As a devout Palm OS afficianado, I am loving all the great new 21st century smartphone hardware but I am also growing uneasy about the OS limitations that seem to becoming the norm. Is completely open developer low level access to phone hardware becoming extinct? The new Palm WebOs won't have it at launch. The Blackberry Storm doesn't seem to have it either.

My Palm Treo is able to run emulator software that let's it play old Atari ST games. An app like that seems completely out of the question for the STorm, Iphone or Palm Pre. But what about Android? Is there hope there?
    02-14-09 10:36 AM
    I could see a Atari app for iPhone for sure. It might already be out.
    02-14-09 10:38 AM
    Why are you comparing two OSes (Android, WebOS)

with two phones (Storm, iPhone)?

If you meant to compare the OSes across all 4, it would be

the OS on the iPhone > Android > WebOS > the OS on the Storm
    02-14-09 12:00 PM
    Why are you comparing two OSes (Android, WebOS)

with two phones (Storm, iPhone)?

If you meant to compare the OSes across all 4, it would be

the OS on the iPhone > Android > WebOS > the OS on the Storm
    You get the idea. I didn't know what to call the Storm OS or the Iphone OS. Anyway my point is that Iphone OS and Storm OS seem to be pretty locked down and even WebOS until they decide to let developer's have deeper access to the hardware. I guess I should have included Windows Mobile in the comparison, but I don't know much about it. All I know is that my ancient Palm Garnet has apps that still run rings around most of the apps I've seen for the Storm.
    02-14-09 03:36 PM
    same with winmo.

problem with bb (the storm) is that you write apps in java, which runs in a virtual machine, which is not very low level as most people knpw.

its the sad reason we dont even have a task manager app.
    02-14-09 03:41 PM
    oops my bad

forgot windows

iphone os > android (only because google runs it) > webos (only because I haven't seen it yet, it's possible it's better than android) > storm's os > winmo (what a joke)
    02-14-09 04:29 PM
    I've seen some pretty sophisticated games for WinMO

10+ free Windows Mobile games - Mobile Minute - Download Squad

Can Iphone match these FREE games? Storm certainly can't.
    02-15-09 02:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD