I'm a long time TREO 700p user who is coming over to the Storm and have a few questions.

- What features/functions do you find better about the Storm over the 700p? (Please exclude all crashing issues and keep this discussion strictly function based)

- What do you miss most about your 700p when using the Storm?

- From typing on your 700p for so long and being able to type VERY fast (i'm assuming because I can) at what % of that speed do you have now on your storm? EX: Do you feel you type just as fast (100%) or 50% of your 700p speed, etc?3

- It is VERY easy to copy and paste text with the 700p I find this hard to do with the Storm, does it get easier over time or still painful?

I will post more when I think of them, I just wanted to get this one started. Thank you in advance for your contributions.
    02-11-09 10:44 AM
    I'm a long time TREO 700p user who is coming over to the Storm and have a few questions.

- What features/functions do you find better about the Storm over the 700p? (Please exclude all crashing issues and keep this discussion strictly function based)

- What do you miss most about your 700p when using the Storm?

- From typing on your 700p for so long and being able to type VERY fast (i'm assuming because I can) at what % of that speed do you have now on your storm? EX: Do you feel you type just as fast (100%) or 50% of your 700p speed, etc?3

- It is VERY easy to copy and paste text with the 700p I find this hard to do with the Storm, does it get easier over time or still painful?

I will post more when I think of them, I just wanted to get this one started. Thank you in advance for your contributions.
    Features:
    1. Teathers easier to my laptop
    2. Better touchscreen and NO PEN!
    3. Faster email setup
    4. APPLICATIONS. Actual programs that work, and are useful
    5. Easier backup

What do I miss:
    1. Nothing

My typing is about 50% what it was on the Treo.

Copying and pasting is a breeze if you are using .99. Placing your fingers at the beginning of what you want to copy, and the end of what you want to copy highlights correctly now. Huge improvement over .75. So much faster than on a Treo.

After using my storm since November 21st., and still using the original one I got from Verizon, I'll never use Treo again. Blackberry is truly a better OS than Palm, or Windows Mobile.
    02-11-09 11:12 AM
    i had the 700w
    pros to storm:
    so many apps and upgrades.
    faster browser
    looks better
    as we all know windows mobile isnt the hottest OS
    no stylus is required
    skinnier than the 700
    bigger touch and accel
    pros to 700w:
    50% faster typing and easy copy paste
    today home screen
    stylus... yes for somethings i find it better than not having one.
    while the 700 was slow, i find much mjore overall lag on the storm
    but i would say the typing is the biggest thing that i miss from my 700w.
    that being said, ill likely stay with BB.
    02-11-09 12:08 PM
    i had the 700w
    pros to storm:
    so many apps and upgrades.
    faster browser
    looks better
    as we all know windows mobile isnt the hottest OS
    no stylus is required
    skinnier than the 700
    bigger touch and accel
    pros to 700w:
    50% faster typing and easy copy paste
    today home screen
    stylus... yes for somethings i find it better than not having one.
    while the 700 was slow, i find much mjore overall lag on the storm
    but i would say the typing is the biggest thing that i miss from my 700w.
    that being said, ill likely stay with BB.

+1 Save for the the overall lag. I have been able to consistently run multiple apps at the same time and not have to do a battery pull because the Treo 700w would stop responding. All of the apps I have, especially the GPS (Garmin & GPSed) work flawlessly. I used INav on my Treo and could never make a 100 mile trip with out having to do a battery pull. Now with the Storm, I run both GPS apps at the same time and still am able to answer call (BT and not) or listen to music and......

Outside of having to "get used" to the touch screen for typing, The Storm WAY outshines the Treo. I cannot say for the 700p though, sorry.
    02-11-09 12:19 PM
    +1 Save for the the overall lag. I have been able to consistently run multiple apps at the same time and not have to do a battery pull because the Treo 700w would stop responding. All of the apps I have, especially the GPS (Garmin & GPSed) work flawlessly. I used INav on my Treo and could never make a 100 mile trip with out having to do a battery pull. Now with the Storm, I run both GPS apps at the same time and still am able to answer call (BT and not) or listen to music and......

Outside of having to "get used" to the touch screen for typing, The Storm WAY outshines the Treo. I cannot say for the 700p though, sorry.
    i agree. i was on .75 until 2 days ago... so there was a bit of lag. now with sith's hybrid things are working much faster.
    02-11-09 12:26 PM
    i agree. i was on .75 until 2 days ago... so there was a bit of lag. now with sith's hybrid things are working much faster.
    What is "sith's hybrid" and is .99 a release that I would be able to install without voiding the warranty?

If not .99 what is the latest release I can safely put on my device without voiding the warranty? I heard a new release is coming in March 2009?
    02-11-09 12:54 PM
    Features:
    [LIST=1][*]Teathers easier to my laptop
    Do you pay an extra monthly charge for the teathering? If not, can you PM me instructions on how to do this?
    02-11-09 01:02 PM
    Another ex-700p user.

I love the storm keyboard but, it's not as fast as the Palm keyboard (or any physical keyboard, in my opinion).

I sometimes miss the ability to do things without really looking, which you can't do on a touchscreen.

A REAL web browser rocks so much harder than the Blazer browser! LOVE being able to log into my SSL-secured bank website and move money around!

The push (instant) email is so much nicer than the polling every X minutes system of the Palm.

I missed the speed dials on on the phone screen...until QuickLaunch came out. That app makes the phone SO much more usable!!

I missed the Today screen...until a Today Theme was released this morning.

Palm/Verizon released ONE OS update in the 2+ years I had that phone...and while the MR fixed some long-standing problems, it created some new ones too. I've gone from .65, .75, .76, .83, .90, .99...and will probably install .103 tonight. Support!!!
    02-11-09 01:20 PM
    Habious - Great info thanks a lot.... My biggest reason to make the move is the push email. I do enjoy the web browsing on the Storm but it's much slower than the Blazer. I read on another thread that changing it off the "Global" setting makes a huge difference so I'm going to try that when I get my Storm.
    02-11-09 01:48 PM
    Great thread. I'm on the fence of waiting for the Niagra or getting a Storm next month. I'm up for my upgrade 3/6/09 and I could nab that Storm at a ridiculously cheap price which seems hard to resist. I went to a VZ store and played with the 9530 for 15 minutes and really liked it. Typing was not nearly as bad as what I've read in reviews. Made a couple errors but I found the click sensation intuitive and functional. The only issue I could confirm from all the bad press was the orientation lag. Besides, being a Treo user, I don't think I could forfeit touchscreen functionality just to have the physical keyboard of the upcoming Niagra. Ideally, BB should make a Treo style phone with a good physical keyboard AND a touch display. Palm OS may have been clunky, but the form factor was perfect even if it could've been a tad thinner.

I will really miss my 700p though and my user name is a tribute to my dearly loved (but admittedly flawed) smartphone. While I'm on the Palm subject, the manager at the VW store said she thinks Sprint will only have the Pre for six months before VW gets their version (much like the Treo 700w). I'd bet Storm 2.0 would be out by then so things could get interesting by years end...
    02-11-09 02:37 PM
    I moved over from the 700p and have no regrets. I have rather large hands and can type about 150% faster on the storm. The only thing I miss is the calendar and contact list from the Palm desktop. I guess if I ever get used to Outlook I won't miss that anymore either.
    02-11-09 02:45 PM
    I am still learning about my storm and the whole BB world. I liked my 700p as far as syncing to my computer. I liked being able to print out my calander so my family could see my busy schedule and made it easier to plan our family events in my absence. I haven't quite figured out how to do this with the blackberry with outlook. I also liked the ability to catagorize appointments on the calender with color. made it easy for at a glance reference. other than that, the storm has been a great device.
    02-11-09 04:54 PM
    All yourTreo users that have come to the Blackberry side..... you wont regret it! Trust me. I'm a former Treo 600-650-700 user and if it wasnt for my work exposing me to a blackberry 5 years ago, i'd probably be rockin a friggen Centro right now. Oh the humanity!
    02-11-09 05:22 PM
    the way the 700p threaded msgs is so much better than the storm, ive had it since launch and it still drives me nuts
    02-11-09 07:00 PM
    the way the 700p threaded msgs is so much better than the storm, ive had it since launch and it still drives me nuts
    Are you referring to txt msgs? What's different exactly?
    02-12-09 09:06 AM
    What is "sith's hybrid" and is .99 a release that I would be able to install without voiding the warranty?

If not .99 what is the latest release I can safely put on my device without voiding the warranty? I heard a new release is coming in March 2009?
    Sith's hybrid blends 5 different OSs into one. he did a pretty good job. you can search sith's hybrid and theres a link to the most recent one. although, if youre not tech savvy i wouldnt recommend changing OSs without reading all the posts about it.
    it doesnt void any warranties and if you ever do have to return the storm all you have to do is reinstall the last official OS and youll be fine.
    02-12-09 09:12 AM
    i did a seaqrch for this topic but didn't find anything. Can apps be used while the phone is off? I used to shut down my phone on the Palm Treo but was still able to play games. If I shut the phone down on the Storm, it seems no other apps can be used unless the phone is open? Any thoughts?
    03-27-09 05:45 PM
    I didn't bother to try this but I think you can turn the radio off. I think it's under "Manage Connections" and you can check and/or uncheck Mobile Network, Bluetooth, and etc.
    03-27-09 06:39 PM
    I second that.
    03-27-09 06:40 PM
    Are you referring to txt msgs? What's different exactly?
    The threaded text messaging is one of the things I've really missed on the treo. If you haven't used it before it logs conversations like messenger would, just between you and the other person, and then separate entries for the different people you text.
    03-28-09 12:55 AM
    Thanks everyone. Ahhh yes, I see where to turn off the connections in the Manage Connections folder. I too miss the ongoing conversations in the Treo, but have gotten used to this. I was listening to Howard Stern the other day and that is exactly what he said too. He has the Treo and is a heavy text user and likes the call log on it. Funny how we all have the same concerns. TDS
    03-29-09 03:25 PM
    The only thing I miss is the keyboard and the fact that the Treo takes lick'n and keeps on tick'n. It's no wonder it's nickname is "The Brick". I wanted a Bold, but I would have had to switch carriers. The Storm, although not as well built, is a more fluid device. No stylus, better email interface and more storage space. Biggest feature would have to be a larger viewing area, great for docs and other attachments. If you watched movies and videos, you'll be blown away with the clarity and sound! It gets easier, trust me. I really thought that after 30 days I would be returning it and onto the new Treo, glad I didn't. I think you will be happy with docs to go. Nice smooth transition from from word and excel. I have not had any issues using or viewing any of the windows based apps, that were featured on the storm.
    Last edited by jbdale; 03-29-09 at 09:21 PM.
    03-29-09 04:14 PM
    I moved over from the 700p and have no regrets. I have rather large hands and can type about 150% faster on the storm. The only thing I miss is the calendar and contact list from the Palm desktop. I guess if I ever get used to Outlook I won't miss that anymore either.
    My sentiments exactly. I do miss the Palm desktop software but other than that I have never looked back.
    03-29-09 08:28 PM
    I was a little faster on the 700P but not 50%. You can get pretty qUick with the Storm. If you have not had a BB, as I had not, even after hearing how much better the email was I was amazed. It really is that good.
    The thing I miss on the Treo was the PIMs. I have updated the Storms with 3rd party and still cant believe how hard it is to set a due date. It was so simple to do tasks etc before.

Still I am happy with it overall.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-29-09 08:29 PM
    I had the 700w and type as fast on the Storm as the Treo. The Push mail is better by far.

the only con is the calendar on the Treo was better.
    03-29-09 08:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD