So I get an email today saying that in order for Amazon to process my order, verizon would need a deposit and they cant do that online. So they have to cancel my order.

I am 18 with no credit (was using my debit card). Do you think if I used my mother's card the transaction will work.
    03-12-09 07:23 PM
    Enjoy getting arrested for identity theft and Credit Card Fraud!
    03-12-09 07:26 PM
    Not likely if it's in your name. They're checking into your credit history, not the history of the consumer whose name is on the credit card used to purchase the item; it's whoever's name the cell contract is going to be in.

It's common practice for utility companies to screen potential customers and I'm guessing that you're suffering from having no credit and they're requesting a deposit as a result.

At some point you're going to need to focus on building up a credit history - but a cellphone isn't the way to do it since they don't contribute to the national credit databases.

Easiest way to build credit is to get a small balance credit card (even a secured one) and use it each month and pay off most or all of the balance. Just use it for gas or something and discipline yourself to do that. If you are looking to get a car then having a parent co-sign on a car loan is another way to build credit.

It'll take time but the trick is to not overdo things and apply for everything under the sun.

Let us know how it goes.
    03-12-09 07:30 PM
    lol, so am I officially now going to have to physically go to a VZW store and buy the phone for 200 as opposed to the 100 amazon deal?
    03-12-09 07:38 PM
    lol, so am I officially now going to have to physically go to a VZW store and buy the phone for 200 as opposed to the 100 amazon deal?
    Quite possibly - but don't be shocked if they still ask for a deposit. Hopefully they won't though. Good luck
    03-12-09 07:42 PM
    What if his mom lets him? Wouldn't be identity theft moron. Some people are so ridiculous..

Anyway, it is based off of your Social Security Number, not the Credit Card. Sounds like you will need to get your parents to do it online for you to avoid the deposit pending they have good credit.

Hope that helps.

Jerry
    Last edited by StormChaser77; 03-12-09 at 08:02 PM.
    03-12-09 07:58 PM
    What if his mom lets him? Wouldn't be identity theft moron. Some people are so ridiculous..

Anyway, it is based off of your Social Security Number, not the Credit Card. Sounds like you will need to get your parents to do it online for you to avoid the deposit pending they have good credit.

Hope that helps.

Jerry
    Using someone else's information to open an account is Fraud if they don't give permission! If he wants his mom to open the account that's fine but he probably will have to go into a corp store.
    03-12-09 08:09 PM
    Again, get your parents to help you out or co-sign with you. Otherwise yes, you will need to go into the store.

By the way, welcome to the board.

As for Dolphin:
    Really? Maybe you didn't read my post thoroughly. It says, "What if his mom lets him." It also says, "Sounds like you will need to get your parents to do it for you online."

I am pretty sure the kid knows about the legalities of fraud and I am sure the kid was mearly seeking help with his founded problem. But nice of you to come in and just start blowing air out of your *** when you don't even know the whole story.

And if you were being sincere, what a way to come off to someone who is still fairly new to the board.
    03-12-09 08:20 PM
    Most cell phone companies run credit checks, and if you have a bad credit score or no credit history, they will require a deposit.

So to the OP: you will most likely have to pay a deposit no matter what if you want the account in your name.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-12-09 08:28 PM
    I feel quite proud this far that my posts are the only ones on the thread that haven't resulted in some sort of *****-fest 'course, this post will prolly change that
    03-12-09 08:37 PM
    The deposit isn't the problem, I mean I can pay it... but I thought getting the storm for only $100 was only available through Amazon. If im wrong tell me, thanks for all of you guys help.
    03-12-09 10:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD