There is always that chance the Thunder could have the GSM frequency for this area.

Seems the new Motorola q9n that is coming to Verizon is a world phone that even works on GSM networks in America. At least the leaked model BG got their hands on worked just fine on AT&T.
    07-31-08 10:08 PM
    Perhaps I'm just a Devil's advocate, but I'll take Crucial's "gossip" with a grain of salt. Unless this is Mike Lazaridis or Jim Ballsillie in disguise, I for one trust Boy Genius and Kevin to have a tad more inside info.

Some people just like to stir the pot, but I prefer to deal in facts, not speculation.
    08-01-08 02:18 AM
    Perhaps I'm just a Devil's advocate, but I'll take Crucial's "gossip" with a grain of salt. Unless this is Mike Lazaridis or Jim Ballsillie in disguise, I for one trust Boy Genius and Kevin to have a tad more inside info.

Some people just like to stir the pot, but I prefer to deal in facts, not speculation.
    Haha. If you only knew what you were saying. Np, I'm not mad at you, believe what you want. Just make sure you're around here in a couple months!!!
    08-01-08 09:03 AM
    Duh...i know Canada is in North America....i thought they would use overseas frequencies but anyway. So, then the Thunder is not exclusive to Vodaphone and Verizon? Tha't insane

You sir are an I.D.I.O.T

08-01-08 09:32 AM
    Crucial, the thunder isn't VZW/Vodafone exclusive? I thought it was some kind of lifetime agreement...
    08-01-08 10:37 AM
    You sir are an I.D.I.O.T

How am i an *****, please tell me.
    Last edited by matrix2004; 08-01-08 at 07:16 PM.
    08-01-08 07:14 PM
    And of course there are GSM models of the Thunder.
    Does this mean that there is a possibility the hardware for GSM and CDMA are different (3.2 MP and 5 MP cameras for example?)
    08-01-08 09:42 PM
    Here is RIMs patent on the Touchscreen----> http://blogs.zdnet.com/ip-telephony/...enbbpatent.jpg
    Here's the full patent details...
    SYSTEM AND METHOD OF INTEGRATING A ... - Google Patents
    08-01-08 09:44 PM
    A patent on the display.
    @bigdawg, this obviously has nothing to do with the hardware. Could the hardware be different? Only in what freq is used.
    08-01-08 10:01 PM
    A patent on the display.
    @bigdawg, this obviously has nothing to do with the hardware. Could the hardware be different? Only in what freq is used.
    Not sure if they are working two separate builds. There's been so many conflicting reports I'm starting to wonder if everyone is even talking about the same device.
    08-02-08 01:12 AM
    Not sure if they are working two separate builds. There's been so many conflicting reports I'm starting to wonder if everyone is even talking about the same device.
    Well, theres 3 kind of people, one kind doesn't know anything(but acts like it) 2) carrier reps who know a little, then you have the people who actually know, but are prohibited from saying anything if they want to keep their job.
    08-02-08 03:52 PM
    Well, theres 3 kind of people, one kind doesn't know anything(but acts like it) 2) carrier reps who know a little, then you have the people who actually know, but are prohibited from saying anything if they want to keep their job.
    hahaha!! I guess that is a decent run-down!
    08-02-08 03:53 PM

haha ..... hahaha

O man, yeah... I guess you are right hahaha

Yes, BGR and CB always knows better than RIM and their partners... yup!

Don't you think RIM has BGR and CB held by their balls?! They can only show certain things... and they are all controlled tightly by RIM.

CB, BGR, Engadget, all of the tech news blogs and sites do not always have 100% of the info that is available...
    08-02-08 03:57 PM
    Yes, BGR and CB always knows better than RIM and their partners... yup!
    You say this sarcastically but there's a good deal of truth in your foolish statement. Certainly the high-ups know more than BG or CB, but I highly doubt we're dealing with the head of research or marketing here.

Don't you think RIM has BGR and CB held by their balls?! They can only show certain things... and they are all controlled tightly by RIM.
    Are you really so ignorant that you don't know the idea behind a blog?! People like BG and Kevin at CB post what they learn from insiders on their blogs; this is not an "official" article meant to be reproduced in a newspaper. Many at RIM probably couldn't care less about blogs, and even those that do would only respond to highly sensitive (read: true) information. But that doesn't prevent BG or CB from posting said information, if you haven't noticed. And once it's out there, there's nothing RIM can do.
    08-04-08 02:07 AM
    You say this sarcastically but there's a good deal of truth in your foolish statement. Certainly the high-ups know more than BG or CB, but I highly doubt we're dealing with the head of research or marketing here.

Are you really so ignorant that you don't know the idea behind a blog?! People like BG and Kevin at CB post what they learn from insiders on their blogs; this is not an "official" article meant to be reproduced in a newspaper. Many at RIM probably couldn't care less about blogs, and even those that do would only respond to highly sensitive (read: true) information. But that doesn't prevent BG or CB from posting said information, if you haven't noticed. And once it's out there, there's nothing RIM can do.
    Well, it looks to me like you doubted what Crucial said atleast in regards to the memory, and it turns out he was correct. Even the guys who were quoting the "Verizon insider" didn't even have the correct information.
    In regards to what is posted on BGR, he is wrong as much as he is right, maybe more.

In regards to this quote from you: " But that doesn't prevent BG or CB from posting said information, if you haven't noticed. And once it's out there, there's nothing RIM can do."

You are correct, they can say whatever they wish! They are NOT the ones who signed an NDA. This cannot be said for others. Think about that for a while.
    08-04-08 07:54 PM

I'm not going to stir "this" pot but only this last time. I just remember all the crap that was thrown my way when I said there were GSM models of this device. But now you see I was right....and I'm not even Kevin or BG.
    08-28-08 08:42 AM
    I'm not going to stir "this" pot but only this last time. I just remember all the crap that was thrown my way when I said there were GSM models of this device. But now you see I was right....and I'm not even Kevin or BG.

Hilarious, it's all over the net for a while that this device would be compatible with CDM and GSM.
    08-28-08 09:08 AM
    I don�t see the GSM confirmation as a confirmation that it will work on AT&T because they can leave out US GSM and have it be a world phone still. We still don�t know for sure what frequencies they will pack in it and different versions, that is not confirmed just because we have a box now?? Unless I am missing something. There may be other versions and it may not be exclusive...but where has this been confirmed by the source. Haven�t heard anything from RIM and VZW yet, not until the 10th I would think.
    Either I am in denial or all you GSM guys are just hopeful.
    Again, You may be right, just don�t see SOLID proof yet....we will see soon I suspect.

Dennis
    08-28-08 10:11 AM
    I don�t see the GSM confirmation as a confirmation that it will work on AT&T because they can leave out US GSM and have it be a world phone still. We still don�t know for sure what frequencies they will pack in it and different versions, that is not confirmed just because we have a box now?? Unless I am missing something. There may be other versions and it may not be exclusive...but where has this been confirmed by the source. Haven�t heard anything from RIM and VZW yet, not until the 10th I would think.
    Either I am in denial or all you GSM guys are just hopeful.
    Again, You may be right, just don�t see SOLID proof yet....we will see soon I suspect.

Dennis
    Let me explain this to you: The article says the 9500 is coming to ROGERS. Any device that will work on Rogers will work on AT&T. I don't understand what you're not getting about this. Plus, HSDPA & UMTS. So this isn't being "hopeful", this is fact.
    08-28-08 11:42 AM
    all i know is hopefully there is a gsm model, and if someone get some solid proof there is then please post so most of our minds can be at ease.
    09-10-08 11:33 AM
    I'm glad that it will be available on UMTS as well. I was afraid that it would only be HSDPA...
    09-10-08 07:07 PM
    Perhaps it has to do with my working with public or maybe it was something I was born with but I very quickly discerned who had some actual info and who was guessing. CX is quite legit. And calm and rational to boot. He does tend to leave some things open for interpretation but I'm sure that has to do with his NDAs. I'd he says there are GSM and CDMA versions, believe it. Now, to get an unlocked one for my TMO contract.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-10-08 07:41 PM
72 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD