This is getting annoying. Seems like Everytime I take the handset out of the holster to answer an call the accelerometer goes crazy and keeps on flipping back and forth between portait an landscape modes.

Seems as though the handset freezes between the two modes, and when ever i hit answer the call is lost (VZW replaced my 2nd handset as this was the cause of the defect), hen the operating system freezes, and I have no other choice but to do a soft reset (battery pull). I then cannot make a return phone call to the party that just got hung up on for another 5 minutes, which is how long it takes for the operating system to reboot.

Is there anyway to lock the accelerometer while holstering the handset to avoid losing important phone calls?
    12-24-08 03:39 PM
    i agree its ridiculous

phone ring should put it fixed into portrait mode
    12-24-08 03:42 PM
    When I first got my Storm, I tried answering calls by clicking the appropriate button on the screen. But it was like a game of whack-a-mole: I'd click the button, the screen would switch orientations and the button would move. I did this a few times before answering that first call. Since then I've been using the physical answer button.
    I've also noticed that when I place a call, the screen takes a few seconds to register that the call's happening, even though it is going through. Even when the number I'm calling has yet to appear on the screen (using speed dials), I put the phone to my ear and hear ringing already. I'm expecting RIM has some updates of the whole phone interface in the works (hopefully including screen locking during calls).
    Still loving my Storm all in all.
    12-24-08 03:47 PM
    Are you guys still on an old version of the OS, like .65? I had the same issue on that version, but the versions since have fixed that problem.
    12-24-08 03:50 PM
    To avoid this problem, I have forced myself to make it a habit to only use the green answer button on the phone itself. Problem cured!

The accellerometer (or whatever its called) is going to try to adjust the phone as you pick it up. I think its just doing what it is supposed to. I could be wrong, but using the green button on the phone resolves the problem.
    12-24-08 04:03 PM
    To avoid this problem, I have forced myself to make it a habit to only use the green answer button on the phone itself. Problem cured!

The accellerometer (or whatever its called) is going to try to adjust the phone as you pick it up. I think its just doing what it is supposed to. I could be wrong, but using the green button on the phone resolves the problem.
    Agreed. Just use the physical green button to answer.

However, I think the phone should lock in portrait mode when an incoming call comes in.
    12-24-08 04:05 PM
    Are you guys still on an old version of the OS, like .65? I had the same issue on that version, but the versions since have fixed that problem.
    Running 7.5. I really dislike using the green answer button to answer calls because I cannot answer the phone with one hand. This button is placed to low, and there is no center of gravity to keep the handset from slipping out of my hand. Which is why I use the push screen to answer calls. the answer button is higher up, and larger.
    12-24-08 04:57 PM
    It's bad enough that the accelerometer switches orientations, but the fact that the accept button turns into the reject button during the switch boggles my mind.
    12-24-08 06:05 PM
    PREACH IT!!!!

Incoming call from my friend last night and my phone is in landscape. my phone LITERALLY freezes up from this call and i couldnt even answer using the physical green button. after staring at it being frozen for a good 2 minutes, i had no choice but to do a battery pull. after my phone finally loaded up, I was able to call my friend back about 8 minutes after he called.

RIM.....this phone should be a PHONE first.
    12-24-08 06:13 PM
    PREACH IT!!!!

RIM.....this phone should be a PHONE first.
    I couldn't agree more.. i have learned to not trust the screen.. as when i hit the green answer button it instantly connects.. but screen takes a little bit just to see what side is up.. gotta be careful of what you are saying
    12-24-08 06:18 PM
    Green hard button ftw!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-24-08 07:02 PM
    Yeah I'm figuring the same thing out, PITA to answer on the screen, I'm just using the green button as well. I agree that locking portrait while in phone mode would be nice. Don't really need landscape mode.
    01-02-09 01:25 AM
    Upgraded to .85 and I can use both soft and hard key without a problem. Doesn't switch from landscape to portrait, just stays at portrait.
    01-02-09 01:27 AM
    Upgraded to .85 and I can use both soft and hard key without a problem. Doesn't switch from landscape to portrait, just stays at portrait.
    What magical version of .85 are you using? Because mine still switches, even though it's not as touchy as it used to be.

And I'll echo what everyone else is saying: LOCK IT TO PORTRAIT MODE WHEN THE PHONE IS RINGING!
    01-02-09 01:43 AM
    is there a 3rd party app. that could fix this problem? I'm new to the BB so im unsure myself, but I can see how this is a inconvience and easily irratable problem.
    01-02-09 02:18 AM
    There are still a lot or bugs with this phone. I think everyone has the same problems and nothing will be fixed
    until rim fixes it. I guess all we can do is bring up these issues and hope for the best.

01-02-09 02:22 AM
    I too have the problem with the screen switching with .85. Why can't RIM just have the default screen mode in portrait. I still have the problem with the phone sitting on my desk and it always goes to landscape view.
    01-02-09 02:28 AM
    yep i agree, as soon as the phone rings it should be forced to portrait. always.

actually, it should be forced to stay in portrait when locked too.
    01-02-09 02:47 AM
    That's so true to. I get so aggravated cause I actually turn it to whatever side to make it appropriate and it just spazes out. WTF is up with that

Thanks for telling me the green button works too lawl
    01-02-09 05:41 AM
    to echo point already made - cant count # of times I hit anser and it switches to ignore. gonna go with green button from now on. Also more so on this phone than my old dumbphone I can;t feel vibrating in pocket - a lot of missed calls and message alerts.
    01-02-09 12:51 PM
    Add me to the list! Portrait only during phone calls!

01-02-09 01:06 PM
    What i want to know is ... when i asked if everyone has a flawless device, i got 60 replies saying YES there is not a single thing wrong with their phones.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f86/how...device-125239/

I bring this up because many of these issues i was experiencing, i was led to believe i was the only one with them so i chased after replacement phones in hopes to get a fixed one.
    01-02-09 02:06 PM
    i agree its ridiculous

phone ring should put it fixed into portrait mode
    I am so sick of everyone requesting this or wishing for this. i really hope RIM does not make the change to have it lock in portrait mode when ringing.

I often get phone calls while my phone is in the dock at work. in that case, I appreciate the phone being in landscape mode while displaying the caller ID.

After .65 I have never had a problem answering the phone. I also use the green button to answer the call. Seems silly that everyone would prefer to get frustrated at the orientation and try to press the screen as opposed to just pressing the green button to answer the phone.

I'm likely in the minority, but I thought I'd say it anyway.

There are a lot of things that could be improved for better usability when it comes to the phone functions, but screen orientation really isn't that big of a deal to me.
    01-02-09 02:25 PM
    Running .75 and answer using the press button. No problems at all honestly.
    01-02-09 02:32 PM
    I answer all my calls with the green button on the phone. no reason to use the touch screen to answer. But that's me
    01-02-09 02:40 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD