The Pre looks cool, but come on...its on Sprint. They're a sinking ship.
    01-31-09 03:17 PM
    Sprint=Fail

While I am a former Palm devotee(my first one was the Palm III), I wouldn't switch to Sprint, no matter how much they give me and how cheap it is. I am loving my Storm and BB in general. I'm so glad I switched a year ago. While I think the Pre is a good concept, it's too little too late. When your OS is the same for so many years without improvement, you lose your following. If this had come out 2 or 3 years ago, maybe they would have had something. Palm, for all it's PDA innovation back in the day, really dropped the ball by not updating for all these years. I know I'm not the only one who left because of this, and I'm not going back.
    01-31-09 03:19 PM
    No, left BB one time with my Verizon service and will never do so again. Not sure what I would trade in my storm for. I get to play with bolds all day at work and it's starting to grow on me..maybe I'll take a close look at the Verizon Bold when released. Would most likely make the jump to the rumored touch screen Bold if released by my carrier.
    01-31-09 03:23 PM
    I'd leave a strom for a bold any day to be honest, its a much better device imo. I carry both for the time being.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 03:25 PM
    Well I suppose going that route isn't too bad of an idea then. Especially with how cheap you can get a sprint line with data for.

WWell since I am not in the states, I wont be using Sprint. (I doubt I would even if I was..lol)

I will be grabbing the GSM version.
    01-31-09 03:36 PM
    The thought never entered my head.
    01-31-09 04:02 PM
    I started with a Palm IIIc and have had 2 or 3 others since then. I really loved them. When I first started looking into a "smartphone," I looked at, and got one of the Treo's. I absolutely HATED it as a phone! I loved the familiarity of the OS, but couldn't stand the crappy reception, awkwardness of the phone OS, etc. I then tried a windows mobile device and hated that even more. Blackberry was my only other choice then and I went with it. I'll never to back to anything else!

Even with the less than stellar performance of the Storm's OS to date, I'm confident that RIM is working the problem and we'll have an outstanding device in no time. Is there room for improvement? Absolutely. There always is something that can be done better, etc. I'm truly amazed at how far technology itself has come in just the last 30 years.

As for the network; absolutely a no-brainer for me. Verizon has it hands down over anyone where I live. Not only that, the customer service is excellent and with the Alltel buy-out, the coverage is going to be the only thing going in ND.

There are some very cool features about the Pre, but not enough to make me give up my pushed email and the unsurpassed security of the whole phone.
    01-31-09 04:44 PM
    Sprint=Fail

While I am a former Palm devotee(my first one was the Palm III), I wouldn't switch to Sprint, no matter how much they give me and how cheap it is. I am loving my Storm and BB in general. I'm so glad I switched a year ago. While I think the Pre is a good concept, it's too little too late. When your OS is the same for so many years without improvement, you lose your following. If this had come out 2 or 3 years ago, maybe they would have had something. Palm, for all it's PDA innovation back in the day, really dropped the ball by not updating for all these years. I know I'm not the only one who left because of this, and I'm not going back.
    How true, it's a shame they were so slow to adapt.

Apple hasn't shown a similar slowfootedness but if they have their way and continue to crush the market, they might fall victim to the same lack of desire to innovate and improve.
    01-31-09 05:06 PM
    Dumping Verizon for Sprint is like dumping a Ferrari in favor of a BMW....sure the BMW's nice....and there are worse makes out there....but it's no Ferrari.

The Pre looks cool, I'll give it that...but I prefer Blackberry/the Storm.
    01-31-09 05:40 PM
    Never, plus look at the commercials for the Storm, it make the phone looks flawless, then it came out, all sorts of issues. Whats to say, that isn't going to be any different then the Pre. Plus it's Sprint, their data is going to be crap eventually, they are going towards 4g, they are going towards WiFiMax or something like that. Meanwhile, T-Mo, AT&T and VZW are going towards 4G.
    01-31-09 05:43 PM
    Not a chance in he*l
    01-31-09 05:47 PM
    Dumping Verizon for Sprint is like dumping a Ferrari in favor of a BMW....sure the BMW's nice....and there are worse makes out there....but it's no Ferrari.

The Pre looks cool, I'll give it that...but I prefer Blackberry/the Storm.
    BMW huh, more like a dodge or ford...
    01-31-09 05:53 PM
    No, He had it right.
    01-31-09 05:57 PM
    The looks to be a great phone just needs to be with a better carrier or any carrier besides Sprint.

01-31-09 05:59 PM
    If you have the Sprint $99 Simply Everything Plan, and you lose Sprint coverage in a particular area, it will jump on to the Verizon network for voice and data. This has been the case in the past, but roaming fees made it prohibitive, to where I just set my phone on just the Sprint network. Now that I don't have to worry about roaming fees, and I get unlimited minutes on both networks, I just leave it and get great coverage.
    Depends on where you are, cuz it doesn't do that in my area
    01-31-09 06:00 PM
    Forgetting that it's a Sprint exclusive, the Palm Pre's user interface and features look very appealing.

push email
    wifi
    wireless charging (yay!)
    touch gestures on both the screen and the frame

And contrary to some other posters above, I want the Pre and Sprint to succeed. I want people to buy it, love it, and still use Sprint. Competition drives improvements, and VZW/ATT need to feel the heat from others to constantly improve (service and phones). I'd love for the next BB to incorporate the wireless charging and touch/gesture sensitivity on the frame.
    01-31-09 06:03 PM
    No, He had it right.
    Oh don't be bitter. I'm right, a dodge or ford get the job done, but they aren't anywhere near NICE...just like Sprint.
    01-31-09 06:13 PM
    I'm pretty taken by what I've seen of the pre so far. The interface and usability appear to be fantastic.

Having said that, the lack of expandable memory killed it. That alone is a stop sign for me. Same with the iphone. No memory, no battery...no sale.

Last edited by catbertz; 01-31-09 at 06:35 PM.
    01-31-09 06:33 PM
    I agree about the lack of expandable memory, and Palm's excuse about the card slot adding bulk just doesn't ring true; is it me or do the manufacturers charge a lot for inbuilt memory?

But as for the Pre, I think it has potential to do well, but if they charge a lot, in this economic climate, they may find that people won't be willing to pay all that much for the convenience of saving micro-seconds opening browsers.

Android fans have plenty to fear though.

Last edited by derekflint; 01-31-09 at 07:03 PM.
    01-31-09 06:48 PM
    I just looked at the Pre. I am not a big fan of the sliding number pad out of the bottom. I was never a big fan of the slider phones. I had one, and I completely busted it up. But maybe that was user error. lol.
    01-31-09 07:04 PM
    sprint is enough to make me say NO...F**K NO!
    01-31-09 07:09 PM
    Forgetting that it's a Sprint exclusive, the Palm Pre's user interface and features look very appealing.

push email
    wifi
    wireless charging (yay!)
    touch gestures on both the screen and the frame

And contrary to some other posters above, I want the Pre and Sprint to succeed. I want people to buy it, love it, and still use Sprint. Competition drives improvements, and VZW/ATT need to feel the heat from others to constantly improve (service and phones). I'd love for the next BB to incorporate the wireless charging and touch/gesture sensitivity on the frame.
    Its not really wireless charging ... The dock plugs in and you set the phone on the dock. Kinda like the charging dock for the storm and other blackberries.

01-31-09 07:13 PM
    If Palm comes out with something that looks like it wasn't from the set of Flinstones, has a landscape keyboard, AND has an OS that works how the pre is "supposed" to, then I will consider a Palm. But probably not the Pre. The name alone just really turns me off. They must be using it as an appetizer for something else or something. And yeah, I've been with Verizon since before they were Verizon, so I have no plans on changing carriers...especially not to Sprint.
    01-31-09 07:29 PM
    How true, it's a shame they were so slow to adapt.

Apple hasn't shown a similar slowfootedness but if they have their way and continue to crush the market, they might fall victim to the same lack of desire to innovate and improve.
    Seeing as how they are continously innovating and improving their iPods I doubt it.
    01-31-09 07:57 PM
    Dodge/Ford = T-Mobile, Altell, etc. Ones that are solid but not necessarily solid all across the country.
    01-31-09 08:17 PM
121 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD