02-08-09 01:56 AM
43 12
tools
    I've always had a qwerty keyboard, first a palm treo 650 then blackberry 8703e and always loved the full keyboard. My friends have the pearl but never been a fan of suretype.

Using the storm in landscape though I find the keys are tiny and I make mistakes and am slower to type. Once in awhile I play with suretype especially if driving or doing something one handed. I'm actually starting to like it since the buttons are large and I find I type fast. I am hesitant to give up landscape though to use SureType since it always seemed like a half functional keyboard. Because it does prediction I find my words are spelled correct more though. Only issue I have is my screen doesn't click as easily on the very bottom as anywhere else ,so pressing space I have to push harder than any other key.

Did anyone else switch to suretype when getting the storm?
    02-04-09 11:39 AM
    I've always had a qwerty keyboard, first a palm treo 650 then blackberry 8703e and always loved the full keyboard. My friends have the pearl but never been a fan of suretype.

Using the storm in landscape though I find the keys are tiny and I make mistakes and am slower to type. Once in awhile I play with suretype especially if driving or doing something one handed. I'm actually starting to like it since the buttons are large and I find I type fast. I am hesitant to give up landscape though to use SureType since it always seemed like a half functional keyboard. Because it does prediction I find my words are spelled correct more though. Only issue I have is my screen doesn't click as easily on the very bottom as anywhere else ,so pressing space I have to push harder than any other key.

Did anyone else switch to suretype when getting the storm?
    I'm in the same boat... It was a big change coming to touchscreen and I never used to like suretype but when I only have one hand free it is great... not to mention after using it for awhile it starts to learn what you type like and make good corrections... I actually like it now and use it quite often, but for some things just can't get by without a qwerty.
    02-04-09 11:45 AM
    The only input I have on this topic is this: suretype + "trust" = fast accurate typing. Anyone new to suretype has to try it and trust it. I was amazed how accurate it selects the correct word. Furthermore, when I concentrated more on pushing the correct button on the keyboard, my typing speed increased. Many of the mistakes I noticed comes from mis-hitting the button on the keyboard.
    02-04-09 11:54 AM
    Another helpful tip for the landscape qwerty (and the portrait qwerty IF you are on .90 or above) would be to use your right thumb for the right half of the keyboard and the left for the left half. I agree thou the suretype keyboards works GREAT, much better than I thought it would when I first dismissed it on the 71XX & Pearl series.
    02-04-09 11:58 AM
    The only input I have on this topic is this: suretype + "trust" = fast accurate typing. Anyone new to suretype has to try it and trust it. I was amazed how accurate it selects the correct word. Furthermore, when I concentrated more on pushing the correct button on the keyboard, my typing speed increased. Many of the mistakes I noticed comes from mis-hitting the button on the keyboard.
    Exactly this. I was iffy about the suretype keyboard until two of my friends gave me this advice. I really haven't gone back to qwerty unless I'm typing something I'm sure is not going to be in a dictionary like an email address. Mentally it was a tough change going from a different qwerty phone, but once I got adapted it almost feels more natural.
    02-04-09 12:04 PM
    The key for me was treating it as if there was only one letter for each button. Love it now, absolutely hated it at first.

- R.
    02-04-09 12:18 PM
    I was really suspect of SureType until I tried it for a week or so but I'm a huge fan now. I just wish my Storm wouldn't switch back to multitap randomly for no reason.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-04-09 12:24 PM
    I've just tried it, it's awesome!! I never knew how to use Suretype before,but it's super easy. I have a new portrait keyboard now!
    02-04-09 12:25 PM
    Yes, I find the problem is that people try to correct sure type as they go. If they are typing the word 'satisfaction' for instance, they start by hitting the 'as' key and when an 'a' appears they manually try to switch it an 's'.

The key is to keep going, by the time you reach the 't' the suretype will realize what you are typing and with a few more letters you can probably just hit enter and not even have to type the full word.

JUST KEEP GOING AND TRUST....its faster than the qwerty. Only use the full qwerty when you have to type complex things like passwords.
    02-04-09 12:26 PM
    I'm enjoying it for sure, the reason I like it too is I find with bb messenger or chat programs using qwerty you get so much of the screen cut off it's so hard to see beyond 2 or 3 lines where as suretype you can see a lot more on your screen. I'm just bad for hitting the L key instead of backspace then I look up and I have some huge word that makes no sense lol.
    02-04-09 12:28 PM
    SureType rocks! I hated it and didn't think I'd ever use it... until I actually "trusted" it. I use it the vast majority of the time now.
    02-04-09 12:29 PM
    Ive had several qwerty phones and was nervous about switching to the Storm because I hate typing in landscape on touchscreen phones but I have found that I love SureType... I dont even use the portrait qwerty because I have become fast and accurate on SureType!

BB Has won me over with the Storm!
    02-04-09 12:30 PM
    landscape all the way for me! lol.... not a fan of suretype at all ive tried it more than a few times and i just dont like it.... plus, the phone feels much more comfortable in landscape....
    02-04-09 12:31 PM
    I LOVE the SureType keyboard! I don't even bother with the landscape QWERTY on my Storm because the buttons do seem very tiny and it would take me forever to type a message. Using SureType is by far soo much faster than the QWERTY in my opinion.

Switching to SureType from another QWERTY device was definitely a challenge. My advice would be to add some odd words that you use to the dictionary so the phone recognizes them easier and also to just pretend that there's only one letter per key. It helps out a lot.

I used to have a Sidekick LX and I was really fast on that, but I bet that with my Storm's SureType, I could probably type even faster.
    02-04-09 12:33 PM
    Just make sure you look before you send! My friend and I were watching that stupid A Double Shot at Love last night and said we should have our own. We love disco so I go to message her today saying ours should be called A Double Shot at Disco, except the phone wrote Diabetes instead of Disco. So I messaged her saying lets call our show A Double Shot at Diabetes.
    02-04-09 12:36 PM
    Just make sure you look before you send! My friend and I were watching that stupid A Double Shot at Love last night and said we should have our own. We love disco so I go to message her today saying ours should be called A Double Shot at Disco, except the phone wrote Diabetes instead of Disco. So I messaged her saying lets call our show A Double Shot at Diabetes.
    HAHAHA!! I always look before I send!
    02-04-09 12:38 PM
    I was lucky that I had never really texted before I got this phone, so I got to start on equal ground for both ways. I liked the qwerty a lot, but once i started using suretype I liked that better. I use qwerty whenever I am on the internet or when I'm adding a new word to my personal dictionary, because it's a lot easier to add a word in qwerty for obvious reasons. But anytime I am texting or emailing I use suretype.
    02-04-09 12:59 PM
    I was a fan of SureType right up until the QWERTY portrait support in .90 showed up. While I fully understand the risks, I find it far easier to type while on the road in fully QWERTY portrait mode.
    02-04-09 02:36 PM
    90% Suretype, 10% QWERTY. Still need that qwerty for random things that Suretype can't understand.

And I've never used Suretype before my Storm
    02-04-09 02:43 PM
    The nice thing I find with suretype though is that its not too big of a learning curve and using it doesn't really take away from the experience in qwerty. So I find I can switch between the two and it's not like I'm WAY better in one versus the other, so I'll keep changing it up Just wish my space bar wasn't harder to push than the rest.
    02-04-09 02:53 PM
    LOVE Suretype! Not a fan of the Qwerty but will use it when I need to.
    02-04-09 07:33 PM
    I love Sure Type. It is so much faster for me to use Sure Type than the tiny QWERTY keyboard. I am used to T9text from my older cell phones, so this is just as easy as that was for me.
    02-04-09 07:37 PM
    I have learned to love suretype. I can belt out e-mails and IM's a lot faster now that I am using it.
    02-04-09 07:44 PM
    I was always a qwerty user and never a big fan of SureType but I find it easier on the ftprm and I actually use the phone in portrait mode over landscape mode more often than not.
    02-04-09 07:45 PM
    Started using SureType on my Pearl and didn't stop when I switched to my Storm, love it.
    02-04-09 07:46 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD