05-28-10 09:18 AM
37 12
tools
    OK! I don't know if this is thread worthy but I wanted to share that I have been a storm 2 user since I picked it up on the first day in Nov. Overall, I've been supportive of the device despite some inconsistancies and annoyances in the clicking, particularly in the lower buttons.

Once the hardware revision came out, I tried to get a replacement to see if the flat stalled clicking at the lower end would be fixed and without luck, I sent the replacement back. A few days ago, my original device was so frustrating (hard call button and inconsistant click on different screens) that I said, what the heck, let me try again! I also figured that now that the new revision has been in circulation for some time now, I may just get the "good" device.

I did and I am truly amazed! TRULY!!! Its like I have a brand new phone! Its such a soft click, almost too soft! The call/end buttons are as bouncy as I ever seen them, whether the phone is flat or not!

So... I dont know why my 1st replacement with the reengineered screen couldnt click well on the bottom as my original device as well, or if the problem was with the OS (1st replacement was preloaded with .320 while 2and was .607), but I just want to let all those frustrated users who are in essence "just dealing" that the replacement is worth the headaches!!! Its not only a better click, theres also less lag and a snappier overall performance. Theres also ZERO inconsistancies regardless of the screen (e.g. password screens verses phone dialer screens).

Also, it was in a brown box verses a white box so I'm assuming I may have gotten a new device??? Not sure, but either way, I'm a very happy customer! Verizon and RIM just scored a few browny points lol
    05-13-10 07:22 AM
    Yeah the the actuators the put under the screen make a WORLD of difference. I too am much happier with my Storm2.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-10 07:43 AM
    Amazing how awesome the S2 is when it's functioning at full capacity! Good stuff.
    05-13-10 08:26 AM
    OK! I don't know if this is thread worthy but I wanted to share that I have been a storm 2 user since I picked it up on the first day in Nov. Overall, I've been supportive of the device despite some inconsistancies and annoyances in the clicking, particularly in the lower buttons.

Once the hardware revision came out, I tried to get a replacement to see if the flat stalled clicking at the lower end would be fixed and without luck, I sent the replacement back. A few days ago, my original device was so frustrating (hard call button and inconsistant click on different screens) that I said, what the heck, let me try again! I also figured that now that the new revision has been in circulation for some time now, I may just get the "good" device.

I did and I am truly amazed! TRULY!!! Its like I have a brand new phone! Its such a soft click, almost too soft! The call/end buttons are as bouncy as I ever seen them, whether the phone is flat or not!

So... I dont know why my 1st replacement with the reengineered screen couldnt click well on the bottom as my original device as well, or if the problem was with the OS (1st replacement was preloaded with .320 while 2and was .607), but I just want to let all those frustrated users who are in essence "just dealing" that the replacement is worth the headaches!!! Its not only a better click, theres also less lag and a snappier overall performance. Theres also ZERO inconsistancies regardless of the screen (e.g. password screens verses phone dialer screens).

Also, it was in a brown box verses a white box so I'm assuming I may have gotten a new device??? Not sure, but either way, I'm a very happy customer! Verizon and RIM just scored a few browny points lol
    To see if the device is new just type buyr in landscape mode in options>status. The total data and voice usage will appear
    05-13-10 08:46 AM
    data usage: 48450.1k
    voice usage: 16:38

I been playing with it a lot yesterday and this morning so I think it looks like a new device
    05-13-10 09:02 AM
    Yeah that's a new one. Good for you for sending it back and following up.
    05-13-10 10:16 AM
    Thanks very much for the "buyr" tip!
    05-13-10 10:28 AM
    Thanks very much for the "buyr" tip!
    Yeah, thanks! That is way cool!!
    05-13-10 10:49 AM
    Ricanmedic: So you did yours via mail? Did you also buy your original via mail (rather than store)?

I thought I was o.k. but I'm having a lot of issues with dumping BBMs and GoogleTalk messages, and spaces not registering as spaces, text messages "dumping" me out and then I have to go back in and open the draft to finish. Sometimes when I click the bottom of the screen it's a double click.

I made some adjustments in my screen settings and all seemed well for a bit, but now I'm back to having trouble and frankly, I hate using my phone when my stuff gets dumped so I'm using it less and less and getting more frustrated.

I'm just wondering if I bought in store will they make me go back to the store. I'd rather have one shipped to me and transfer over my stuff with both phones in my possession, than have to go to the store and turn one in and get another.
    05-13-10 01:06 PM
    I picked up my Storm2 in January. I haven't noticed any issues with the click screen response. Would be interested to compare the new model with actuators to see if the response is even better yet. Guess I was one of the lucky ones to get a quality unit from the older stock

I don't want to chance pulling another device as this one is running VERY well, just clicked over 11 days since last reboot (which was done then only to install a new app). Response is still very good, even after 11 days.
    05-13-10 01:21 PM
    Hey...Im actually buying a second hand Storm 2 from a guy that says that he's been using it for 2 days but went back to his bold...is there anything I should look for apart from the ESN?
    05-13-10 01:25 PM
    Actually gonna see if I have the same luck. Been having an occasional sticking issue with the bottom row.. nothing game stopping, but it's been very annoying.

She said she knew of the issue, asked for a manufacturer date. Once I gave it to her, she seemed a bit shocked. She started asking about a few other issues I've been having, but haven't reported.

1.) Reboot when just BARELY jostled.
    2.) Occasional lack of clicking
    3.) lack of response on the screen when navigating via swipe.
    4.) dust issues under glass

She said she can't confirm that anything other than the actuators were changed, but said they've found a large number of first production run storm 2s (like mine, apparently) seem to suffer from the above 4 issues more-so than any other versions. Said the one thing they've seen so far, is that apparently the 'seal' around the glass was changed a bit too, apparently the newer models have a slightly different seal.

Dunno the truth to it, but she started rambling on the viscosity of the adhesive of the seals.. and in my experience, most people can't just pull terms like that just outta their... ahem... The fact that she knew the 4 'big' (minor, really) annoyances just kind of sealed it for me.

Will find out either tomorrow or Monday (really close to one of their distribution centers..) if there's any truth to it all.

Anyone else seen anything like the above?

Oh, and for the record, the manufacture date mine shows is:

AB9 'Made in CANADA 1'
    05-13-10 03:52 PM
    It's been exactly a month since I got my Storm2. I've been noticing the screen issue more and more. It seems my handset was made in Dec. 09. Are the replacements by eligibility? Or is it by purchasing a new handset?
    Last edited by curve014; 05-13-10 at 05:01 PM.
    05-13-10 04:58 PM
    Thanks for the buyr tip ... it helped ease my mind.

Data Usage: 20450.2k
    Voice Usage: 3:32.48

Thanks a million!!!
    05-13-10 06:58 PM
    I couldn't find this anywhere; but is there now also a replacement for the 9520 Storm2?
    05-13-10 07:08 PM
    i just received my replacement yesterday and i think i got a dud. the screen feels very stiff from the first one. and by the bottom right corner by the back button. it kind of double clicks a little. was that the problem people were having before? and thats why they did the recall?
    05-13-10 08:11 PM
    It's been exactly a month since I got my Storm2. I've been noticing the screen issue more and more. It seems my handset was made in Dec. 09. Are the replacements by eligibility? Or is it by purchasing a new handset?
    if you bought your S2 through verizon, then you can do a warranty replacement for up to 1 year, free of charge, especially for the issue of sticking lower keys. Since the S2 came out in Nov., all devices are still under warranty so you should be good to go.... so long as you bought it through verizon of course
    05-13-10 08:49 PM
    i just received my replacement yesterday and i think i got a dud. the screen feels very stiff from the first one. and by the bottom right corner by the back button. it kind of double clicks a little. was that the problem people were having before? and thats why they did the recall?
    sounds like a dud. Cause when I received my replacement, the soft and springy rebound was apparent right away! And I never knew the bottom keys could be so poppy like it felt when pressing down. send yours back right away and ask for another. Its frustrating but trust, you will find the perfect one and when you do, it will be sooo worth it! I'm in love with this thing all over again!
    05-13-10 08:53 PM
    Ricanmedic: So you did yours via mail? Did you also buy your original via mail (rather than store)?

I thought I was o.k. but I'm having a lot of issues with dumping BBMs and GoogleTalk messages, and spaces not registering as spaces, text messages "dumping" me out and then I have to go back in and open the draft to finish. Sometimes when I click the bottom of the screen it's a double click.

I made some adjustments in my screen settings and all seemed well for a bit, but now I'm back to having trouble and frankly, I hate using my phone when my stuff gets dumped so I'm using it less and less and getting more frustrated.

I'm just wondering if I bought in store will they make me go back to the store. I'd rather have one shipped to me and transfer over my stuff with both phones in my possession, than have to go to the store and turn one in and get another.
    sounds like a strange software issue. If a battery pull doesnt fix it and your not maxed out on memory, ship it back. In any case, I bought by first S2 through verizons 611. And when I did the warranty replacement, I also did it through 611.
    05-13-10 08:55 PM
    Ricon. I have an almost identical story. Mine was for a busted ear piece though. Sooo sensitive now. Question for is, do ur bottom buttons sound the same as the rest of the screen? Mine sound different. Sort of hollow.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    05-13-10 11:13 PM
    Ricon. I have an almost identical story. Mine was for a busted ear piece though. Sooo sensitive now. Question for is, do ur bottom buttons sound the same as the rest of the screen? Mine sound different. Sort of hollow.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab
    Mine is exactly the same. Almost feels like they added super soft rebounding springs underneath the screen top and bottom.

05-14-10 06:59 AM
    It could also be the fact that my replacement was a new device. I wonder if that is the reason it feels so perfect. Also, I looked for a sticker saying Canada or Mexico and there was none.

05-14-10 07:12 AM
    Alright, just ordered my replacement through Verizon... Should be here mid-next week. We'll see how it goes!
    05-14-10 09:34 AM
    I had bought a S2 used and had an earpiece issue. Went to get a replacement through Insurance and it is in excellent condition!!!
    05-14-10 12:58 PM
    Alright, so I've been using my replacement device for a few days now... The screen, at first, felt light and bouncy - which was great. Now, it's not - back to double clicks, slight tough to press, etc. I might just settle for now, not sure.

How is everyone else's holding up? Advice/suggestions/feedback? Thanks in advance.
    05-23-10 12:01 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD