I've always had pretty amazing phone/sms access on the Verizon network. Even before BB, on just regular phones (KRZR for example) I've been able to send/receive calls and messages from places I wouldn't have thought possible. I was on vacation in Yellowstone Nat'l Park, hiking out on the back trails 10 miles from nowhere and my ex-wife's calling to b*tch at me (LOL thanks for nothing VZ). BTW, anyone with AT&T could only get access at a few of the populated locations. They kept borrowing my phone to make calls.

Just wanted to share a new experience on my Storm and see if others have had the same type of things.

I just took a trip to Las Vegas over the Superbowl weekend. Flew out on United Airlines and went through the whole "turn of electronic devices" BS during take off. After we were allowed to turn them back on I decided to watch a movie I had on my Storm. Suddenly was getting pinged by email. Checked and sure as heck, just received email! Thought "No way" must have received before take off and just got notice. Went back to the movie and withing a couple of mins, got 2 more! What the heck, one was from my boss so figured I'd try a reply. It went through! Damn! And he replied back fine. So, tried an SMS to a buddy of mine, and received his response within a couple of minutes. Damn! What the ****, dialed his number and he answered! Damn! Told him I was calling from 30,000 feet on a flight to Las Vegas and he didn't believe me. I let him hear the engine roar, told him to check the time and I'd show him my itinerary when I got back. Sent him a pic msg that he texted that he received. Damn!

Anyway just interested if anyone else has any amazing stories of getting phone service where they didn't think they could.

BTW I noticed that on United they have the phones in the headrest of the seats in front of you that you can call on for like $6 a minute. And they were Verizon! Wonder now if every plane is just one big cell site to satalite link?!
    02-07-09 09:59 AM
    Like the advertisement. The Largest Network

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 05:20 PM
    So the whole using your cell phone or anything that has a signal doesn't ruin the planes signals?
    02-07-09 05:27 PM
    Yeah, a cell phone won't crash a plane, despite what they tell you.

02-07-09 05:51 PM
    So the whole using your cell phone or anything that has a signal doesn't ruin the planes signals?
    I'm pretty sure they just want electronic equipment off on take off and landing when they are in constant contact with the tower, just to make sure there is no radio interference.
    02-07-09 05:54 PM
    Well and if you turn the signal off during take off and landing that's the important part, really. I always do as they say but realistically? Eh.
    02-07-09 05:55 PM
    Wow that's awesome!

02-07-09 06:06 PM
    Realistically, it's doubtful that a cellphone can bring down a plane, but look at it this way, is your phone call or SMS message so important that you risk the safety of over a hundred other people? I fly over 100,000 miles a year and I obey the rules and since flying is pretty much an all or nothing proposition, I think everyone else should as well. If you think you are THAT important, I promise you are not........
    02-07-09 06:09 PM
    The phones needed to be off in the past before the digital age, b/c your one phone was blocking one entire channel across many cell sites at once.

Getting a signal that high is not a big deal, b/c you have a great line of site to a lot of towers.
    02-07-09 06:11 PM

BTW I noticed that on United they have the phones in the headrest of the seats in front of you that you can call on for like $6 a minute. And they were Verizon! Wonder now if every plane is just one big cell site to satalite link?!
    Yeah, it's not just the Storm sir! All cells i've had with VZW have gotten perfect reception from the air! My Curve is no exception!
    02-07-09 06:13 PM
    I had an 8830 before the Storm and last month I flew from Baltimore to Raleigh and had no reception once we were in the air. I didn't turn my phone off on the plane, it still took off and landed just fine.
    02-07-09 06:19 PM
    It has a chance to interfere with the airplane's instruments, but the chance and effect are negligible. Obviously, though, they rise with every cellphone that is running. We're also talking instruments like compasses and whatnot.. a cellphone signal isn't going to make the plane explode. Pilots can fly without instruments; the FAA just wants to make things as safe as possible, and since the airlines have to go with it anyway they don't mind making insane profits on in-flight calls.
    02-07-09 06:27 PM
    I had my 8130 with me from Providence to Raleigh and got no signal at all when I was in the air. Strange.

Bob
    02-07-09 06:30 PM
    Way to admit committing a felony!
    3 million miles with NWA, you are lucky I didnt catch you doing that.
    02-07-09 06:33 PM
    You can get reception in the air because 30,000 feet really isn't that far. You were only roughly 6 miles above the ground (our cell phones connect to towers much farther than that on the ground all the time). By the way, when they said you can turn electronic devices back on, they meant with the radio off (as in "airplane mode" by disabling all wireless communication).
    02-07-09 06:37 PM
    The Verizon phones on all united planes are disconected.
    02-07-09 06:39 PM
    If there was even a tiny chance that a cell phone could bring down a plane then cell phones wouldn't be allowed on planes.
    02-07-09 06:41 PM
    I'm shaking in my boots over here...
    02-07-09 06:41 PM
    If there was even a tiny chance that a cell phone could bring down a plane then cell phones wouldn't be allowed on planes.
    The next thing you know terrorists will bring a bag full of cell phones onto a plane and threaten to turn them on if their demands aren't met
    02-07-09 06:42 PM
    Oh come on the reason they don't want cell phones on during the duration of the flight has to deal with object flying through the cabin. once you are up there the pilot has a better idea what the air is going to be like and instructs you accordingly.

If you had caught this person with their cell phone on what would you have done? no peanuts?
    02-07-09 06:47 PM
    Oh come on the reason they don't want cell phones on during the duration of the flight has to deal with object flying through the cabin. once you are up there the pilot has a better idea what the air is going to be like and instructs you accordingly.

If you had caught this person with their cell phone on what would you have done? no peanuts?
    How about being banned from flying on said airline. I just don't understand it, just because a cell phone won't bring down the plane doesn't give anyone the right to violate the rules set aside by the airline when you are flying. If a person disagrees with these rules, then Greyhound would love your business. As much as I fly, I love the fact that in the air is one of the few places where I don't have to deal with phone calls, email, whatever.
    02-07-09 07:09 PM
    I say use have some fun..
    02-07-09 07:31 PM
    That's awesome. Wish ATT was that good.

02-07-09 07:46 PM
    Some flights absolutely have cell service. On the way home from Jamaica I had service for about three scattered hours.

02-07-09 07:52 PM
    It has a chance to interfere with the airplane's instruments, but the chance and effect are negligible. Obviously, though, they rise with every cellphone that is running. We're also talking instruments like compasses and whatnot.. a cellphone signal isn't going to make the plane explode. Pilots can fly without instruments; the FAA just wants to make things as safe as possible, and since the airlines have to go with it anyway they don't mind making insane profits on in-flight calls.
    There is no chance of a cell phone interfering with anything on an airplane other than the peace and quite other passengers should enjoy. This has been discussed in the news quite a lot and cell phone use has been allowed in Europe and some other overseas areas. It is the FAA with the support of cell service providers that is prohibiting the use and not for safety reasons.
    02-07-09 08:15 PM
68 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD