First "crack" at a Blackberry or any smartphone for that matter. I am a bit overwhelmed, I guess. I have been checking out this forum and numerous reviews and it ended up between the Storm and the Omnia. Obvously the Storm won out for me. I have set up email, took some pictures, sent a couple emails, got Pandora up and running, transfered 1,039 songs over from my Ipod, did a system back-up (put it on my desktop) and downloaded the 4.7.0.148 to my desktop and trying to figure out why I need the .148 over the stock system. Also, I am trying to figure out how to install the .148. I read a number of How To's and I am still not sure what exactly to do as I am not a computer pro. I just seem to know enough to get things screwed up and I don't really want to screw up my new phone.
    I don't understand why pulling the battery gains memory (mine was at 19 and pulled the battery and it went to 38 after it rebooted. Does the .148 unlock the GPS?
    Any help, encouragement, etc is appreciated.
    Last edited by Jus Cruisin; 05-25-09 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Can't edit the heading to 9530 - should proof read
    05-25-09 07:37 PM
    I'll answer one and the rest will be answered by others I'm sure.
    The GPS isn't locked.
    Go to Options > Advanced Options > GPS
    and change GPS Services from "E911 only" to "Location On"
    05-25-09 07:46 PM
    pulling the battery doesnt gain memory. it resets the phone. every time you open a program a certain amount of app memory is used to open the app. if you dont close out the app correctly, then that amount of memory isnt re-allocated toward the opening of other apps and making the phone perform other functions. think ofit in terms of your pc..... every time you open a program, youneed to close it when youre done. if you just minimize the program to get it off your desktop then your still allocating that memory for the program, decreasing what you have available for opening and running other programs.
    to close a bb app.....
    while still in the app, press the BB key, scroll down and click on exit. in a perfect world that will reallocate your app memory to open other apps.
    05-25-09 07:47 PM
    To answer some of your questions...

-GPS has never been locked on the device. All 148 does is allows it to operate better.

-A battery pull basically reboots your device. Programs that are running can "leak" memory. When you restart the device, you recover this "leaked" memory.

-As far as updating the O.S, I will leave that to someone who can talk you through it better, as I know how to do it, But think the How-tos on this forum are pretty good and could not do better! =)

Hope I helped! Welcome to the forums!

-Bob

EDIT: I see some people posted while I was posting lol.
    05-25-09 07:49 PM
    As for updating to a new system as long as you follow the directions listed in the thread with the os u should be good lol

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 07:53 PM
    it really isnt that hard to upgrade your os. if you have the luxery of two computers then have the directions up on one computer and upgrade you os on the other. say like, if you have a PC then upgrade on that computer and if you have a MAC then view the directions on it(thats all a MAC is good for. Charging your ipod and viewing ****). sorry i had to get my daily MAC joke out of the way
    05-25-09 07:58 PM
    to install the os....
    the first thing to do, on your computer....
    install the 148 software to your pc.
    open my computer
    click on drive c
    click on program files
    click on common files
    click on research in motion
    click on app loader
    down near the bottom you should find a file called vendor. it will be in xml format. delete it.
    i recommend disconnecting your pc from the internet at this point, as do others.
    connect your phone via usb
    open your desktop manager.
    click on application loader.
    in the right pane click on update software.
    05-25-09 08:03 PM
    to install the os....
    the first thing to do, on your computer....
    install the 148 software to your pc.
    open my computer
    click on drive c
    click on program files
    click on common files
    click on research in motion
    click on app loader
    down near the bottom you should find a file called vendor. it will be in xml format. delete it.

i recommend disconnecting your pc from the internet at this point, as do others.
    connect your phone via usb
    open your desktop manager.
    click on application loader.
    in the right pane click on update software.
    This may be needed for some OS upgrades but this step is not necessary for .148 because it's a verizon leak to begin with. Save yourself a couple minutes. But, keep in mind you may need to do this step for some other OS upgrade in the future.
    05-25-09 09:05 PM
    I never disconnect my internet. Although many suggest it I don't and if u use apploader u shouldn't have to

05-25-09 09:18 PM
    This may be needed for some OS upgrades but this step is not necessary for .148 because it's a verizon leak to begin with. Save yourself a couple minutes. But, keep in mind you may need to do this step for some other OS upgrade in the future.
    I have a Verizon BB Storm and I have never deleted any of the vendor files before. Can you please tell me why you need to delete it? I haven't noticed any issues in my OS's by not deleting it.

Oh and all the OS's I have downloaded are in my signature, thanks.
    05-25-09 09:36 PM
    I have a Verizon BB Storm and I have never deleted any of the vendor files before. Can you please tell me why you need to delete it? I haven't noticed any issues in my OS's by not deleting it.

Oh and all the OS's I have downloaded are in my signature, thanks.
    If the OS leak is for VZW 9530, then there is no need to delete the vendor file. If you try to install a leaked OS that is intended for another vendor (Bell, Telus, whoever) then you will have to delete it in order to install it.

05-25-09 09:46 PM
    If the OS leak is for VZW 9530, then there is no need to delete the vendor file. If you try to install a leaked OS that is intended for another vendor (Bell, Telus, whoever) then you will have to delete it in order to install it.

sweet, thanks
    05-25-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks for the replys. I might get the courage up after work tonight and try to load the .148 OS I have saved on my desktop.
    Also thanks to the mod that fixed my typo!!

So let me get this straight in my mind. No need to delete the vendor with the .148? I downloaded it from Megadownload,
    05-26-09 05:05 AM
    Another thing.....Do not get excited if it appears to freeze during the install. It may take 20-40 mins. for it to complete. You will see the white screen with the clock for a long time. You might also see numerous restatrs. I suggest once you start the upload, walk away for an hour. I made the mistake once and unplugged my phone when I thought it froze and bricked it. No biggie, just had to re-load again.
    05-26-09 05:32 AM
    Thanks for the replys. I might get the courage up after work tonight and try to load the .148 OS I have saved on my desktop.
    Also thanks to the mod that fixed my typo!!

So let me get this straight in my mind. No need to delete the vendor with the .148? I downloaded it from Megadownload,
    No, no need to delete the vendor file. Lol sometimes I forget to remember that I'm on tmo and need to.

05-26-09 06:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD