I noticed the other night is that the Alltel commercial with the four guys representing the four carries doesn't show the VZW guy anymore.
    Last edited by stevcha; 04-12-09 at 01:30 PM.
    01-30-09 11:56 AM
    Why wouldn't they?
    They won't be taking over everything. They are required to sell off a certain amount.

More details here: news.vzw.com/news/2009/01/pr2009-01-09.html
    01-30-09 12:07 PM
    One thing my wife and I noticed the other night is that the Alltel commercial with the four guys representing the four carries doesn't show the VZW guy anymore.
    I just noticed that with the newest commercial where the garbage guy is dumping their car. Only three of them left...
    01-30-09 12:12 PM
    a good freind of mine moved to pringfeild massori and i was talking to him about wireless coveradge out there and he said that verizion has only been out there about a year or so now and untill then it was alittle known company called alltel who controled most of that area along with att but alltels coverage was much better.

hee moved out there right around the time alltel gaind ground in the North East
    01-30-09 12:15 PM
    One thing my wife and I noticed the other night is that the Alltel commercial with the four guys representing the four carries doesn't show the VZW guy anymore.
    I noticed that too... I was specifically looking for the VZW goober.
    01-30-09 12:21 PM
    Storm is a great device. But I really hope Verizon swings over to the bright future which is LTE (GSM 4G speed). CDMA vs. GSM has always been a huge debate and both technologies do just fine.
    LTE is also CDMA also the spectrum that verizon bought is faster than att spectrum that is why att is bragging about having 100kbps faster service than verizon right now.
    01-30-09 12:25 PM
    I quote my bank's website (Washinton Mutual)

Of course the word 'great' is subject to interpretation. Usually these type of moves mean absolutely nothing to the end customer until the transition is final. Slowly, you'll see the letterhead change on your bills. Gradually, you'll see policy changing to dovetail with the owning company's policy.

The last thing we usually see are any negative rate changes. Any positive ones will usually go in force as quickly as possible to give the customers a sense that they benefited from the takeover. Negative ones are held off in the hope that the new customer base grows attached to the new policies
    Until we close the 400 branches we mentioned.....The alltel merger will change nothing.
    01-30-09 01:27 PM
    LTE is also CDMA also the spectrum that verizon bought is faster than att spectrum that is why att is bragging about having 100kbps faster service than verizon right now.
    That's not what I've found in my research. LTE is the 4th generation of GSM tech.

LTE is a very good thing for Verizon subscribers. Once all the countries that are GSM now migrate to 4G, it will be much easier for verizon customers to get the cool phones some of us crave.
    01-30-09 03:25 PM
    Alltel leases most of it's network from Verizon anyway, there wont be many towers to take over.

up by my cabin where my cousins get almost full service with all tel im stuck with roaming on my storm... thats why i was curious
    01-30-09 03:33 PM
    i dont know anything about LTE but maybe its possible to still have 1x cdma voice service and 4G LTE data service?
    01-30-09 03:41 PM
    Have you noticed that Verizon doesn't have the "In calling plan" anymore. Now it's referred to as Mobile to mobile. That came about when they took over Alltel.

George
    01-30-09 04:23 PM
    O.K....I have a question...When I first got my cell phone appx 14 years ago it was with 360 communications....they were bought by someone else(don't remember the name), who were bought by alltel, who were bought by verizon...but they were bought by verizon in my area about 10 years ago, so was alltel split up, and verizon bought half before, and are buying the rest now?? I'm kinda confused.
    360 Communications used to be Sprint Cellular. Way back in the day (when you could barely get analog service) the FCC didn't allow a company to have CDMA and PCS licenses (don't know what the rules are now).

Sprint really wanted to break into the PCS market (because it was supposed to be the next big thing and everyone sold digital short), so, they did a spin-off of their CDMA interests into the company that was 360 Communications.

Of course Sprint had brand recognition on their side, which is why they wanted to keep the Sprint name and became Sprint PCS. In my area 360 Communications was only in existence for maybe a couple of years before it was bought out by Alltel. Maybe in the area that you live in there was a conflict between Alltel and 360 Communications that caused them to have to sell that area to another company.

It's weird that in the end a company becomes exactly what it wants to be. When you look at the break-up of Ma Bell and how AT&T wanted to break into the cellular industry, but couldn't because it would create a monopoly, but in the end wound up merging with Cingular and now it's AT&T again. Absolute genius.

There were always rumours that Verizon wanted to have "B" side all up and down the east coast but back in the day if you had a landline presence in the same area where you had cellular licenses you were "B" and if you didn't have landline presence you were "A". I don't know if that makes a difference anymore because now devices automatically switch between A/B......

But anywho, just a quick trip down memory lane. Those were the days.
    01-30-09 05:41 PM
    ALLTEL is a CDMA carrier. The transition into Verizon will not be very long, or difficult. Some ALLTEL or VZW markets will be divested where the overlap causes anti-trust concerns.

It's not VZWs first, they've bought Rural Cellular and other smaller regional carriers in the past.
    alltel also owns a small reigon of GSM network where its just their towers, so that will be used for roaming agreements for GSM carriers, but also some of their CDMA towers will fill in void spots or weak spots in some locations as well. i think their main motivation was customer base.

off topic: VZW might be stingy, but their two priority focuses are to increase share value (privately shared stocks, so the investors are all about the $$$$) and to invest in the network (all that money you spend goes into getting you badass network coverage and sweet phones to run on it). so say what you want about cost, you get what you pay for people.
    01-30-09 06:41 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD