Way to admit committing a felony!
    3 million miles with NWA, you are lucky I didn't catch you doing that.
    Wow, a felony. What were you going to do? Perhaps, call the cops and ask them to charge this man with being an ***? Give me a break.
    ~D
    02-07-09 08:24 PM
    I've always had pretty amazing phone/sms access on the Verizon network. Even before BB, on just regular phones (KRZR for example) I've been able to send/receive calls and messages from places I wouldn't have thought possible. I was on vacation in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, hiking out on the back trails 10 miles from nowhere and my ex-wife's calling to b*tch at me (LOL thanks for nothing VZ). BTW, anyone with AT&T could only get access at a few of the populated locations. They kept borrowing my phone to make calls.

Just wanted to share a new experience on my Storm and see if others have had the same type of things.

I just took a trip to Las Vegas over the Superbowl weekend. Flew out on United Airlines and went through the whole "turn of electronic devices" BS during take off. After we were allowed to turn them back on I decided to watch a movie I had on my Storm. Suddenly was getting pinged by email. Checked and sure as heck, just received email! Thought "No way" must have received before take off and just got notice. Went back to the movie and withing a couple of mins, got 2 more! What the heck, one was from my boss so figured I'd try a reply. It went through! Damn! And he replied back fine. So, tried an SMS to a buddy of mine, and received his response within a couple of minutes. Damn! What the ****, dialed his number and he answered! Damn! Told him I was calling from 30,000 feet on a flight to Las Vegas and he didn't believe me. I let him hear the engine roar, told him to check the time and I'd show him my itinerary when I got back. Sent him a pic msg that he texted that he received. Damn!

Anyway just interested if anyone else has any amazing stories of getting phone service where they didn't think they could.

BTW I noticed that on United they have the phones in the headrest of the seats in front of you that you can call on for like $6 a minute. And they were Verizon! Wonder now if every plane is just one big cell site to satalite link?!
    I am absolutely amazed at the number of people that feel rules don't apply to them and that they can do what ever they want. Cell phones are not allowed to be used (Radio on) during a flight because they might interfere with instruments and/or controls of an aircraft not because they will interfere with the instruments and/or controls. I would rather error on the side of safety and not allow cell phones to be used than to be the one where the phone was having a problem, interfered with an aircraft system that caused the aircraft to land in an other than optimum way! If I was on that aircraft and had seen you or anyone using the cell phone, I can guarantee you that you would have been reported to the flight crew. As an FYI interfering with a Flight Crew or the operation of an aircraft in flight is a felony. If you can't be without using your cell phone for the length of a flight ----DRIVE!!!
    Last edited by mpafr012; 02-07-09 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Typo
    02-07-09 08:35 PM
    As an FYI interfering with a Flight Crew or the operation of an aircraft in flight is a felony. If you can't be without using your cell phone for the length of a flight ----DRIVE!!!
    That is true. However, it is not going to be a felony just because they are on the phone. If they catch you using a phone they are going to ask you to stop talking and turn it off. If you refuse, and maybe poke the flight attendant in the eye, you are going to get charged with a felony. There's a difference there.
    ~D
    02-07-09 08:40 PM
    WOW...glad everyone doesn't decide to talk on their cellphone while in flight...think about the annoyance factor:
    The girl next to you is talking to her boyfriend and crying loudly because he just dumped her...the guy across the aisle is having an argument with his girlfriend about how she acted at the party last night...the woman in front of you is yelling at the Lands End Clothing order department because her order didn't arrive...whew...just think of the possibilities!
    02-07-09 08:46 PM
    02-07-09 08:50 PM
    WOW...glad everyone doesn't decide to talk on their cellphone while in flight...think about the annoyance factor:
    The girl next to you is talking to her boyfriend and crying loudly because he just dumped her...the guy across the aisle is having an argument with his girlfriend about how she acted at the party last night...the woman in front of you is yelling at the Lands End Clothing order department because her order didn't arrive...whew...just think of the possibilities!
    I think that should be extended to hospitals. When I worked at one it was sickening to listen to all the nurses make dates over the phone. Umm, hello??? The patients can hear you and they are sick enough already! On top of that I don't care if you make house calls!
    ~D
    02-07-09 08:53 PM
    That is true. However, it is not going to be a felony just because they are on the phone. If they catch you using a phone they are going to ask you to stop talking and turn it off. If you refuse, and maybe poke the flight attendant in the eye, you are going to get charged with a felony. There's a difference there.
    ~D
    To quote "or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection" failure to follow the directions of a crew member would put you in this position. Would it stick? I don't know. Does it matter, no. Should you be using your cell phone while the aircraft is in flight, No.
    02-07-09 09:30 PM
    A friend of mine was on a flight recently and the plane nearly crashed for reasons that were never explained to the passengers (it started diving and the captain warned everyone, in a shaky voice, to buckle up and the people in the exit rows to be ready to perform their duties, etc.). She used her Jesus Phone to send an SMS to her husband saying "In case anything happens, I love you". In that particular case, I let it go. Generally, I have to say that if you can't go a few hours without using your cell phone for the safety and peace of you and everyone around you, you have a problem.

... I think that's why some of us are here, though.
    02-07-09 10:04 PM
    There is no chance of a cell phone interfering with anything on an airplane other than the peace and quite other passengers should enjoy. This has been discussed in the news quite a lot and cell phone use has been allowed in Europe and some other overseas areas. It is the FAA with the support of cell service providers that is prohibiting the use and not for safety reasons.
    I know the MythBusters set up a Faraday cage and placed typical aircraft instruments inside it. The cell phones they used had a barely noticeable effect. Then they tried a grounded airplane, but didn't notice anything.
    Sadly, that's about as definitive as it gets. It's scientifically possible, so you can't say there's no chance, but it's such a tiny chance to have a barely noticeable effect that it really isn't worth worrying about.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 10:16 PM
    I like how the person was just trying to make a comment about how cool Verizon was that it worked on a plane, and the thread turned into a debate on if it is or is not legal to use a cell phone on a plane.

I was on a flight with Lufthansa before and I had my BB out and was checking our flight itinerary and e-mailing my contact in Germany. (This WAS after they said it was okay to turn electronic devices back on BTW) The flight attendant did not say anything about it, except that she loved my BB.
    02-08-09 12:23 AM
    I like how the person was just trying to make a comment about how cool Verizon was that it worked on a plane...
    That isn't the least bit impressive. Maybe if he said it worked on the International Space Station.
    02-08-09 10:00 AM
    That isn't the least bit impressive. Maybe if he said it worked on the International Space Station.
    LOL

10char
    02-08-09 10:09 AM
    The airlines are concerned about people using cell phones as detonators etc. As well as for the slight interference they may cause. One of those better safe than sorry type of things I suppose

02-08-09 10:22 AM
    The airlines are concerned about people using cell phones as detonators etc. As well as for the slight interference they may cause. One of those better safe than sorry type of things I suppose

If that were true they wouldn't let you carry phones on period.
    02-08-09 10:25 AM
    Interesting thread. My sisters ex boyfriend got caught texting in air by an airline attendant mid air. His trouble didnt end there though, because when they landed he was asked to remain seated and PHX Airport Police greeted him on the plane and gave him a real scare. He wasnt cited but they sure as **** made him just about take a dump in his pants. TSA, PD and airport officials all met up with him.
    02-08-09 10:27 AM
    Interesting thread. My sisters ex boyfriend got caught texting in air by an airline attendant mid air. His trouble didnt end there though, because when they landed he was asked to remain seated and PHX Airport Police greeted him on the plane and gave him a real scare. He wasnt cited but they sure as **** made him just about take a dump in his pants. TSA, PD and airport officials all met up with him.
    Interesting... I'm from Phoenix so I'm at that airport all the time and I'm always playing with my phone, and I've never been asked whether I'm using the radio.
    02-08-09 10:29 AM
    They can't really ban cell phones altogether too many people would complain. But there were a few articles written post 9/11 on the topic. Not the main reason but it does factor in.
    If that were true they wouldn't let you carry phones on period.
    02-08-09 10:30 AM
    I usually get great reception anywhere but my storm has been losing a lot of calls....
    02-08-09 10:30 AM
    They can't really ban cell phones altogether too many people would complain. But there were a few articles written post 9/11 on the topic. Not the main reason but it does factor in.

Well, in that case, I would think that having any phone out during the flight period ought to be prohibited so there'd be no argument over whether the radio was on.
    02-08-09 10:35 AM
    So much misinformation in this thread.

Sure there are rules and we should follow the rules. However sometimes the rules are outdated and have not been changed. In the past there was a fear with interference from Cell phones so they made some rules. Since then they haven't changed them because it would be annoying to have people talking on cell phones.

Seems 9/11 the guy on flight 93 used a cell phone to call his wife. He was a hero.

Anyway, I'm sure if you are discrete and not obnoxious no one will ever say anything. As soon as you start disturbing those around you it will become an issue.

A cell phone is not going to detonate a bomb nor will it interfere with the electronics on the plane. Cell phones do not emit a strong enough signal to accidentally detonate an electronic detonator either.

Tom
    02-08-09 10:58 AM
    The electronic components of an aircraft are shielded from interference. They do extensive TEMPEST and EMI testing on everything in an aircraft. A modern aircraft (anything that isn't a flying museum) will not have any issues with a cell phone.
    It boils down to the FCC not telling the FAA that the frequency that cell phones operate on won't interfere and the FAA not asking the FCC if cell phones interfere.
    02-08-09 01:12 PM
    To quote "or lessens the ability of that crew member to perform his/her duties is punishable under this subsection" failure to follow the directions of a crew member would put you in this position. Would it stick? I don't know. Does it matter, no. Should you be using your cell phone while the aircraft is in flight, No.
    So then you agree with me that simply using your cell phone is NOT a felony?
    ~D
    02-09-09 03:08 AM
    So much misinformation in this thread.
    A cell phone is not going to detonate a bomb nor will it interfere with the electronics on the plane. Cell phones do not emit a strong enough signal to accidentally detonate an electronic detonator either.
    it will if said bomb is in the luggage bay and you use a cell phone to detonate it. IED anybody?!

either way... as is pretty much the consensus here, newer phones should not affect the planes in any noticeable way. but how many times have you been annoyed at some *** in front of you in line because they won't shutup around other people, like we care what is happening in their life. now imagine being stuck next to said *** for hours on a flight...
    02-09-09 04:19 AM
    it will if said bomb is in the luggage bay and you use a cell phone to detonate it. IED anybody?!

either way... as is pretty much the consensus here, newer phones should not affect the planes in any noticeable way. but how many times have you been annoyed at some *** in front of you in line because they won't shutup around other people, like we care what is happening in their life. now imagine being stuck next to said *** for hours on a flight...
    +11tybillion

A friend of mine was on a flight recently and the plane nearly crashed for reasons that were never explained to the passengers (it started diving and the captain warned everyone, in a shaky voice, to buckle up and the people in the exit rows to be ready to perform their duties, etc.). She used her Jesus Phone to send an SMS to her husband saying "In case anything happens, I love you". In that particular case, I let it go. Generally, I have to say that if you can't go a few hours without using your cell phone for the safety and peace of you and everyone around you, you have a problem.

... I think that's why some of us are here, though.
    As a pilot I would like to know more about this. PM me flight details.

They have no reason to cite him. Was he brown? Unfortunately, that will make a difference in how you are treated.

~D
    02-09-09 04:42 AM
    Way to admit committing a felony!
    3 million miles with NWA, you are lucky I didnt catch you doing that.
    Hey, "electronic devices" were off when they said they had to be. When informed that ok to turn them on, I did. Guy in the seat next to me brought out his laptop, I brought out my Storm. If the Pilot and Sky Sluts tell me electronic devices are OK, how is that a felony?

Not illegal, so F.O with your 3 mil miles.
    02-09-09 07:56 AM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD