I'll tell you this. All the bad reviews made the difference between me lining up tomorrow morning vs waiting it out. I'm waiting it out.
    I would have been waiting until later even if the reviews were great. That's just the way I am. I'm a fairly patient person, and I don't mind waiting for other people to be the testers.
    11-20-08 08:49 AM
    Everyone criticizing the lady for being less tech savy and trying to review a phone is not looking at this right.

She is one of the target demographics Verizon and RIM are shooting for. They WANT a more consumer friendly device to rival the iphone and it is not encouraging if the every day consumer find the device overly complex and not user friendly.

Options are great but even power users can get overwhelmed with options. Ease of use is an important factor for a phone.

Certainly all these poor reviews are making me question lining up tomorrow as well. Doesn't change the fact that I need a phone, and this one is still the 'best of' for Verizon. I can only get it and hope firmware updates take care of the sluggish menus and some of the bugs.
    you sir are correct. this phone was MADE to increase RIM's appeal to the iPhone demographic.

as with all the mostly **-hum reviews of the phone, I'll be holding off now instead of picking it up tomorrow.

even though it's going to be tough, I hope Kevin comes up with a straight forward review.

or just hold off until the At&t version with wifi comes out. (seriously Verizon, wtf)
    11-20-08 08:57 AM
    I see all of you guys points i really do, but for me I'll have to buy it to see for myself.
    11-20-08 09:08 AM
    TI'm sorry, but I think RIM is at fault here. They obviously released this phone too early. If the updated OS won't be ready until launch day, they never should have released an old, buggy OS to every review site on the internet.
    This may be true, but look at these forums from 2 weeks back when all of the speculation was taking place on when this phone would be released. It's VERY possible that the combined pressure of VZW, the holiday season, and those wanting the device helped in rushing this to market. Think of the outrage that would have happened if this would have been delayed even further into the season. This site is called CRACKberry.com, not VALIUMberry.com. We're all very passionate about the BB, so in RIM getting this out when they are isn't 100% a bad thing, is it?
    11-20-08 09:11 AM
    I am no fan of the iPhone, but to say it's for stupid people or non technical people is just another example of the huge assumptions so many people here are making.
    A co-worker of mine has an iPhone and he loves it. He is very technical and nowhere near stupid. He is a Unix administrator, working with AIX, Linux, and VMware. He's so intelligent (nerdy) that he even has VM's running at his house. The iPhone has a client for VMware.

You can put down the iPhone all you want, I do, but you can't make the general statement that all iPhone users are stupid or non technical.

Not to mention, has it dawned on anyone other than me that maybe the Storm just isn't what we all hoped it would be?
    My "sweeping" statement that "iPhones are for stupid people" is a generality. It's like saying that "everyone in the NBA is of African-American descent". It's not 100% true...there are some of us white folks in the NBA but, take a look at the roster...it's PREDOMINANTLY skewed in one direction. It's no different than this reviewer basically stating "I can't really figure this phone out so, you shouldn't buy it". She didn't say "It's not for me" or "Others might like it but, I didn't". Like so many other reviews out there, this is a cleverly disguised iPhone ad.

iPhones are made for, and marketed for, people who "want a simple phone that just works". Don't give me lots of crazy options that I don't know what they do. Just make it simple. My grandmother, or my 8 year old niece can use it. And that's just fine, if that's the market you're shooting for.

RIM/Verizon's shooting a little higher than that. I WANT a phone with options. I WANT a phone that does things I've never thought of may never even use. I WANT a phone that I'm still learning things about it a month after I bought it.

"Niche" doesn't mean that the device will only be used/purchased by a select minority of the general public. Toyota's Camry is a "niche" car. My mom's got one...it's her 6th Toyota Camry. It's perfect for her. Reliable and not overly complicated. And it's a GREAT car for what it is. But, I don't have one. I've got a convertible sports car...and I love it. It's got all kinds of tech gadgets and, two years into owning it, I still get a big grin on my face when I remotely drop the hard-top on it. I like gadgets. I like options. I like features. The fact that my mom can't figure out the navigation system in my car doesn't mean the car or the navigation system is bad. And it doesn't mean my mom is dumb. It means that this probably isn't the best car for her.

I might be wrong about this but, I don't remember seeing any literature from Verizon calling the Storm "The iPhone killer" or anything like that.

It's NOT the iPhone. If you LOVE the iPhone and NEED an iPhone, go to your nearest Apple store. They'll be happy to sell you one.

But, don't tell me I've got a crappy car because you don't know how to drive a stick...and don't feel like taking the time to learn.
    11-20-08 09:29 AM
    A poor review by a 90-year-old overweight woman with huge fingers who isn't even familiar with Blackberry software...

DOESN'T WORRY ME ONE BIT!
    11-20-08 09:35 AM
    Oh well, another bad review. Im still going to get my own hands on a Storm before deciding that its not the device for me.
    11-20-08 09:42 AM
    It looks like she's never used a BB before. I mean the majority of all of us on here are passionate about BB's we all know why we love BB's and not the iphone. A review of a product is good but should not hinder weather you buy the product or not. Unless all the reviews are bad which in the case of the Storm there nopt all bad. The Storm is a big step for RIM they never thought they would have to make a touch screen since they are known for there keyboards. I think every one should try it out for themselves and don't let someone tell you it sucks because for you it might work great.
    Last edited by cuban_dudeca; 11-20-08 at 09:45 AM.
    11-20-08 09:43 AM
    She quotes the price as $250 with a 2-year contract - which is incorrect. It's $199. She states later on in the review that "if you take advantage of a $50 mail-in rebate for the Storm, the two handsets will be at price parity, too".

Why would you NOT "take advantage" of the rebate. My wife would shoot me in the head if I skipped a $50 rebate just to save the price of a stamp...or to maybe make a political statement about the Civil Aviation Workers Union Local 302???

She failed to mention that those who bought the iPhone at launch got completely and utterly HOSED on price.

She mentions that on one side of the device is the "mini-USB" connector. It's a "Micro-USB"...yeah, there's a difference...they're not compatible...it's not the same thing.

She also commented, in the discussion of the browser, about "sites that identified the Storm as a mobile device". OK, she doesn't know how to use it. If you don't want a site to identify your browser as a mobile device, CHANGE THE BROWSER IDENTIFICATION...that's WHY it's an option. First thing I'm going to do, when I get mine, is to change the browser ID to "Internet Explorer". This is something I figured out on Day 1 of playing with the Storm Simulator. If you don't, the majority of web pages come up as "mobile" versions.

Clearly iPhones do have a niche...they're for stupid people...or non tech-savvy people who don't want to be bothered to read the manual, or to take the time to learn all the options a device is capable of.

The Click-Through technology is more complicated than your basic "touch" (a la iPhone). It's 2 distinct motions, not just one. While some people (like her) see this as a negative thing..making the device "overly complicated", I see it as a great thing...it gives you more options.

It's no different than saying an Apple mouse, with one button, is "better" than a PC mouse, with two buttons. The Apple mouse is "better" because it's simpler? I've got a friend who's got a mouse with like 20 buttons on it. And he's got them all set up to do keyboard macros. He FLIES on that thing; makes him so much more productive. This poor woman would have no idea what to do if you put that mouse in front of her, therefore it must be "inferior".

I also enjoyed the part where she actually mentions the iPhone dropping a call on AT&T!!! I've had a Verizon Treo for more than 2 years...I've had a grand total of like 3 dropped calls in that entire time.

Keep your iPhone lady...you're clearly too stupid or too old to learn how to use a device that's got some options.
    Niche, you must be kidding me. Apple has sold 10 million 3g iphones already in 2008 and by the end of the year could easily pass 15 million alone in 2008, not counting the first generation iphones. That is hardly a niche.

iphone users are "stupid." So because the lady and most of the other reviewers out there who have given this device a bad review, they are stupid. I don't even know what to say, but if it helps you sleep better at night.
    11-20-08 09:48 AM
    Niche, you must be kidding me. Apple has sold 10 million 3g iphones already in 2008 and by the end of the year could easily pass 15 million alone in 2008, not counting the first generation iphones. That is hardly a niche.
    "Niche" has nothing to do with the quantity, or even what percentage of marketshare any given product has.

I clearly stated.....
    "Niche" doesn't mean that the device will only be used/purchased by a select minority of the general public.
    And, just in case you don't believe me, you can look the word up at Dictionary.com. It states that "niche" is defined as "a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing: to find one's niche in the business world." It doesn't mean a minority place.

iphone users are "stupid." So because the lady and most of the other reviewers out there who have given this device a bad review, they are stupid. I don't even know what to say, but if it helps you sleep better at night.
    I do think that many iPhone users bought iPhones because they're "cool"...they're "hip". I honestly can't think of a dumber reason to buy a phone.

And, to be blunt, yes, I think the majority of people in this world are "stupid". This is why advertising works. I don't buy a particular brand of soda because of a clever ad campaign; I don't buy sneakers because a certain pro athlete wears them. I'm smarter than that. Considering how many people buy lousy-tasting soda and crappy, overpriced sneakers, the majority of the buying public clearly isn't as smart as I am.

I sleep better knowing that.
    11-20-08 10:22 AM
    11-20-08 10:24 AM
    I don't know if you read what he's complaining about. But it's stupid little things that noobs make. Like making mistakes by hittin gthe wrong entry. It's no different than the iPhone was when it came out.
    11-20-08 10:32 AM
    you're clearly too stupid or too old to learn how to use a device that's got some options.
    Hey, hold on that lady is a lot younger than me. err, what does that mean for me....
    11-20-08 10:36 AM
    This woman is a ****ing ******. She doesnt know how to use a Blackberry.
    11-20-08 10:42 AM
    The thing to do here is to IGNORE all the reviews and wait until the phone is released. At that point members here who have bought the phone will post and then we will know what the phone is really like.

I have just read an email (yes, even in my advanced and doddery state) that I cannot post because it is not mine to post where a user here that I respect very much has had a hands on with the STorm for an hour or so and this impression was that it is a very, very good device indeed but he did say that you had to work with it in the way it needed to be worked. The accelerometer wants to work in a certain way and the keyrate needs setting and so on.

I have to say that I hate having to say that I have seen an email that I cannot publish as it sounds like I am making stuff up.

Please believe me that it was an email that came to me over the CrackBerry Modnet and it would not be even reasonable to post it here.

My advise. Stop, if you can, speculating and reading crap reviews. Look instead at what you already know about BlackBerrys and ASSUME that RIM have got it pretty much right.

This is a new venture for RIM and there will be plenty of people who get their hands on this phone who just do not have a clue about it.

Also please be kind to little old ladys who happen to be editors of PC World.

The excitement and hype will make people jump up and down and say things that they do not mean. It will all be OK when the launch is all over and 50 members on Crackberry have their phones. Then we will truly know if it really is as good as we all hope and want it to be. It's the not knowing that gets to ya.
    11-20-08 10:48 AM
    This woman is a ****ing ******. She doesnt know how to use a Blackberry.
    Their really needs to be an age cut-off on these forums. Was this statement helpful at all ? Grow Up !!!!
    11-20-08 10:55 AM
    Their really needs to be an age cut-off on these forums. Was this statement helpful at all ? Grow Up !!!!
    I agree but, would that be an upper or lower age limit...? Be careful how you answer .
    11-20-08 10:59 AM
    Was yours helpful? Nope. And I believe my comment was 100% right. Did you watch the video? Probably not. She was saying the phone was bad, but she didnt even know how to use it! For example, she doesnt know how to input numbers in a Blackberry. That tells me that she shouldnt be doing this review. Do go around saying stupid things, Leo J.
    11-20-08 11:01 AM
    11-20-08 11:02 AM
    Well the video and the text said pretty much the same thing.

I agree that the reviewer di not know much about SmartPhones at all. Specifically she certainly knew very little about the particular BlackBerry. As I said in an earliry post in here, she was unable to make Num-Lock work.

However she reviewed the phone as she saw it and that should be respected. We have all seen real dumb users here in the forums. The pity here is that one of them got to review a new phone before it is released and given her position as a Senior editor of PC World, she should imo have taken the time to learn about the device she was reviewing.

If she could not take the time then she should ahve taked to someone who did know how to use it. She could easily have called Kevin or any of the Moderator team.

Either way, I felt that it was a very poor review even when I subtract the content. Frankly it is best forgotten.
    11-20-08 11:08 AM
    Well the video and the text said pretty much the same thing.

I agree that the reviewer di not know much about SmartPhones at all. Specifically she certainly knew very little about the particular BlackBerry. As I said in an earliry post in here, she was unable to make Num-Lock work.

However she reviewed the phone as she saw it and that should be respected. We have all seen real dumb users here in the forums. The pity here is that one of them got to review a new phone before it is released and given her position as a Senior editor of PC World, she should imo have taken the time to learn about the device she was reviewing.

If she could not take the time then she should ahve taked to someone who did know how to use it. She could easily have called Kevin or any of the Moderator team.

Either way, I felt that it was a very poor review even when I subtract the content. Frankly it is best forgotten.
    Whole-heartedly agreed.
    11-20-08 11:13 AM
    "Niche" has nothing to do with the quantity, or even what percentage of marketshare any given product has.

I clearly stated.....

And, just in case you don't believe me, you can look the word up at Dictionary.com. It states that "niche" is defined as "a place or position suitable or appropriate for a person or thing: to find one's niche in the business world." It doesn't mean a minority place.
    The Blackberry is also a niche. The iphone appeals to people, there is nothing wrong with that, doesn't make the person "stupid" as you put it.

I do think that many iPhone users bought iPhones because they're "cool"...they're "hip". I honestly can't think of a dumber reason to buy a phone.

And, to be blunt, yes, I think the majority of people in this world are "stupid". This is why advertising works. I don't buy a particular brand of soda because of a clever ad campaign; I don't buy sneakers because a certain pro athlete wears them. I'm smarter than that. Considering how many people buy lousy-tasting soda and crappy, overpriced sneakers, the majority of the buying public clearly isn't as smart as I am.

I sleep better knowing that.
    Bull. People aren't buying the iphone because it's cool and hip. People are buying them because they are great devices and studies show people are satisified with their iphones than any phone out there. What makes you better than anyone? Who cares what they choose to buy with their money. A lot of people choose to buy blackberries because their friends have one or they think they are cool, does that make them "stupid". It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it. Just don't go judging anyone.
    11-20-08 11:13 AM
    People buy phones and other things for a variety of reasons. The iPhone is not only a phone it is also a fashion accessory. Many people want it for tht reason alone.

I have a couple of friends who are near my age who want one becuase they think it will make them seem younger, more cool. Mind you, I had to set the thing up for them.

Saying that any phone is a niche market is true but so are many other things in life. The Blackberry is a niche and so is the iPod and the iPhone. I drive a BMW 7 series and I guess that it too is a niche market. We also have 2 cats and are the only ones in our street to have more than one. Is that a niche too?
    11-20-08 11:24 AM
    Was yours helpful? Nope. And I believe my comment was 100% right. Did you watch the video? Probably not. She was saying the phone was bad, but she didnt even know how to use it! For example, she doesnt know how to input numbers in a Blackberry. That tells me that she shouldnt be doing this review. Do go around saying stupid things, Leo J.
    Unfortunately mine was wasted replying to yours. Think about this what if that was your mother or another loved one what would your response be to a statement like yours ? The person your calling a ****** happens to be in a position your not and reviewing product you want.
    11-20-08 11:58 AM
    Okay, this has gone on long enough. Any more and I will close this thread.
    11-20-08 12:19 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD