02-17-09 10:03 PM
27 12
tools
    I was all excited when I thought I was free from Apple's dictatorship of the audio music file world by signing up for Verizon/Rhapsody Vcast at $14.95. I thought everything was cool that I could listen to unlimited amount of songs or purchase songs to keep at .99 cents should I desire. However, it was the subscription that enticed me. After I authorized my BB Storm and laptop to listen to full length Rhapsody audio files, the next thing I noticed it does not allow me to move anything over to the Storm. It wants to charge me .99 cents just to transfer a subscription file. I don't get it!! I thought the whole idea of Vcast/Rhapsody was that I didn't have to purchase songs if I wanted to listen to the songs on my device. Heck, not even Apple does that and the real stupid part of Vcast is they charge you $1.99 per download over the air even if you have a subscription! I thought this would be a good deal, but it really isn't. Rhapsody offers the better deal and you're better off to just use the BB software to move files over from the PC. The VCast/Rhapsody thing is for the birds!!!!!! Leave it to Verizon to screw something up.
    12-04-08 04:12 AM
    thanks for clearing this up for me. I hadn't really decided what I was going to do for music. Another member sent me a pm a while back about rhapsody and said its really good drm free music. But when I saw that vcast supported it I wondered how it worked..

Now I know to just get it on the pc and take care of it myself ;D

thanks
    12-04-08 04:20 AM
    I was all excited when I thought I was free from Apple's dictatorship of the audio music file world by signing up for Verizon/Rhapsody Vcast at $14.95. I thought everything was cool that I could listen to unlimited amount of songs or purchase songs to keep at .99 cents should I desire. However, it was the subscription that enticed me. After I authorized my BB Storm and laptop to listen to full length Rhapsody audio files, the next thing I noticed it does not allow me to move anything over to the Storm. It wants to charge me .99 cents just to transfer a subscription file. I don't get it!! I thought the whole idea of Vcast/Rhapsody was that I didn't have to purchase songs if I wanted to listen to the songs on my device. Heck, not even Apple does that and the real stupid part of Vcast is they charge you $1.99 per download over the air even if you have a subscription! I thought this would be a good deal, but it really isn't. Rhapsody offers the better deal and you're better off to just use the BB software to move files over from the PC. The VCast/Rhapsody thing is for the birds!!!!!! Leave it to Verizon to screw something up.
    You might be a little premature stating Verizon screwed something up. Signing in to Rhapsody through VCast/Rhapsody still takes you to your Rhapsody account with the same sign in info, at least that is the way it works for me. I have a 14 day free trial with Rhapsody, so I haven't paid a subscription fee yet. I have listened to countless songs and have saved 300 on my hard drive and have transferred them to my Storm through the Desktop Manager.
    12-04-08 04:26 AM
    I will never get it. Only because I can't justify paying for it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-04-08 04:36 AM
    I will never get it. Only because I can't justify paying for it

yeah, i second that...theres no reason to give them more money when there is a free alternative. lol
    12-04-08 04:52 AM
    Yeah dude your not doing something right. I have about 12 albums on mine from rhap and I didn't download or pay for them. One thing make sure you don't have mass storage mode on when permitting your storm or transferring the music and remember you can't play the files on first atch until you disconnect your device.

12-04-08 05:24 AM
    I also have had no problems with Rhap to Go. Since I was already a subscriber, I saw no need to switch over to the Rhap/Vcast plan. I simply connected to my lappy via usb, fired up Rhap, and was able to transfer my subscription content over.
    12-04-08 09:32 AM
    yeah, i second that...theres no reason to give them more money when there is a free alternative. lol
    I don't trust free alternatives; u don't have to subscription. I just buy the songs at .99 cents. Well unless u know of a very safe alternative
    12-04-08 09:40 AM
    I've had rhapsody for 3 years and have it now on a test storm. It works fine, i'm voting user error!
    12-04-08 09:45 AM
    I don't trust free alternatives; u don't have to subscription. I just buy the songs at .99 cents. Well unless u know of a very safe alternative
    by free, i mean you put songs on your hard drive from cds you already own...then transfer them over.
    of course buy any additional songs you want as well
    12-04-08 09:47 AM
    My question is can you play the full songs in Rhapsody (not just previews) on the BB Storm as you would with a subscrption on A PC?
    02-15-09 06:32 AM
    My question is can you play the full songs in Rhapsody (not just previews) on the BB Storm as you would with a subscrption on A PC?
    yes.

10char
    02-15-09 06:36 AM
    yes.

10char
    Ok how do you do it? I only see options for preview song and buy song. Any advice would be most appreciated. Thnx.............
    02-15-09 07:26 AM
    Definite user error here. Make sure your storm is an authorized drive & not in mass storage mode & you should be good. If it still doesn't work, dial 18009220204 & hit option 3 for Wireless Data Tech Support so they can troubleshoot with you. I have 2 storms on it with no problems.

02-15-09 08:08 AM
    A major issue with Rhapsody on the Storm is authorizing your device. If you're having trouble, connect your Storm and enable Mass Media and search for the DRM folder and delete it. Then disconnect, reconnect and do NOT enable mass media mode then you should be able to authorize your phone.

02-15-09 09:07 AM
    Thnx for the reply. My device is authorized. I was asking if the Storm could be utilized to just play any song or album as you would on a PC with Rhapsody to go. Sadly you can't without paying $1.99 a track even with a Rhapsody to go subscription. Totally blows IMO.
    02-17-09 05:55 AM
    Thnx for the reply. My device is authorized. I was asking if the Storm could be utilized to just play any song or album as you would on a PC with Rhapsody to go. Sadly you can't without paying $1.99 a track even with a Rhapsody to go subscription. Totally blows IMO.
    That is not true, I have been using rhap to go through vzw and have never had to pay .99 to transfer anything. Something is not configured right.

02-17-09 06:33 AM
    I had problems when I first set it up and I couldn't authorize my storm. I deleted it from my PC and reinstalled it. Since then it's been fine. I must admit I spent like $30 downloading dumb songs thinking I was getting them for free. Didn't need to pay $2 for an old Chub Rock song.

02-17-09 08:01 AM
    That is not true, I have been using rhap to go through vzw and have never had to pay .99 to transfer anything. Something is not configured right.

I do not wish to transfer from my PC to my Blackberry Storm. I have an Ipod for all my music and video needs. What I wish to do is just search find and listen to random songs on the Storm from the Verizon/Rhapsody server. Does that make sense to anyone? Just a stand alone music player like I can do with my PC subscription without transfer involvement from any PC.
    02-17-09 11:44 AM
    I do not wish to transfer from my PC to my Blackberry Storm. I have an Ipod for all my music and video needs. What I wish to do is just search find and listen to random songs on the Storm from the Verizon/Rhapsody server. Does that make sense to anyone? Just a stand alone music player like I can do with my PC subscription without transfer involvement from any PC.
    Edit - Misread what you meant, what Philly-Sports said below I believe is true. I haven't tried using my sub to browse and download a song for free with my storm yet, I only use the PC to get it all. I'll try and browse/download one in a little bit and report back if it tries to charge me.
    Last edited by Gendail; 02-17-09 at 11:56 AM.
    02-17-09 11:49 AM
    I'm thinking you're talking only OTA? If so, then the answer with Rhapsody-to-go, the answer is "no".

I'm thinking with VCAST/Rhapsody (or whatever they call it), you can do OTA to you're heart's content - but you'll be paying for each song.
    02-17-09 11:51 AM
    its too expensive or i would use it.
    02-17-09 11:54 AM
    I'm thinking you're talking only OTA? If so, then the answer with Rhapsody-to-go, the answer is "no".

I'm thinking with VCAST/Rhapsody (or whatever they call it), you can do OTA to you're heart's content - but you'll be paying for each song.
    Right exactly. Silly to pay for each song when you have a subscription. Would be cool to play a random album or track though. Maybe someday....

Ok thnx! (~_~)
    02-17-09 12:44 PM
    It is a bit of a design flaw IMO and it has been submitted to Verizon as a suggested change via internal communication.
    02-17-09 01:51 PM
    There have also been major issues with resynching tracks that you subscribe to every 30 days.

For me - this is the killer.
    02-17-09 04:04 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD