Stop complaining, we're all sick of it. And stop giving people who actually know what they're talking about **** over things that are beyond their control. If you don't like the phone, take it back and get off the forums.

The storm OS forum is a joke, 5+ new threads every day asking when a new OS is going to be released. And you whiners keep pissing off the only people who had anything decent to say, so all we have now is "OMG NEW OS WHENS?!?!?!?!" or "OMG .XX softwarez fail, plz fix!!!!!"

Pathetic. And I'm not going to read this thread again, so don't bother posting anything in response to this.

/rant
    Couldn't agree more! Stop obsessing with this s**t and go find your lives - you'll be much happier
    02-05-09 06:27 AM
    No offense, but you obviously have never taken a statistics class. It is obvious that people, including myself, said it is a good os because it is the better os, not because it is what we should be. And besides most people voted on that, also including myself, before we had it for more than a day. I loved the first day and now it sucks and the screen freezes and getts blurry and texting sucks.

Maybe the Storm can't handle OS for more than a day or two.
    STAT 301 Statistics for Scientists and Engineers (Undergrad)
    STAT 525 Statistics for Engineers and Managers I (Grad)
    STAT 535 Statistics for Engineers and Managers II (Grad)

Yes, I have taken all three, but I'm not sure why you think it's relevant. I'll be glad to do some ANOVA, regression analysis, or simple z-testing for you if you want to throw some more data my way. Would you like alpha set at .01, .05, .10?

Back on topic, I stand by my opinion of .99 and am sorry you don't share the experience. I'm currently sitting at 90hrs 6mins 17secs of uptime and have had ZERO lockups. Memory is still hovering in the ~40 range. Took phone off charger yesterday at ~8am, used it moderately throughout the day and decided not to put it on the charger last night. Woke up this morning sitting at 4 bars. Voice notes record, media player doesn't cause resets, Slacker is beautiful, and the camera is very fast now, etc. Not a thing to complain about.

So Mr. Statisitics, you have identified an alternative hypothesis that everyone took the .99 poll in the first 24 hours and subsequently .99 goes on the fritz after 24-48 hours. Why don't you go ahead and open a new poll and see if we can reject the null and accept your alternative?
    Last edited by The Antagonist; 02-05-09 at 09:15 AM.
    02-05-09 08:33 AM
    i just scroll through the pages and read what CX and Sith say.
    02-05-09 08:58 AM
    i just scroll through the pages and read what CX and Sith say.
    Me too, I haven't seen this much whining since the iPhone was first released.
    02-05-09 09:18 AM
    People just have to accept the fact that the OS is just not there yet, and no amount of complaining is going to change that. Is that right? Absolutely not, but its a fact of life.

To the people however who are complaining about the complainers...

It is obvious from the title of this thread that there will be arguments and debates going on in this thread. If users post their concerns in a polite and civilized manner then they are entitled to express their opinion. I am sick of people complaining about the complainers. There are about as many posts either way.

As far as the people in the know getting fed up...

I don't think that they will permanently leave us. They live for this stuff as much as we do. They shouldn't have to take the abuse that people heap on them, but they have very thick skins and can take a few blows. They like to debate, and if people can come up with more than "it sucks they need to get out an official OS ASAP" thread then they will stop an chat for awhile. They are too nice a people to screw over the people who are legitimatly looking for answers and advice.

On a side not... I am putting together a study comparing the initial speed bumps experianced by the Bold and comparing them to the bumps experianced by the Storm. I have already discovered a few interesting tidbits. I am digging through the Bold forums and snagging good posts pro and con, am going to go back through as many reviews for both as I can, and have a feeler out in the Bold forums looking for responses. Hopefully they can assist me.
    02-05-09 09:33 AM
    I was told the other day by a Verizon Employee that the release should be soon within a couple of weeks if not next week. Be patient!
    02-05-09 10:52 AM
    yester, normally i agree with you , but in this case , i would have to say ..... atleast 50 percent or more of the devices in circulation are flawed, either its the click , or the dust getting under the screen , that is two hardware malfunctions. i have been through 7 storms for a reason , i finally got one that has been perfect. so not all are , but majority
    Pull that 50% number out of your a**?

Just a tip
    If you went through 7 devices before actually getting one that works; head out immediately and buy a lotto ticket, you hit the jackpot.
    02-05-09 10:54 AM
    FWIW, there will likely never be a final operating system. as bugs are found, they are fixed, until everything major is worked out and the only bugs left are deemed insignificant and not worth the time fixing. if you read your contract, there is nothing that defines what the OS must do, or how fast it should do it. You are guaranteed a phone, the vzw network, evdo rev. a, email, internet etc plus whatever FEATURES are said to be included on the phone. i.e. stereo bluetooth, gps etc.

time to get off the high and mighty horses and grow up. CX said it best, if you cant take the wait, TAKE BACK THE DEVICE.

Finally, to CX, Sith and the rest of the 'in the know bunch', thanks for everything you've shared with us to date. Be it, leaked OSes, feedback or even so much as correcting the self-proclaimed experts.
    02-05-09 11:11 AM
    I was told the other day by a Verizon Employee that the release should be soon within a couple of weeks if not next week. Be patient!
    Thats what they tell everyone so you'll get off their back and leave them alone. STOP LISTENING TO THEM. Its been almost two months since the last release and every other day since .75 was released someone comes on here and posts 'a VZW employee said a release is coming in two weeks!'. Well guess what, NONE of them have been right, and to the best of my knowledge, VZW employees wont know about updates until 24-48 hours prior.
    02-05-09 11:14 AM
    why don't you use the .76 on the vzw phone i use it on my and it working fine don't run into anything yet
    02-05-09 11:30 AM
    BTW I do not think this is an issue about people being spoiled (as some users have alluded to) - I think ppl rightfully demand a stable OS from such an expensive product. Granted, this is a first Gen device, but RIM should not be surprised by ppl wanting a device that doesnt crash while they are on the way to pick up a girl for their first date (welcome to my personal ****). at any rate, I am happy to wait until RIM pings out a real bona-fide stable OS, and am content to tinker around with these leaks in the meantime
    02-05-09 12:04 PM
    See that... its funny... the techies find it normal for an os to be unstable and defend it. The other "users" kick it.

Its all about expectations and what is reasonable to expect from a product in the 600 euro range. I'll chip in 250 euro's to get it to court to fight out what is reasonable to expect for that amount of cash. If 2500 users also chip in a 2500 euro's we're off to a good start....

Lets see how many are willing to put their money where their mouth is
    02-05-09 01:25 PM
    Where it has gotten complex and confusing is that people cant get the betas out of their heads. It's been said again and again .75 is stable and nothing is broken in it. It's not as smooth as we would like and it is definitely SLOW.

As far as VZW knows and approves all of us are using .75 not anything newer and they should not even enter the equation when discussing weather we are getting what we pay for. We are paying for .75, and that does work just fine.

You CHOOSE to use the newer builds and by choosing to do so you take on the responsibility of dealing with any bugs and loose any rights to complain about them since officially you don't even have it.

No! Get it out of your head that .75 is stable. It is nothing close to stable! And it does NOT work FINE. I have been living with it and not upgrading to the betas. Maybe you forget how bad .75 is. Or maybe you do not use many of the functions of the Storm?

- It hangs or reboots if you try to record a video or play a video that it recorded.
    - It hangs up the phone when you try to answer it 50% of the time.
    - It lags on text entry
    - it lags on everything
    - it is slow on almost every function you use.
    - screen transitions are slow
    - It looses network connectivity when using ORB.
    - It drops connections in Flycast or any other network based service even though you have 4 bars and reboots some times.
    - you can not rely on it functioning properly ever. It is functional 80% of the time but never when you really want it like recording a video of something you care about and have one shot to get it and it is gone and the video recorder in the phone hangs and reboots on you.
    - seems to lock in random shorter time periods than what I have it set to lock for.

- Then there are the inconvenience things like the screen brightness is too bright at night or in the dark but too dim for the day so you have to set to 10% in the dark and 80% in the day. Why can't it be an option based on time of day to set it?
    - No easy way to add a new contact while in the phone app. Phone, MENU and there is no ADD CONTACT.
    - no display of wallpaper on landscape mode.
    - you have to lock it before going into Bedside mode or you loose the clock.
    - lots of other stuff

But basically it is not worth what I have been paying for it since Nov 21st.

I like the idea of the device and what it is suppose to be able to do. I wish it would do it reliably and at least most every time. But it is just so temperamental and you can not trust it working. Sometimes I feel like I need to carry a differnt phone and camera and video camera and MP3 player just so I can count on them working!

I get so upset with it when I go for a walk each day and end up spending 10 minutes trying to get it to play a News talk TV station in ORB or having to restart Flycast 4 times in 90 minutes time as it looses connectivity. Or I see something I want to take a short video of but after a minute or 2 or 3 or recording it hangs for another 3 minutes and then reboots for 5 minutes and I loose all function on the device for that 8 minute period and loose the video recording! It does this even when using the PAUSE MENU MENU PLAY method RIM advises to use.

But it is NOT stable. It only works most of the time but not all of the time.
    It is NOT like it is fully functional. Yes everything works some of the time but the fact that it never works most of the time or all of the time is a real killer.

I have been in the software industry for the past 30 years. It does not take 3 months to fix these type of bugs. What the heck are they working on?
    They could at least fix some of the issues and post the fixes as they are available.

So you are definitely delusional when you state " .75 is stable and nothing is broken in it". It is far from stable and lots of stuff is broken in it.

We want an update. It does not need to be perfect as it never will be. I just want to see some improvement.

And as the OP asked we just want to know a timeframe for a new OS and fixes. If it is going to be another 2 or 3 months then I want to go get a phone that works.

If it is just another 2 weeks then I will wait but at least give us a clue.
    02-05-09 01:26 PM
    Then get a different phone. There is no clue. Nobody knows. They certainly must be working on something for them to have gone through this many betas since the release. If you don't think they are, again... get another phone. If you think RIM is screwing people and they are going downhill... get another phone. If you just don't like anything about the Storm, or you find some deal breaker... get another phone. If I pay money for something and it does not meet my expectations, I get rid of it. Plain and simple. Either get another phone, or wait and shut up. Jesus Christ. Obviously, the bbstorm isn't 4 some people.
    02-05-09 01:37 PM
    I have been in the software industry for the past 30 years. It does not take 3 months to fix these type of bugs.
    You are absolutely right! It usually takes much more than 3 months to fix these issues. So far, the progress in leaked builds has been very encouraging and it's easy to see how hard the developers in W-loo are trying.

You are in "business software" development, right?
    02-05-09 01:45 PM
    You are absolutely right! It usually takes much more than 3 months to fix these issues. So far, the progress in leaked builds has been very encouraging and it's easy to see how hard the developers in W-loo are trying.

You are in "business software" development, right?

I have done OS software, Business Software and Device driver software over the 30 years. Now I mostly do performance tuning of Application software on multi-million dollar Unix servers. I have worked on Apps that deal with Power Grids, transportation routing, databases and Hospital applications that are life and death focused on patients. Stuff that has to work and work well. If it cores or reboot you might be the cause of a loss of a life.

But fixing these phones is not rocket science, or like decoding DNA. It is just OS, App software and Firmware. It is not that hard to fix these things. Why do you thing they have been able to put out so many Betas and leaks? It is easy. They just keep making mistakes and have to go with another build to try to get it more stable.

Surely they must have fixed something that they could let us have a release quality version of instead of making us wait until it is all fixed.
    Last edited by bbstorm4me; 02-05-09 at 02:01 PM.
    02-05-09 01:55 PM
    there has to be about a billion issues to work out with a 1st gen device though... make one improvement and that messes up three other things. rework same improvement, only 75% as effective but only messes up one other thing. rethink entire approach, make 50% improvement and mess nothing else up. that is the iterative programming process that i am familiar with. i understand how it can take a long time and why RIM does not want to release another buggy OS. if it does, it loses massive street cred
    02-05-09 01:59 PM
    AMEN...
    Have fun with what you got, if you dont like it go back to .75. We are lucky to be afforded the opportunity to use these Beta's. I have never seen more spoiled people as I have seen here in these particular forums. It has been only 4 days since the last leak and as I look at all the threads of "When is the next release" or "What do you think the next release will be" or even "Wish list" it makes me laugh and realize how unappreciative some are.
    Well here is my wish, I would like my storm to work perfectly, make my bed, walk my dog, iron my shirts make me breakfast and last but not least wash my car......until then I am going to keep loading beta's, officials or whatever might come along and enjoy what I get.....

My .02 worth and remember patience is a virtue

Classic Answer Love it!
    02-05-09 02:01 PM
    Agree about the apps, people need to stop compaining about the price of some of the non free apps. Now that i have used it, I would pay 20 for quicklauncher.

Yes Quicklauncher is worth every penny!!!
    02-05-09 02:03 PM
    i understand how it can take a long time and why RIM does not want to release another buggy OS. if it does, it loses massive street cred
    They have already lost massive street credit with the STORM. They need to start getting some of it back by releaseing some fixes.

If .99 fixes some of these problems then release it if it is better than .75.
    02-05-09 02:05 PM
    And untill that happens RIM has no rights whatsoever. I am sorry CX but I am starting to get to the point where I want RIM to pay me for using their phone..... instead of the other way around.

Hello, PC

What is you going rate?

Also PC is a generic term for Personal Computer. So you would be correct to say that a MAC is a PC! But The cloths are a different story

Cold over there in the Netherlands? Zero here in the NE!

Have a wonderful day and I like your avatar. Saw Wall E yesterday quirky movie I must say.
    02-05-09 02:09 PM
    I have done OS software, Business Software and Device driver software over the 30 years. Now I mostly do performance tuning of Application software on multi-million dollar Unix servers. I have worked on Apps that deal with Power Grids, transportation routing, databases and Hospital applications that are life and death focused on patients. Stuff that has to work and work well. If it cores or reboot you might be the cause of a loss of a life.

But fixing these phones is not rocket science, or like decoding DNA. It is just OS, App software and Firmware. It is not that hard to fix these things. Why do you thing they have been able to put out so many Betas and leaks? It is easy. They just keep making mistakes and have to go with another build to try to get it more stable.

Surely they must have fixed something that they could let us have a release quality version of instead of making us wait until it is all fixed.
    When I read this, I can't help but think that you make it sound easy enough for you to fix it. Then I think, "well, if it's that easy, why doesn't he fix it?" I suppose the natural answer to this would be that you shouldn't have to. You're right... you shouldn't. So try another phone and see if that works for you. Or, you could straighten out this whole mess for RIM, seeing as it's "just OS, App software and Firmware." After all, I'm sure that your thirty years of whatever you do has accumulated to way more knowledge about everything than the 25 year old company with a multi-billion dollar revenue.
    02-05-09 02:11 PM
    When I read this, I can't help but think that you make it sound easy enough for you to fix it. Then I think, "well, if it's that easy, why doesn't he fix it?" I suppose the natural answer to this would be that you shouldn't have to. You're right... you shouldn't. So try another phone and see if that works for you. Or, you could straighten out this whole mess for RIM, seeing as it's "just OS, App software and Firmware." After all, I'm sure that your thirty years of whatever you do has accumulated to way more knowledge about everything than the 25 year old company with a multi-billion dollar revenue.
    It is not a knowledge thing. They have knowledge. They can do it and they are doing it. They have beta leaked releases. They just do not have official releases that would help us get going. We want to see some improvement in an official capacity. I do not want to load leaks that are not supported.

I can not fix their stuff as I do not have access to it. Nor do I have time for it or the desire to do it. They know what they are doing. Their QA just sucks apparently or they would not have delayed a month or so in Oct/nov and they would not have releases on .64. That was really bad.

It blew me away that they would release an OS that was that poor quality.
    02-05-09 02:47 PM
    It is not a knowledge thing. They have knowledge. They can do it and they are doing it. They have beta leaked releases. They just do not have official releases that would help us get going. We want to see some improvement in an official capacity. I do not want to load leaks that are not supported.

I can not fix their stuff as I do not have access to it. Nor do I have time for it or the desire to do it. They know what they are doing. Their QA just sucks apparently or they would not have delayed a month or so in Oct/nov and they would not have releases on .64. That was really bad.

It blew me away that they would release an OS that was that poor quality.
    Yes, they messed up with the release. There is no denying that. But now, people are saying that they should be releasing something that they do not feel is good enough... again? So people are essentially complaining about what they did, yet, wanting them to do it again. No, they don't want that, im sorry. They want it to be fixed. Right now. True American mentallity. I'm having a hard time gathering why so many people have so many problems with this phone, but continue to use it.

I agree with the last part. I was stunned by RIM's mistakes with the release, given all the wonderful things I have heard. Yet, now they are in the process of trying to save some face and satisfy their customers. It all comes back, once again, to the customer. If they are unhappy with it, then why keep it? RIM has a broad line up of products. Why stick with the one that's having issues and then sit around and complain about it?
    02-05-09 03:02 PM
    Anything other than .75 is illegal and unreleased software, thus you can't complain about it.
    Are you serious CX if I am running anything other that .75 I can be arrested because it is illegal?
    Last edited by dbaynejr; 02-05-09 at 03:13 PM.
    02-05-09 03:09 PM
171 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD