I read on this forum that if you did a straight upgrade to .85 you wouldn't have to re-do an enterprise activation. I did it and now have to resent a request to my IT department to reset my account.

Anyone have different results with their BES activation?

Thanks!
    12-28-08 04:39 PM
    mine somehow automatically activated after. Of course I am IT so i didn't have to worry
    12-28-08 05:04 PM
    I was on BES before upgrading to .85. I was wondering of the reaction of my IT because I just got this phone activated last week.

After I upgraded to .85, I reinstalled the Desktop Manager(v4.7) with the option of 'Integrate with work email account'.

After I opened DM and connected the phone, it asked to enter the username/password to MS Outlook and retrieved the information of my Exchange Server.

The activation started on my phone and it completed without any issues.

Hope this helps.
    12-28-08 05:09 PM
    i just had to resend the activation password. Not a big deal for me because I am the BES admin, but if I had users doing this alot iI would be pissed.
    12-28-08 05:26 PM
    i just had to resend the activation password. Not a big deal for me because I am the BES admin, but if I had users doing this alot iI would be pissed.
    me too... luckily none of my users would have any idea of how to upgrade
    12-28-08 05:45 PM
    I too have been avoiding playing with all these new OS's because of the need to re-activate BES. When I did the .75 uprgade I had to ask my IT to send me another BES activation.

BUT when I did the .75 upgrade, I had DM installed on my home computer, which is not connected to my work network/vpn. I think from reading other threads that if you do the upgrade with DM installed a computer that's on your work network, then it will attempt to connect/authenticate with the BES sever or email server and not require a re-activation.

Echi / BBUser_9530 can you confirm if you did the upgrade with DM installed on a computer ON your work's network or VPN?

Thanks!
    12-28-08 05:52 PM
    I agree I would be upset as well. I can see it coming from the user's side as well but being in IT you have take care of alot of other people so unless your able to go without using your BlackBerry for work for a day or two. I wouldn't do it because its a huge pain in the rear having to fix other people's blatant mistakes. Blatant of course only if you knew it would reset your BES account
    12-28-08 06:00 PM
    So true LOL...
    12-28-08 06:00 PM
    Rufio, I updated the DM on my work laptop. It was connected to the internet. Not to the work network / VPN.
    12-28-08 07:34 PM

i think as bes admins we can block users from doing the upgrade.

and to the OP, if you update using dekstop manager on your work pc that is setup with your BES server, it will automatically re-activate.
    12-28-08 08:10 PM
    I just plugged into, connected to my work network, and ran a sync with DM. I upgrade and downgrade all the time. It works every time because you are authenticated, not your device.
    12-28-08 08:13 PM

and to the OP, if you update using dekstop manager on your work pc that is setup with your BES server, it will automatically re-activate.
    not if they wipe it first
    12-28-08 09:03 PM
    I didn't wipe mine and always have to re-activate after an upgrade. But I don't use my work PC. :-)
    12-28-08 09:07 PM

Ok when you say "on your work pc that is setup with my BES server" ... what does that mean?
    My work laptop has MS Outlook. Outlook is setup to point to my work's Exchange server (is BES and MS Exchange usually on the same server?). If I do the upgrade on this work laptop on my work's network, is this good enough to avoid BES re-activation?

Thanks for the help!
    12-28-08 10:12 PM
    In my experience, performing the upgrade with my 8830 connected by USB to my work laptop at work with the laptop connected to the work network was sufficient to avoid having to reactivate my BES. Performing the same upgrade with the same laptop at home, requires me to reactivate.
    12-28-08 10:33 PM
    Ok when you say "on your work pc that is setup with my BES server" ... what does that mean?
    My work laptop has MS Outlook. Outlook is setup to point to my work's Exchange server (is BES and MS Exchange usually on the same server?). If I do the upgrade on this work laptop on my work's network, is this good enough to avoid BES re-activation?

Thanks for the help!
    yes, the key issue is the laptop being on your works network (or being connected via vpn)

if you are on your work network, everything else you mentioned sounds like it will work.

you should not have to reactivate.

it only takes your admin 10 seconds to re-activate your phone, so worse case scenario. dont let them tell you its a big process, you click one button
    12-28-08 10:51 PM
    Hopefully this will put this one to rest...

If you have BES and are at home on a computer that has MS Outlook, Desktop Manager, and VPN access to work:

1.) Login through VPN
    2.) Setup an Outlook profile to your work email account
    3.) Setup Desktop Manager to see that Outlook profile (Options --> Profile Options --> Always use the profile <profilename>).
    4.) Close Desktop Manager
    5.) Install the .85 (or any for that matter) update on your computer.
    6.) Re-open Desktop Manager. If you have it setup right, you should notice a few things...

A. It may ask you to authenticate to your Exchange mailbox.
    B. Once authenticated, along the bottom, the Server status: should say "Online". Also, both the Device connected (PIN) and Active device (PIN) should match.
    C. Desktop Manager should detect the update and ask you if you want to install it.

7.) Once the update completes, uninstall the update using Add/Remove programs.

The above is the safest way to install these pre-release/beta/unofficial updates without annoying your IT department. I can't guarantee it will work, but it's been successful in all cases for me. Remember that it still requires activation with BES after the update completes, so you will need to wait 10-20 minutes to ensure all of your data has been synched with Exchange.
    12-28-08 10:52 PM
    Great summary Jefferysmills. Thanks for the detailed steps.
    12-28-08 11:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD