Is anyone out there tired of all the overpriced useless apps for the blackberry.
    I could understand maybe if the prices werent so damn high. Example a countdown app for $4.99 really !!! Sorry thats what my calendar is for. please speak up so we can get some affordable good apps...
    06-02-10 11:17 AM
    Best way to speak is with your wallet. Don't buy them. Also - seek out application trading and resale sites. A great way to pick up an application on the cheap that someone is done with. Or trade for something you want.
    06-02-10 11:21 AM
    agree with 1magine--simply don't buy apps that you feel are overpriced. Heck, I've had a Touch for over 2 years and I've never bought an app. That doesn't mean my touch is lacking for apps--I've got plenty of apps on it. I don't have any paid apps on my S2 either. The apps I like and use are free.
    06-02-10 11:24 AM
    I don't buy them, and what they have for free ones is a joke.
    06-02-10 11:28 AM
    I've got quite a few great free apps. For example, I had been using the empower sms app for a while on my 8330m, but switched to crunchsms. it's smaller, lighter, and works just as well. Weatherbug is free (ad supported), maratick (shopping list app), bolt, poynt, snaptu, cardstar...
    06-02-10 11:39 AM
    I've got quite a few great free apps. For example, I had been using the empower sms app for a while on my 8330m, but switched to crunchsms. it's smaller, lighter, and works just as well. Weatherbug is free (ad supported), maratick (shopping list app), bolt, poynt, snaptu, cardstar...
    not to mention Pandora--arguably the best free app ever created.
    06-02-10 11:51 AM
    Yes, I'm tired and tired of the crappy apps selection...

But you should put this in the app forum to get more exposure.. instead of the storm forum.
    06-02-10 11:55 AM
    not to mention Pandora--arguably the best free app ever created.
    Amen to that!
    06-02-10 12:47 PM
    Thanks for all the advice, I normally dont buy the ones that I feel are over priced. Its just some of the apps are so stupid hate to use that word cause i am sure it takes some smarts to create them . I just feel with the power our BB have the apps could be so much better
    06-02-10 01:13 PM
    This, from the same folks who have the audacity to defend a $10 weather app!
    06-02-10 01:27 PM
    This, from the same folks who have the audacity to defend a $10 weather app!
    why would anyone need to pay for a weather app?? How much more weather can an expensive app provide, then a free one? BESIDES---mother nature can fool ANY weatherman or app, anytime, anyplace.
    06-02-10 01:29 PM
    If all of you want apps go to a toy phone and get all the free pointless apps you want. There's not much selection out there buy if you look you can find high quality apps out there. The BB is not a toy phone to play with its a phone to get things done fast. I will agree playing with the iphone and driod is fun but that's all it is fun!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-02-10 01:40 PM
    why would anyone need to pay for a weather app?? How much more weather can an expensive app provide, then a free one? BESIDES---mother nature can fool ANY weatherman or app, anytime, anyplace.
    For me I paid (on sale) for it because I wanted some of the additional options and screens that were available. I use BerryWeather a lot, and the pay version comes with a high level of customization and additional options that I find very useful. I have gotten more out of the $5 than many other places I have wasted same amount.

I do not buy many apps, but I have to say I am happy with each of the BellShare apps that I have. They make my BB experience better, and the apps are well made so they don't glitch.
    06-02-10 01:51 PM
    I don't buy them either... free ones are so so.... and payment is a PIA!
    06-02-10 02:12 PM
    If all of you want apps go to a toy phone and get all the free pointless apps you want. There's not much selection out there buy if you look you can find high quality apps out there. The BB is not a toy phone to play with its a phone to get things done fast. I will agree playing with the iphone and driod is fun but that's all it is fun!

There it is, and it only took 12 posts!
    06-02-10 02:15 PM
    I think the point the OP is trying to make is why pay for an app that is useless. A lot of folks feel the features of said weather app are worth it, so they pay for it.

I do agree to a point, but it's also up to the app manufacturer whether or not they want to charge $$$ for it. They have every right to do so, and I don't fault anyone for wanting to get paid for their work. Personally, I feel that if you are going to charge money for an app, at least offer a trail so I can determine for myself if it's worth the money or not.

Granted, I love free stuff...but if I feel something is worth it, I'll buy it.
    Last edited by PaintDrinkingPete; 06-02-10 at 02:21 PM.
    06-02-10 02:16 PM
    For me I paid (on sale) for it because I wanted some of the additional options and screens that were available. I use BerryWeather a lot, and the pay version comes with a high level of customization and additional options that I find very useful. I have gotten more out of the $5 than many other places I have wasted same amount.

I do not buy many apps, but I have to say I am happy with each of the BellShare apps that I have. They make my BB experience better, and the apps are well made so they don't glitch.
    please explain exactly WHAT a paid weather app does, that is actually necessary/useful/stupendous. IT'S JUST WEATHER! Forecasts from free apps are pretty accurate, as much as technology can provide. How does as paid app help you deal with weather better than a freebie?
    06-02-10 02:51 PM
    I am with you on this one! I use weather channel and weatherbug and they do fine by me. Actually, Poynt app has a very good accurate weather app built in that works as well as anything out there.
    please explain exactly WHAT a paid weather app does, that is actually necessary/useful/stupendous. IT'S JUST WEATHER! Forecasts from free apps are pretty accurate, as much as technology can provide. How does as paid app help you deal with weather better than a freebie?
    06-02-10 03:11 PM
    I have been asking this question for years!
    06-02-10 03:16 PM

+1 I had one of the free weather apps and it was terrible....but I sure got the ads without any problem.

The $5 I spent for Berryweather was worth it.
    06-02-10 03:42 PM
    +1 I had one of the free weather apps and it was terrible....but I sure got the ads without any problem.

The $5 I spent for Berryweather was worth it.

u just had the WRONG free weather app, is all. do some research!
    06-02-10 03:57 PM
    Fair question.

While I was on .320, the home screen wall paper was a huge win since the icons did not update. Love being able to just look at my screen and see current conditions. Also, the GPS integration is nice because I always have the most local weather station's data particularly when traveling locally.

Many of the other things I like are available if you go to the web, but in BerryWeather they are available without any load time and as up to date as I would want them to be.
    Temperature icon in my BB alerts (can see temp when locked)
    Customizable weather advisories
    7 day forecast
    Detailed hourly forecasts (7-12 hrs)
    Several locations always up-to-date with a flick of my finger
    Built in radar

Anyway, those made it worth it to me.
    06-02-10 04:15 PM
    Fair question.

While I was on .320, the home screen wall paper was a huge win since the icons did not update. Love being able to just look at my screen and see current conditions. Also, the GPS integration is nice because I always have the most local weather station's data particularly when traveling locally.

Many of the other things I like are available if you go to the web, but in BerryWeather they are available without any load time and as up to date as I would want them to be.
    Temperature icon in my BB alerts (can see temp when locked)
    Customizable weather advisories
    7 day forecast
    Detailed hourly forecasts (7-12 hrs)
    Several locations always up-to-date with a flick of my finger
    Built in radar

Anyway, those made it worth it to me.
    I can see the current temp on the home screen icon of a free app...Weatherbug.
    06-02-10 04:21 PM
    I had a couple of weather apps, never used 'em. I looked out the window, if it was raining I took my umbrella, if it was cold I took a coat, if it got warm I took the coat off.
    06-02-10 04:34 PM
    I can see the current temp on the home screen icon of a free app...Weatherbug.
    Dave, I did not even mention the home screen icon, except for when we were stuck with .320. Then it did not update with conditions, so the wall paper function was a great work around.

Anyway, I had weather bug. It was a nice app, and yes I could see the conditions on the home screen now that I am not on the .320 OS. More importantly, my BB locks quickly (IT policy), but with BerryWeather I can see the temp w/o unlocking. I do not know of a free weather program that gave me that functionality.

BerryWeather is very pretty and snappy too. I prefer its interface and speed to the other freebies I tried, and decided the additional features above their free program were worth the $5. I cannot lie, I hemmed and hawed a lot before I laid out the cash, but in the end I was tired of wanting a few features I did not have and broke down.
    06-02-10 04:35 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD