizon for this, but now I am second guessing my move.

Advice needed!!! Are the problems as bad as people are saying? Its literally flooding the message boards. iPhone was never this bad!
    12-02-08 09:48 AM
    As a phone, I like the iPhone 3G better. It's backed by incredible software. I went from Storm to iPhone not because I didn't like the Storm, but because I liked the iPhone better. That is just my opinion. However, I will be coming back to Verizon and the Storm because I can't deal with ATT's network.
    12-02-08 09:58 AM
    If you are a casual user then the Storm will be fine for you, but if you are a power user then you should pass.
    The most annoying things for me are when someone calls and you cant get the phone to answer from the soft or hard key. It does not happen all the time, only when I REALLY need to speak to the person calling (work).
    Second most troubling bug is muting a caller or putting them on speaker if you cheek the phone.
    12-02-08 09:58 AM

Advice needed!!! Are the problems as bad as people are saying? Its literally flooding the message boards. iPhone was never this bad!
    I would wait and see what happens with the hardware issues.
    12-02-08 10:00 AM
    I dont know about you. I enjoy more storm over an iphone anyday. I got a chance to play with a friends iphone and it just felt like a toy. This really seems like a phone that has enhanced features that makes your life easy. I have yet to experience any hardware issues and the majority of the issues everyone is talking about are related to firmware not hardware. Also, the initial launcg of the iphone was worse. I didnt hear anything about people not being able to use their phone for days like the iphone. My friend took 3 days to get his activated. Mine was activated in the store before I left the store. While the family was in the mall Christmas shopping I was sitting in the car playing with my new phone. I have yet to put this thing down. Does it have it quirks of course it does. Any device that is created for the masses isnt going to appeal to EVERYONE. Some will like, some will hate it and other like me will love it. To me this is so much better than the iphone or my peal. Now i am just waiting for all the nifty apps that I keep hearing about.
    12-02-08 10:01 AM
    I wouldnt cancel. First you 30 days to decide if you want it or not. Secondly, I havent experienced most if not all of the issues some people have. I think you need to see for yourself. No one can tell you what will work for you or what you can deal with. good luck
    12-02-08 10:03 AM
    As a phone, I like the iPhone 3G better. It's backed by incredible software. I went from Storm to iPhone not because I didn't like the Storm, but because I liked the iPhone better. That is just my opinion. However, I will be coming back to Verizon and the Storm because I can't deal with ATT's network.
    So you bought a storm and returned it due to the issues. You bought an Iphone 3G and you are unhappy with AT&T's network and its so bad that your going to come back to Verizon?

I am waiting on a storm I ordered but I have checked out the Iphone3g and im tempted to pick one up.

I have been hearing horror stories about there network so that is what has kept me from it.

So your advise would be to stick with a storm or verizon in general?
    12-02-08 10:05 AM
    I dont know how many issues hardware/software there are, but you have to remember you are on a forum that is dedicated to finding issues and hopefully solving them. There are 1000s of people not on this forum that have no issues.

This is the exact same thing I see on the corvette forum. People with problems post there and ask for help. People that are part of the forum automatically assume it is a wide spread problem. The problem with that philosophy is there are 1000s of vette owners that do not come to the forum and also do not experience any problems.

I also find that the people on the forums have the most knowledge, but that knowledge is a double edge sword because you also find out about issues that maybe only a select few have.

I have no issues with my storm. It does hang here and there, but I have no resets and no hardware issues.
    12-02-08 10:05 AM
    It all depends on what you want. If you want multimedia, then I say stick with the iPhone. But if you want a messaging powerhouse, the Storm is the phone for you. I personally am going back because of the network. Hopefully my Storm won't have clicking issues around the corner.
    12-02-08 10:07 AM
    So you bought a storm and returned it due to the issues. You bought an Iphone 3G and you are unhappy with AT&T's network and its so bad that your going to come back to Verizon?

I am waiting on a storm I ordered but I have checked out the Iphone3g and im tempted to pick one up.

I have been hearing horror stories about there network so that is what has kept me from it.

So your advise would be to stick with a storm or verizon in general?
    Never said my Storm had issues. As a matter of fact, my hardware was absolutely flawless. I like the iPhone better because of the app store and such. I am unhappy with ATT's 3G network. It is dismal in comparison to Verizon's. It may be faster, but EVDO covers a much broader range.
    12-02-08 10:09 AM
    I dont know how many issues hardware/software there are, but you have to remember you are on a forum that is dedicated to finding issues and hopefully solving them. There are 1000s of people not on this forum that have no issues.

This is the exact same thing I see on the corvette forum. People with problems post there and ask for help. People that are part of the forum automatically assume it is a wide spread problem. The problem with that philosophy is there are 1000s of vette owners that do not come to the forum and also do not experience any problems.

I also find that the people on the forums have the most knowledge, but that knowledge is a double edge sword because you also find out about issues that maybe only a select few have.

I have no issues with my storm. It does hang here and there, but I have no resets and no hardware issues.
    Most people do not come to forums to discuss problems. The problems with this phone are very widespread with most units beeing affected.

The probobility the OP will get a bad unit is very very high. If he is ok with that get one if not he should wait until the 2nd generation comes out.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-02-08 10:20 AM
    Most people do not come to forums to discuss problems. The problems with this phone are very widespread with most units beeing affected.

The probobility the OP will get a bad unit is very very high. If he is ok with that get one if not he should wait until the 2nd generation comes out.

What? Most people come to forums to discuss problems. If they receive a phone that is fine there isn't much point in them going to discussion forums unless they are an enthusiast. Besides this forum and a few others I don't go browse forums about a particular product unless I'm having issues with it.

With that said, I absolutely love my Storm, and I haven't posted that I have. I'm sure if I had problems I would have already posted. I'm sure a lot of other people are the same.
    12-02-08 10:23 AM

What are you basing your probability on? You know the exact count of BB storms sold and ones with issues? If you have those numbers please post so we can all see. If you dont have those numbers how are you so sure about your statement - oh thats right you read it on a forum
    12-02-08 10:27 AM
    I wouldn't cancel. My wife has an iPhone, likes it fine. I have a new Storm, and like it very well. I don't think you'll go wrong with either phone, frankly. I do think the apps on the iPhone currently are more slick and that RIM has some catching up to do. But for what I use it for, I love my Storm. And I expect more apps to be coming over the coming months anyway.
    12-02-08 10:42 AM
    What are you basing your probability on? You know the exact count of BB storms sold and ones with issues? If you have those numbers please post so we can all see. If you dont have those numbers how are you so sure about your statement - oh thats right you read it on a forum
    five storms in the office (I have two) no issues whatsoever so not sure where the "most"comment comes from. Look at the poll here. Of the people on this forum 85% are happy and like 8% have returned it. Considering we are all early adopters - that is not too bad. If getting new technology which will have bugs (always do) puts you off; wait a month for a release or two. We already saw that BGR loves the new update they have.

Furthermore, "the iPhone was never this bad" you have got to be kidding me. They went through the same thing . . . as did the G1 (already 2 patches in two months). This is the case with new technology . . period.
    12-02-08 10:47 AM
    Also, the iPhone and Storm are NOT THE SAME PHONE. I know every reviewer wants to lump them together BUT iPhone has a better browser and more solid UI for navigating but very little in terms of business support. The Storm has removable storage, battery, file management and copy and paste plus the BB approach to email making it more of a business centric phone.
    One is a multimedia phone with email capability, one is a business phone with some multimedia capability. Make sure you know what you want in a phone before you decide.

Good luck!
    12-02-08 10:50 AM
    Hate to see anyone cancel their order because of problems you read about here. I think the phone ROCKS!!! Only two problems I had were typing on the screen, which was fixed by putting 3 business cards next to the battery (your phone may need only 1 or 2 cards). The other problem is that it was slow to change from portrait to landscape mode and vice versa, which was greatly improved by updating to 4.7.0.75. Now it only takes about 1 second or less. You really should try the phone with those two fixes before you decide to cancel an order.
    12-02-08 11:15 AM
    I am scared to get mine but I still want it bad!
    12-02-08 11:53 AM
    I have been using BB for a couple years, but just the basics for work. After getting the Storm, I have been diving deeper into all the functionality of a BB, rather than just checking email. I love this phone, and would never think of bringing it back...

I happened to receive a solid unit, with the worst problem being the lag between portait and landscape, and honestly I had similar speed with old version of OS as the new update i loaded. On rare occasion it sticks on something, and I hit back, and resubmit and it goes just fine.

And if you happen to get one thats alittle more glitchy than others, you already know where to go to minimize these concerns as best you can.
    12-02-08 12:20 PM
    Here's the bottom line. You should not base your decision on getting the device based off of other peoples problems. Everybody has a different issue but everybody doesn't have the same. I for one
    don't have half the problems that others have I don't have click issues and the only real problem I have is some thing that can be fixed in an os update. We all knew there would be os issues because its a new device. Remember rim has never created a device like this. And they are shooting upgrades out like hot cakes. The phone has been out since the 21st. That's eleven days and I have had it and loved it all eleven days. An update in nine days? You know it want be long before the device is almost perfect.

Last edited by kingohearts2005; 12-02-08 at 12:25 PM.
    12-02-08 12:22 PM
    It just seems to me this phone has way too many problems with it. Firmware is one thing, but when you see all the hardware issues its having, it really makes me think the phone is cheap in design. I was planning on switching from AT&T iPhone 3G, to Verizon for this, but now I am second guessing my move.

I have had the Storm since 11/24....my Dad has the first gen iPhone and my friend has the iPhone 3G...I personally love the Storm (issues aside). I have played with the iPhone plenty and was not impressed. I think you should keep sight of the fact that even the iPhone had issues when first released. They are on their 2nd gen and have had numerous firmware updates. The Storm hasn't had any official updates, but from my experience with the leaked .75 OS, RIM is on the right track to bettering the phone.

Hardware issues can be a concern, but that is less widespread from what I have read. My Storm clicks fine all around and no other hardware issues that I can note. If you do get one with any hardware probs, VZW is very good about swapping the unit out.

A couple co-workers of mine and my girlfriend's Uncle who all have the iPhone currently, were very pleased and impressed by the Storm. They all said that they will likely make the switch for the 2nd gen.

So, personally, I like VZW better than ATT and would go that route and get the Storm. If you go in knowing/expecting some minor software glitches and understand that they are working on them, you should be pleased.

Hope I helped.
    12-02-08 01:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD