Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off the BES setup on a Storm without doing a wipe? I've been using BES but want to turn it off and use strictly the BIS. I'd rather not have to wipe the phone. Thanks
    06-04-09 10:15 AM
    Call Verizon and have them switch your Data Plan from BES to BIS...it will save you some money too.
    06-04-09 10:44 AM
    Agreed, but how do I tell the Blackberry to stop looking for the BES?
    06-04-09 10:46 AM
    It should stop looking for it once you switch from BES to BIS. If it doesn't have your IT check and make sure your phone was removed from their BES.
    06-04-09 10:47 AM
    First, why do you want to give up the BES? That will help with giving you an answer.

I've turned off BES for my browser by simply going to options and then selecting "internet browser" instead of "blackberry browser." Go to options, browser config, then at the top the drop down menu should be changed to Internet browser. Also, under browser>options>general properties, change the default browser from Blackberry browser to Internet browser. that way, any browsing you do will not go thru your company's BES server.

Another way to get completely rid of BES is to reinstall or upgrade your OS while NOT on the company network. It's automatically deactivated when you install or upgrade the OS. I always have to get my BES admin to send me a new activation and password.
    06-04-09 10:56 AM
    First, why do you want to give up the BES? That will help with giving you an answer.

I've turned off BES for my browser by simply going to options and then selecting "internet browser" instead of "blackberry browser." Go to options, browser config, then at the top the drop down menu should be changed to Internet browser. Also, under browser>options>general properties, change the default browser from Blackberry browser to Internet browser. that way, any browsing you do will not go thru your company's BES server.

Another way to get completely rid of BES is to reinstall or upgrade your OS while NOT on the company network. It's automatically deactivated when you install or upgrade the OS. I always have to get my BES admin to send me a new activation and password.
    I outsource my BES (I'm a small busn owner) and have decided to go strictly to gmail rather than using Outlook coupled with Exchange. The only reason to get rid of the BES is to save money (no monthly BES and Exchange fees and I can use the lower priced Verizon blackberry package).

That said, I'd rather not have to wipe the blackberry to have it talk strictly to the BIS.
    06-04-09 10:58 AM
    You don't have to wipe it. Just reinstall or upgrade the OS through desktop manager. Be sure to select "backup" as part of the process.
    06-04-09 11:02 AM
    You don't have to wipe it. Just reinstall or upgrade the OS through desktop manager. Be sure to select "backup" as part of the process.
    Let me run through this then:

1. turn off BES w. outsourced provider
    2. switch data plan from BES to BIS w. Verizon
    3. run loader.exe and reinstall OS (I'm assuming I can just reinstall the existing OS that I'm already runninng?)

That should reset it to use strictly the BIS?

Thanks!
    06-04-09 11:04 AM
    based on my experience of having upgraded my Storm OS at least 6 times. All of my BES syncing is gone, BES emails, calendar, etc. The data is still there, but there's no more connection with any BES server.

Just be sure to do a manual backup first, just to be safe, before doing the reinstall.
    06-04-09 11:07 AM
    Also, as I saw above, simply calling Verizon and having them stop the service may be all you need. I'd recommend calling them as well.
    06-04-09 11:08 AM
    Ok, so now I've done everything and I'm curious if anyone knows how I can erase all the existing emails/contacts/calendar data without wiping?
    06-04-09 11:37 AM

I've always wondered about this. Does using the "Internet Browser" (as opposed to "Blackberry Browser") completely bypass BES? I'm connected to BES but would prefer my company not be able to review my browser history if possible.
    06-04-09 11:46 AM
    Ok, so now I've done everything and I'm curious if anyone knows how I can erase all the existing emails/contacts/calendar data without wiping?
    Can't you go into Desktop Manager, and clear those items manually through Backup/Restore?
    06-04-09 11:48 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD