02-24-09 11:05 PM
82 123 ...
tools
    Maybe someone will actually notice this if there are enough people....or maybe not....either way I need to vent!

Yah its an Iphone thing but not really, as it is on other phones and devices. It can't be that hard to add since the tech in already out there. SO BLOODY ADD IT ALREADY....OR SOMEONE MAKE AN APP FOR IT AT $2 A DOWNLOAD AND MAKE A FORTUNE BECAUSE I BET EVERY SINGLE STORM USER WILL BUY IT.....so lets see over a million sold x2....think it would be worth it..........

Or at least let us use the side bar on the right like on a computer, because I for one am sick and FRIGGING TIRED OF HAVING TO SCROLL ENDLESSLY THROUGH CONTACTS AND EMAILS ETC!!!! (yes I know I can search etc but that is not my point).......and besides being sick and tired of doing the endless scrolling.....flick scrolling is just kind of fun:-).
    02-01-09 04:44 PM
    Apple now owns the patent on that one. Won't happen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-01-09 05:24 PM
    I! I think it will be added. High demand.
    02-01-09 05:39 PM
    You mean like "Rubberband" scrolling??? Like on the vorager??? Just wondering...I'd LOVE that....makes scrolling so much easier...Only thing I'm envious about with my friends Voyager!!
    02-01-09 05:53 PM
    Apple now owns the patent on that one. Won't happen.

Where'd ya read that (just wanna see a link), I'd like to see, cuz if it's what I'm thinking it is, and I'm not sure if I'm correct, It's already on the Voyager.
    Last edited by jfriz81579; 02-01-09 at 06:11 PM.
    02-01-09 05:55 PM
    Where'd ya read that (just wanna see a link), I'd like to see, cuz if it's what I'm thinking it is, and I'm not sure if I'm correct, It's already on the Voyager.
    I'm on my Curve right now but if you do a search for "No multitouch on the Storm....ever" you will find it there.

We just had a discussion about this very thing.

I would think anything that was developed and introduced (Palm Pre) before the patent should be fine. I'm not a lawyer though : )

Last edited by cereal killer; 02-01-09 at 06:48 PM.
    02-01-09 06:44 PM
    Yah I can't see really how a scrolling method can be patented when it is on other phones. Even if you could just use the bar on the side I would be happy. But Yes this rubberbank scrolling sounds like what I am talking about.
    02-01-09 06:45 PM
    eh, what the heck. Aye, I'd like to see it. I'm not holding my breath. it's probably not going to happen, patent or not.
    02-01-09 07:02 PM
    A better term would be "inertial scrolling" since that's what it is. And regardless of how easy it is or isn't to implement (it's a bit more involved than you might think) the fact remains it's a new feature, and new features can introduce new bugs. Let them focus on getting a good fast, stable OS out first before they start worrying about a bunch of new features.

And no Cereal, the critical time period is anything developed before the patent application was FILED, not when it was granted. Of course if someone can show an example of prior art, as in someone using a nearly identical method before the patent application was filed, then it can be used to invalidate the patent. So you need to start finding devices/programs that had this feature before about 2005... And actually, Microsoft could actually be the savior on this one, since Internet Explorer has had "smooth scrolling" since about IE3 way back in the mid-90s. It's essentially the same feature, only using a mouse or keyboard instead of hand gestures. And of course Microsoft pretty much never has an original idea of its own, so they likely stole it from someone else before that.

Now all someone needs to do is hire a lawyer to challenge Apple's patent, to at least get that part of it invalidated.
    02-01-09 07:56 PM
    i would LOVE flick scrolling, and mutitap / multizoom!!!! but i dont think rim will ever add that
    02-01-09 08:02 PM
    Oh please make that happen. Flick scrolling would be the best!

02-01-09 08:13 PM
    i

im the only one that actually did what he said without arguing lol
    02-01-09 09:15 PM
    i

im the only one that actually did what he said without arguing lol
    Yah.....wtf:-)..........'why can't we be friends why can't we be friends'......sorry watched Dazed and Confused a little too much in my day.

Despite all the technical babble and patent discussion I think we all can agree that without a doubt there has to be an easier way to scroll on this thing. I am pretty sure just being able to use the bar on the side of the screen is not patented b/c it is on every system see---------->>>>>
    either way I have a lot more usefull things to do with my fingers besides scroll constantly:-)
    02-01-09 10:31 PM
    I'm on my Curve right now but if you do a search for "No multitouch on the Storm....ever" you will find it there.

We just had a discussion about this very thing.

I would think anything that was developed and introduced (Palm Pre) before the patent should be fine. I'm not a lawyer though : )

Well, that sucks.
    02-01-09 10:34 PM
    i would LOVE flick scrolling, and mutitap / multizoom!!!! but i dont think rim will ever add that
    And I have to ask (please don't turn this into one of those lame threads that everyone argues in and tries to convice the other person that they are more techy or more blackberrye loyal:-).....I am just asking as an honest question. Why do you think that they would never add those?

If it is just to act like they are not Apple and get get by without using their tools to me that makes no sense. Imagine if one car company had said 'well sure they invented an airbag and it will save lives but be dammed if we should do what they do....lets just make our seatbelts a different colour'.......

Either way Apple or not it is a cool feature....sad that a little thing like flicking can entertain me but besides the fact that I hate having to scroll endlessly I just think it is neat. Still I would be curious to know why RIM would not use it unless its an legal issue.........that is the only way it would make sense.....we buy it we should get an opinion.
    02-01-09 10:40 PM
    I!!!!!! i came from the curve and an LG Dare, and i miss the flick scrolling i had with the dare!
    02-01-09 11:08 PM
    ^as stated it is probobly a legal issue.

02-01-09 11:09 PM
    If it is rocking on phones like the LG how can it be a legal issue?.....I am thinking someone just does not want to seem like they are copying other companies.
    02-01-09 11:11 PM
    I!!!!!! i came from the curve and an LG Dare, and i miss the flick scrolling i had with the dare!
    What are you talking about? I have a Dare, and the inertial scrolling is awful on it. Half the time you end up selecting some option you didn't mean to before you even begin, and the other half of the time you select something you didn't mean to trying to stop the scrolling.
    02-01-09 11:26 PM
    If it is rocking on phones like the LG how can it be a legal issue?

Someone who can effectively use logic! It'll be on the Storm before you know it.
    02-01-09 11:53 PM
    I

I didn't read thru this thread but it should be implemented
    02-02-09 12:14 AM
    I am in on this....please add flick scrolling to my storm....
    02-02-09 12:17 AM
    Here's the actual patent. I did not read it very thoroughly but I do not think it mentions "flick" scrolling.....

No idea why RIM didn't implement this simple feature in the first place. Scrolling to the bottom of a webpage or contacts should not take 1,300 swipes : )

Palm Pre has the "flick" scrolling feature so it's probobly safe to say that it is not a legal issue.

At any rate here is the patent. The multitouch features in the patent are pretty cool.....

enjoy

United States Patent Application: 0080316183
    02-02-09 12:48 AM
    Seeing the speed at which RIM is releasing updates, I'm sure flick scrolling will be on the Storm before we know it. Sweet
    02-02-09 12:50 AM
    I believe Apple patents do not cover flick scrolling. We need to get the flick scrolling out before some company patents it - RIM should start adding some patents on the storm like... > Suretype, Search function by holding contact's name, video cameras on push screen phones... Lol I can name hundreds of obsurd ones, just like Apple has, and thus Apple as acted on.
    02-02-09 01:45 AM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD