I'm running OS .85 and I'm pretty sure that the reason those who i talk to say I sound muffled, is because the noise isolation is still very buggy. The two mics on the phone most likely picks up my voice and "thinks" its background noise and tries to filter it out.

Only reason why all my callers say I sound muffled but CRYSTAL clear when on speaker. I assume noise cancellation is turned off while on speaker. So far this is my second phone and both have the same problem.
    Last edited by xxraffyxx; 01-11-09 at 11:00 PM.
    01-11-09 10:43 PM
    I think you are right on target- it's a crummy first attempt by RIM at active noise cancellation. Its bad and through lots of testing I agree with your assessment. People tell me the same-- almost makes you want to go pick up a landline to finish the call.

No way to turn it off as far as I know.
    01-11-09 10:55 PM
    I completely agree from what I've heard of my voice when using the handset. People often say how much better it sounds when I switch to my BT headset. Which is annoying...
    01-11-09 11:18 PM
    I should amend my statement above-- the noise cancellation in fact works quite well, reducing all background noise to a very high level (road noise, mall, television, etc.). The only problem is that it goes too far and destroys the very waveform it should be sending, the user's voice.

I really wish there was an option to disable it like the OP is seeking.
    01-12-09 09:26 AM
    This is frustrating. I got a replacement phone and updated to .86 and still I'm hearing complaints of bad phone quality. COMMON!!!!! I still use my phone as a phone the reason I am on verizon is because I love having clear calls, but with this phone i sound muffled
    01-16-09 11:43 AM
    Ok plz don't laugh but there's a noise cancelling feature on the storm? Where is the second mic? However this does explain a lot!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-16-09 11:48 AM
    I BELIEVE the mic is on the very top of th phone. Above the ear speaker and between the lock and mute button.
    01-16-09 11:51 AM
    I cant believe I hadnt noticed this, it also makes sence that when I had the skin on my Storm no one could ever hear me but as soon as I would remove the skin the conversation would be clear, as for the muffled I would always blame my friends phone. haha I would never admit to my wonderfull storm having a minor issue, I guess I was wrong.
    01-16-09 12:07 PM
    I have found that when there is some background noise (radio, tv etc) I get no complaints. As soon as I eleminate all background noise I start getting compaints.
    01-16-09 12:38 PM
    I have found that when there is some background noise (radio, tv etc) I get no complaints. As soon as I eleminate all background noise I start getting compaints.
    YES! thats what others have noted. This is a real BIG let down. I'm sure its just a an update we need. Awaiting another update.

those who do not have people complaining of how they sound... what version OS do you have?
    01-16-09 12:54 PM
    I'm on .75 and have had no complaints about sound - except occaisionally when I am using my BT headset.
    01-16-09 05:04 PM
    I'm on .75 and have had no complaints about sound - except occaisionally when I am using my BT headset.
    What do they complain about specifically when you have the Bluetooth? (Muffled, dropped calls, voice fades in and out, etc)
    01-16-09 05:21 PM
    I thought the small opening at the top was a light sensor. At least when riding in a car with bright sunlight shining in covering it up seemed to adjust the brightness.
    01-16-09 09:20 PM
    I thought the small opening at the top was a light sensor. At least when riding in a car with bright sunlight shining in covering it up seemed to adjust the brightness.
    No, the light sensor is co-located with the LED indicator. You can test it yourself by covering/uncovering it with your finger.
    01-16-09 09:27 PM
    No, the light sensor is co-located with the LED indicator. You can test it yourself by covering/uncovering it with your finger.
    That's what I had originally thought, but it sure seemed covering up the opening is what made a difference. Maybe I was just confused that day. I do see the LED doesn't take up the entire opening.
    01-16-09 09:41 PM
    Has anyone tested out disabling auto volume control under enhanced audio?
    01-19-09 03:12 PM
    i get complaints daily. i got a heavy accent so i thought it was that but im always asked to take the marbels out my mouth.
    01-19-09 03:25 PM
    Yeah I've experimented with this in order to get better handset audio performance. I prefer it on, as it tends to result in a more consistent volume. Otherwise, I can barely hear some people that like to whisper all the time.
    01-19-09 04:27 PM
    Any good solution to this? I've been using my bluetooth headset but I'm getting impatient waiting for a fix. I'm currently on my 3rd storm

01-20-09 10:52 PM
    I haven't tested but I have been using it and don't really recognize the difference.

I think it just adjusts listening volume using the same noise recognition.

01-20-09 11:02 PM
    Any good solution to this? I've been using my bluetooth headset but I'm getting impatient waiting for a fix. I'm currently on my 3rd storm

Solution for now is to keep using your Bluetooth headset. That's what I do and I keep sending emails to RIM at [email protected] asking them to address it in the next firmware update.
    01-20-09 11:10 PM
    Solution for now is to keep using your Bluetooth headset. That's what I do and I keep sending emails to RIM at [email protected] asking them to address it in the next firmware update.
    Its been awhile but I wonder if this was a problem with the .75 OS. I've been running the latest leaked OS, but if .75 microphone worked better I might downgrade OS
    01-20-09 11:18 PM
    Has anyone NOT have any complaints with there mic. I might consider another replacement because it seems this phones mic has been the worst out of my 3 storms.

01-21-09 11:10 AM
    I am running the official .75 and I am not having any problems.
    I refuse to mess with the leaks............................
    01-21-09 12:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD