I've noticed when I push my convenience key to activate voice dialing, the voice dial commands (IE: "Say a command")come out of the speaker in the back of storm. Before you ask- NO the phone is NOT on speaker phone. The phone accepts my commands and dials the number, and then the call comes through the handset like it should. Anyone else notice this?

ALSO one of my BIGGEST gripes.................................

Blue tooth is useless for voice commands...............the voice commands the phone gives (again the "Say a command") is so over modulated you cannot understand a word it says. That SUCKS!
    01-29-09 10:23 PM
    I don't know if that is a bug or not. Personally, I like that it comes on speaker phone, because I don't have to press the icon, then hurry the phone to my ear to know when it's ready.

(I don't have it as a convience key, I was hitting it too often on accident)
    01-29-09 10:31 PM
    If you want a better (and more understandeable) voice command with more functionality, try vlingo. When you press and hold the convenience key, a short chord plays and a visual queue that the program is listening is all that happens. and you can set replay and repeat command preferences in the program's options menus. also, you can speak your texts and emails, facebook statuses, and some others that i cannot remember right now.
    01-29-09 10:52 PM
    Although Vlingo does have a cool factor about it. It doesn't really seem ready for the 9530. It does run in compatibility mode but threw my device into reboot after a few mins of testing. That aside, it would be a great app if and when they support bluetooth for input.

Re: Voice Dialing ( Native that is)
    I've found that the application sometimes just sits there (picture deer in the headlights. The voice doesn't come on but the screen is there. I've started to see this happen more and more as I use Bluetooth. It failed prior but not nearly as much.

$.02 for the day.
    Last edited by ircactus; 01-30-09 at 01:39 AM. Reason: incomplete
    01-30-09 01:38 AM
    i'll deal with Vlingo's quirks.... because when the native voice dialing tries (poorly) to pronounce words, even if it has the right contact, you cannot tell by the audio alone.

Here is another experience i've had with Voice Dialing

"Say a command...."

"Call Joe"

"..... Say a comman..."

"CALL JOE"

"Sorry, no match found"

grrrrrrrrrrr...... restart

"Say a command"

"Call Joe"

"Did you say 'Call home'?"

"No"

"Did you say 'Call work phone'?"

"NO!"

"Did you say 'Call (inaudible)'?" (but "Joe" is highlighted)

"yes"

"which number?"

i could have manually dialed the number and had my conversation already!!!!!
    01-30-09 01:51 AM
    i'll deal with Vlingo's quirks.... because when the native voice dialing tries (poorly) to pronounce words, even if it has the right contact, you cannot tell by the audio alone.

Here is another experience i've had with Voice Dialing

"Say a command...."

"Call Joe"

"..... Say a comman..."

"CALL JOE"

"Sorry, no match found"

grrrrrrrrrrr...... restart

"Say a command"

"Call Joe"

"Did you say 'Call home'?"

"No"

"Did you say 'Call work phone'?"

"NO!"

"Did you say 'Call (inaudible)'?" (but "Joe" is highlighted)

"yes"

"which number?"

i could have manually dialed the number and had my conversation already!!!!!
    My last phone, a samsung U740 the voice dialing was crystal clear and pretty accurate. I would get what you described ONCE in a while, but most often it worked fine.
    01-30-09 01:56 AM
    I've seen it do that for sure. Not so much when I'm not using the headset. Regardless it should be addressed in some future release. Not like we can dial by feel on a storm.

Regarding Vlingo. I'll play around with it more tomorrow. Just too late to continue on tonight. My storm just doesn't seem to like compatibility mode very much.

Had similar problem with Microsoft Tag when I played with it.
    01-30-09 01:58 AM
    My experience has been about the same as discussed above. The speaker-to-phone transition works for me since I also don't like the thought of getting the phone to my ear quickly. Using my BlueAnt is okay but the Storm w/o using the B-Ant is more accurate (that's not saying much). It is something I'll patiently wait for a fix.
    01-30-09 02:14 AM
    Agreed - the native voice dialing is difficult to deal with. I use vlingo now and the experience is much better using voice dialing.
    01-30-09 08:45 AM
    The Voice Dialing always starts on the speakerphone (known issue) can't be changed.

Other than that it works great for me. Best one I've had on any phone so far. Make sure you customize your prompts to your liking.
    01-30-09 09:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD