If you havent had it for more than 30 days, just return it. I contemplated on doing so, but gambled with getting a decent future OS
    That's exactly what I did....again...the whole thing needs to be revamped. All of the talk about an OS at the end of December, then mid January...still nothing. Patient is one thing...battery pull after battery pull and lack of response is all a big problem.

.75....I guess works...but is so laggy that it alone would have made me take it back without what I mentioned in the first part of my post.
    02-04-09 10:13 PM
    Contacts weren't loading at first, but I can say WOW I have to give credit where due and this .99 OS is acting COMPLETELY different after doing a full wipe first. It almost feels like a completely different phone. Everything is faster, keyboard hasn't acted up once, everything seems perfect. Keyboard maybe a TAD slower than .90 OS but nothing too bad at all. WTF?
    02-04-09 10:15 PM
    Why is this gotten so complex and confusing, the bottom line is very simple. If anyone is paying X amount of dollars per month for a cell phone, paid X amount of dollars for the Storm, pays X amount of dollars for unlimited SMS messaging, pays X amount of dollars for minutes and data plan and everything else - the LEAST we can ask for is a phone that does the BASIC functions properly. Of course there will always be upgrades that's beside the point. When I owned and LG Voyager and the first firmware update came out for it you better believe I was going crazy! But before the firmware update, you better believe the BASIC PHONE FUNCTIONING worked absolutely perfectly.

On the .75 OS the blue light and keystrokes were WAY behind the average user. When my buddy types on his Storm with .75 OS I crack up at how awfully slow it is and he just laughs and says he's used to it or he gets tons and tons of errors. The point that I'm making is not that the leaked beta versions of these updates aren't perfect, it's that I can't get over the fact that an OS hasn't been officially released from Verizon yet just to at least SATISFY those of us who previously enjoyed MAXIMIZING the money we spent on unlimited SMS messaging every month.

Agreed...we sign a contract and spend money on functionality....why is it we don't deserve it?
    02-04-09 10:17 PM
    Agreed...we sign a contract and spend money on functionality....why is it we don't deserve it?
    What are these specific OS's issues in the contract... I must have missed that part........

I signed mine but never saw anything.......

Here is your agreement you signed with VZW......

Customer Agreement
    Last edited by yester18; 02-04-09 at 10:35 PM.
    02-04-09 10:28 PM
    bound to a 2 year agreement with a PHONE that may or may not work over time. get over yourself and the indulgent view you have...the device is flawed.
    02-04-09 10:37 PM
    i want my new os and i want it now!!!!
    02-04-09 10:38 PM
    I wonder what percentage of the Storm users still use .75. If it weren't for the leaks, I would have returned it. To me, .75 was more or less stable (it would freeze now and then, forcing the dreadful battery pull) but the typing and general performance were poor. I'm now reasonably happy with .99, which is showing to be much more stable than .75 on my phone, with bugs that are for now acceptable. It's the first time I'm not so anxious about a new leak or official OS. Still, I do think it's taking long for the new official OS to come out. Even though other phones may have had problems and long times before updates, none had issues that were so prominently displayed by the media as the Storm. It was, after all, completely trashed by the tech reviewer of the most prestigious newspaper in the world. Its issues became subject of a newspaper that is the most influential among the audience that's the typical target of a BlackBerry. This should demand an extra effort from RIM to have a nice OS as quickly as possible. It hasn't happened, and that justifies the frustrations, in my view. Still, as I said, I'm content with .99 now and feeling more patient to wait for the really good OS.
    02-04-09 10:44 PM
    bound to a 2 year agreement with a PHONE that may or may not work over time. get over yourself and the indulgent view you have...the device is flawed.

The device is not flawed.........

Also you as a customer have the choice to take it back..
    02-04-09 10:48 PM

Yes, the device is flawed (OS .75 is performs terribly, although better than .65)
    02-04-09 10:58 PM
    I love the line from the intro to Burn Notice... a bunch of whiney *******

Take your phones back if you're unhappy. These posts make it look like the storm sucks and I absolutely love mine. It's new technology and new cutting edge technology often takes some brains and skill to use. So you stupid uncoordinated people please take yours back and go away...

insert smile and wink and nudge here....

But seriously... give us all a break....
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 02-05-09 at 09:25 AM.
    02-04-09 11:02 PM
    Yes, the device is flawed (OS .75 is performs terribly, although better than .65)
    You are partially correct. The Device(Hardware is fine not flawed) It's 1st generation, and it's doing okay IMO. But the OS is flawed. But again what phones has verizon brought out 1st generation, that they have not had OS problems with. Things get fixed over time...... like I mentioned to Jeep in the above post... You as a consumer have to choice to take the device back...

I know my response may not prove anything to any of you but, it's a simple fact.... The device is device, Verizon will change it out if any hardware problem arise. Which they honor in their customer agreement. But as for the OS, even though they are responsible for the OS that is issued, does not make the "Device" flawed.
    02-04-09 11:08 PM
    Stop complaining, we're all sick of it. And stop giving people who actually know what they're talking about **** over things that are beyond their control. If you don't like the phone, take it back and get off the forums.

The storm OS forum is a joke, 5+ new threads every day asking when a new OS is going to be released. And you whiners keep pissing off the only people who had anything decent to say, so all we have now is "OMG NEW OS WHENS?!?!?!?!" or "OMG .XX softwarez fail, plz fix!!!!!"

Pathetic. And I'm not going to read this thread again, so don't bother posting anything in response to this.

/rant
    02-04-09 11:09 PM
    This is all I have to say on the matter...

View Poll Results: Is .99 a Winner or a Loser?
    This poll will close on 02-12-2009 at 09:30 AM
    Winner- Excellent Install! 663 87.58%
    Loser - Don't waste your time or effort! 94 12.42%
    Voters: 757.

Its all a choice you make, you either upgrade or you dont. But dont condem something (meaning the Beta's) that your not even supposed to have.
    If you dont like the device take it back....as a consumer you have the right.

.99 is a definate move in the right direction...................
    02-04-09 11:09 PM
    Hey...I bought a storm and haven't returned it because I'm willing to wait. The best has yet to come! They'll get it right....
    02-04-09 11:11 PM
    .75 is both functional and reliable. I have been running it since I got my storm in mid-December. Aside from 1 or 2 reboots, there is nothing wrong with it at all. I've been tempted to upgrade to some of the leaked versions, but I don't want to risk the reliability I currently have. Once they do come out with a new version, I'm sure I'll wish I had installed one of the leaked versions, but I'm happy for now.

Anybody played with a 1st gen Motorola Q? That thing was horrible and it took them about a year to come up with an OS patch for it.

Switch back to .75 or the curve if you're not happy.
    Actually, I had a first gen Moto Q, and it was HORRIBLE. They NEVER released any software upgrades, the finally replaced the phone with an upgraded model. Microsoft almost never upgrades OS software. I have never had a phone where the OS was as diligently upgraded as the Storm. I know Apple has released firmware updates, to fix, for example, their connectivity issue on the 3G phone, and it took them a couple tries to get it right (which they did). Not too long ago I had a Samsung WinMob phone, and the upgrade from 6.0 to 6.1, which was "official" was also defective. The phone could not "wake" from sleeping, ever. That software was never replaced; they finally discontinued the phone altogether. So, for all its failings, the Storm is being worked on as hard as it possibly can be. I do agree the range of problems people have with the various builds is very strange, but I think they are slowly converging on a build that is both faster and more stable. I have 99, and other than the initial install, where it lost my BES account and settings, it has behaved very nicely. It isn't perfect--but it certainly is a highly usable phone. I think it's great they release these builds, it gives us something to play with, and gives them much broader data under a wider variety of user conditions than they could get on their own, so everyone wins.
    02-04-09 11:23 PM

yester, normally i agree with you , but in this case , i would have to say ..... atleast 50 percent or more of the devices in circulation are flawed, either its the click , or the dust getting under the screen , that is two hardware malfunctions. i have been through 7 storms for a reason , i finially got one that has been perfect. so not all are , but majority
    02-05-09 12:09 AM
    Go read a book and wait.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-05-09 12:49 AM
    yester, normally i agree with you , but in this case , i would have to say ..... atleast 50 percent or more of the devices in circulation are flawed, either its the click , or the dust getting under the screen , that is two hardware malfunctions. i have been through 7 storms for a reason , i finially got one that has been perfect. so not all are , but majority
    where does the dust go under the screen? like does it float over into the middle? or just around the edges.
    02-05-09 12:57 AM
    .99 is very close to perfect for me and I don't understand why your experience is so different.[/QUOTE]

No offense, but you obviously have never taken a statistics class. It is obvious that people, including myself, said it is a good os because it is the better os, not because it is what we should be. And besides most people voted on that, also including myself, before we had it for more than a day. I loved the first day and now it sucks and the screen freezes and getts blurry and texting sucks.

Maybe the Storm can't handle OS for more than a day or two.
    02-05-09 01:02 AM
    "Verizon will change it out if any hardware problem arise"

It doesn't let me quote anyone until I have 10 posts. But to the person who wrote that ha. Take a business school class. Verizon is no way will replace everyone's faulty storm. The whole design of it is flawed. Have you ever seen a computer that gets a ****load of dust in it? It eventually turns into crap. The whole design with letting dust and particles get into device is flawed. I am happy with .99 for the $120 i spent. If I spent $300 like thet i phone i would expect that quality.
    I think that is what people dont realize. Compared to the i phone its a piece of crap. But the i phone costs more. You get what you pay for.
    02-05-09 01:11 AM
    At&t Bold still has not had its first update yet
    Yep, but their firmware (.167) is a few points newer than Rogers's launch version (.162) and I believe I read somewhere that Orange, who has had all of those much talked about problems, is also using.
    02-05-09 02:58 AM
    Haha, but that is a network issue, not a device thing.
    It's BOTH.
    02-05-09 03:00 AM
    The AT&T OS is a previous build compared to ones that were released by other carriers. Since all builds come from RIM it would stand to reason the newer releases are better than the AT&T release.
    The ones that are stable and relatively bug free ARE. Like the Storm some are more stable than others.

I've been following the Bold for about a year now, hoping against hope that a version of the same phone would eventually come to VZW. I followed the rocky launch with Rogers last year and the repeated launch delays from AT&T (over three months and about 4 official delays after the announcement) and I've skimmed the boards for info about the phone and new OS versions on other carriers, and there were LOTS of issues with OS stability, battery life, the aforementioned 3G connection, etc.

When I finally broke down and added a line on AT&T because I could not stand it anymore and already new that the VZW version would not be the same (but at least it's an improvement), the week after Christmas, after less than a week I upgraded to the most current beta. I probably would have done the most current other carrier official release but that was .190 at the time and the betas were in the .21x range by then.

The point is CX is right, the Bold has had and continues to have issues, but is now pretty good (with updated OS's) and soon the Storm will be in the same boat. My Bold is FASTER and more stable (less errors), and runs smoother than the original firmware. I am very pleased and the only complant I have is the EDGE data network (no 3G here).

I'm frustrated that the newest beta for the Storm actually breaks a core feature (MMS) but I know it will be fixed soon enough. If you look at things overall (not zeroing in on specific issues), the Storm has improved leaps and bounds over the original release and once they get all of the kinks out of the software it will run just as smoote as the Bold, iToy and other glitzy phones. Just give them a little more time.

I see your point but my response to that would be that we stormers wouldn't be demanding another update so soon if RIM had gotten it right the first time. There's still a lot of unresolved issues with the .75 release.
    No more than the .167 release of the BOLD OS.

Lets see,
    AT&T's bold launches with an OS in the 160s range doesnt it? So at least 160 attempts before they "got it right".
    Storm 75 attempts. To put it on par would give you another 90 attempts before it is "gotten right"
    That's true. but how many of those were during the three months of delays the phone had?

Sad to see you go again Crucial.

Sith, you're absolutely right. I actually never really thought about that. Considering, I'd be curious what the BOLD OS .65 and .75 were in comparison to the Storms.
    The Bold launched with .167 and that is the most current official release (for AT&T anyway).
    Last edited by VZWRocka; 02-05-09 at 03:31 AM.
    02-05-09 03:22 AM
    Why is this gotten so complex and confusing, the bottom line is very simple. If anyone is paying X amount of dollars per month for a cell phone, paid X amount of dollars for the Storm, pays X amount of dollars for unlimited SMS messaging, pays X amount of dollars for minutes and data plan and everything else - the LEAST we can ask for is a phone that does the BASIC functions properly. Of course there will always be upgrades that's beside the point. When I owned and LG Voyager and the first firmware update came out for it you better believe I was going crazy! But before the firmware update, you better believe the BASIC PHONE FUNCTIONING worked absolutely perfectly.
    Where it has gotten complex and confusing is that people cant get the betas out of their heads. It's been said again and again .75 is stable and nothing is broken in it. It's not as smooth as we would like and it is definitely SLOW.

As far as VZW knows and approves all of us are using .75 not anything newer and they should not even enter the equation when discussing weather we are getting what we pay for. We are paying for .75, and that does work just fine.

You CHOOSE to use the newer builds and by choosing to do so you take on the responsibility of dealing with any bugs and loose any rights to complain about them since officially you don't even have it.
    02-05-09 03:37 AM
    Nope they're not going to Officially release another OS.
    Geez, how about giving them some time? If they released another and it wasn't perfect, you and other people like you would just have more to complain about. Have some patience. If you can't stand the wait, take the device back. But these threads about "If & When" are useless, as nobody knows, and those that do will not say.
    I've been in development and understand what's probably going on. BUT they have released a phone in alpha state. Not beta. I should say: not even beta.

The OS now has about reached beta stage, since the .80 series. Or at least.... well, with .100 its reached RC state I think.

So how about not saying: please give them some time but please don't release beta phones anymore?

That would be much more reasonable don't you think?

And untill that happens RIM has no rights whatsoever. I am sorry CX but I am starting to get to the point where I want RIM to pay me for using their phone..... instead of the other way around.

THey have had more than 2.5 months to "finish" the OS. Which, when it is in a reasonable "to be released" state is MORE than enough time. Even for microsoft who have a much more difficult task at hand at any time..... dare I say
    02-05-09 04:17 AM
171 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD