Also, I seem to recall that you offered to assist if anyone had memory leaks. I seem to cycle from 24MB free down to 12 in about 2 days with little use.
    - R.
    What apps are you running and what OS? I haven't seen a drop like that except for a few notorious apps or a really bad theme. Since .151 OS, memory management has been very good. Put a list up.
    11-19-09 07:57 PM
    Problem just happened again, but instead of 95% of my Calendar entries it just wanted to delete about 40% of them.

- Wanted to delete 537 entries
    - All were from 2007
    - First was from Aug 11/07, last was from Dec 15/07; I have no Outlook entries prior to Aug 11/07 but I do have entries from Dec 16/07 onwards
    - Options > Memory shows 8.9MB free

Am running QuickPull now ... this increased memory to 24.5MB so given my last QPull was yesterday I definitely have a memory leak.

Re-ran DM Sync and it wanted to delete the same 537 entries.

So :

1) Changing the memory didn't fix the problem
    2) At some point something has definitely deleted huge amounts of my data as I for sure had Calendar entries going back way older than 2007; I have no idea what I'm going to do about this, to be honest, as my desktop backups only go back 3 months - if it happened before then I'm hooped
    3) This has nothing to do with Pocket Informant as I removed PI last night and rebooted afterwards

If this gives anyone any clues please share. I'm afraid I'm sitting here a little stunned at having lost all my Calendar entries prior to Aug 11, 2007.

- R.
    11-19-09 08:14 PM
    Problem just happened again, but instead of 95% of my Calendar entries it just wanted to delete about 40% of them.

- Wanted to delete 537 entries
    - All were from 2007
    - First was from Aug 11/07, last was from Dec 15/07; I have no Outlook entries prior to Aug 11/07 but I do have entries from Dec 16/07 onwards
    - Options > Memory shows 8.9MB free

Am running QuickPull now ... this increased memory to 24.5MB so given my last QPull was yesterday I definitely have a memory leak.

Re-ran DM Sync and it wanted to delete the same 537 entries.

So :

1) Changing the memory didn't fix the problem
    2) At some point something has definitely deleted huge amounts of my data as I for sure had Calendar entries going back way older than 2007; I have no idea what I'm going to do about this, to be honest, as my desktop backups only go back 3 months - if it happened before then I'm hooped
    3) This has nothing to do with Pocket Informant as I removed PI last night and rebooted afterwards

If this gives anyone any clues please share. I'm afraid I'm sitting here a little stunned at having lost all my Calendar entries prior to Aug 11, 2007.

- R.
    11-19-09 08:18 PM
    Here's another post in a related thread this evening: http://forums.crackberry.com/f79/mis...3/#post4130635

Sounds familiar...
    11-19-09 08:34 PM
    stupid question but when you guys setup your sync, are you making sure you check the box in DM to 'keep past appts' or whatever?
    11-19-09 08:37 PM
    stupid question but when you guys setup your sync, are you making sure you check the box in DM to 'keep past appts' or whatever?
    If you read the post I linked, that guy specifically states is has set the option to Keep Forever.
    11-19-09 08:46 PM
    Rooster,
    Sorry to hear about your newest problem.

1) Have you looked in outlook, in the deleted folder to see if you appts are there?

2) Do you have a backup of your outlook pst file somewhere, that contains all of your data?

3) Are you doing a 1 way or 2 way sync?
    11-19-09 09:44 PM
    I just spoke to RIM. They have CONFIRMED that Data will be DELETED if MEMORY runs low.

I spoke to Jonny today on November 19 2009. I have a case number that i don't want to give out here. He will explain it to anyone who wants to know about this "flaw". Call your carrier and ask to be routed to RIM directly. He referenced the following KB Documents that explain this situation:

-KB02843
    -KB14213
    -KB15345
    -KB11328
    -KB10183

The link to the Tech Support site is: BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

He also said they are seeing an increase in call volume regarding this issue since OS5 came out and since APP world came out. These are memory hogs.

Their solution: They are increasing device memory on all future devices.
    They confirmed all the above documents apply to CURRENT devices INCLUDING the STORM.

I said it before and I'll say it again- RIM this is UNACCEPTABLE!! You should warn us before deleting personal data!
    11-19-09 09:52 PM
    Another example, from a Bold user: http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/any...ssages-367908/
    11-19-09 11:14 PM
    RIM is probably scrolling through this right now
    11-19-09 11:17 PM
    The stater of this thread is joke.... Just pay attention to what apps you are putting on your device. Before you start pointing fingers.. Look in the mirror and see what you can do to fix your phone... I have a storm and my memory is fine(and yes I do have apps downloaded).
    11-20-09 10:11 AM
    The stater of this thread is joke.... Just pay attention to what apps you are putting on your device. Before you start pointing fingers.. Look in the mirror and see what you can do to fix your phone... I have a storm and my memory is fine(and yes I do have apps downloaded).
    well according to RIM it's a known issue, so idk how big of a joke it can be. every document i've seen from testing until yesterday has lad to the conclusion that LMM has been removed. now, idk if the "issue" is related to LMM, or if it's just a bug/flaw, but the issue is very real. i've never stated it wasn't real, i've just debated the root issue, and it's cause.

i'll go through the KB docs provided and see what i can figure out.
    11-20-09 10:55 AM
    I just spoke to RIM. They have CONFIRMED that Data will be DELETED if MEMORY runs low.

I spoke to Jonny today on November 19 2009. I have a case number that i don't want to give out here. He will explain it to anyone who wants to know about this "flaw". Call your carrier and ask to be routed to RIM directly. He referenced the following KB Documents that explain this situation:

-KB02843
    -KB14213
    -KB15345
    -KB11328
    -KB10183

The link to the Tech Support site is: BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

He also said they are seeing an increase in call volume regarding this issue since OS5 came out and since APP world came out. These are memory hogs.

Their solution: They are increasing device memory on all future devices.
    They confirmed all the above documents apply to CURRENT devices INCLUDING the STORM.

I said it before and I'll say it again- RIM this is UNACCEPTABLE!! You should warn us before deleting personal data!

none of these KB docs relate to any OS higher than 4.2....i have had a few different people search the known issues log with VZW, and nothing about the storm and LMM is documented. this is obviously a memory storage flaw, not a feature of the OS.

THIS IS BUG, NOT A FEATURE

just want to make that clear. carry on
    11-20-09 11:01 AM
    none of these KB docs relate to any OS higher than 4.2....i have had a few different people search the known issues log with VZW, and nothing about the storm and LMM is documented. this is obviously a memory storage flaw, not a feature of the OS.

THIS IS BUG, NOT A FEATURE

just want to make that clear. carry on

But TS did say it applies to the Storm. All those KB docs were updated this year. Doesn't make sense they would update those docs and exclude the storm or all current devices, otherwise it should be in the archive section.
    11-20-09 12:50 PM
    But TS did say it applies to the Storm. All those KB docs were updated this year. Doesn't make sense they would update those docs and exclude the storm or all current devices, otherwise it should be in the archive section.
    but the docs do not say anything about any OS higher than 4.2 anywhere....so if the issue exists, it's not very well documented. a simple search of LMM or low memory, or even "calendar being deleted" will deliver the same docs you pointed out. but yet none of them list specific devices impacted, or which OS versions are impacted.

updated doesn't mean current. documentation isn't RIM's strong point.

in my experience, i no longer go by "what they say" unless its documented somewhere. so maybe the documents they are referencing are internal only, and not in the knowledge base?
    11-20-09 12:56 PM
    It sounds like this bug may have existed since the Storm 1 was released, and is not just a 5.0 bug. Some users reported this problem last March. It also sounds like this is not being fixed (at the OS level) which is too bad, and probably a mistake by RIM. If this problem really does exist, it probably exists on the Storm 2 also, but since there is more memory it will just happen less often.

RIM should probably at least warn Storm users to keep good calendar db backups, and should make it very clear when DM syncing that you are about to delete older calendar appointments, maybe add a 'Calendar history is about to be deleted, Are you sure?' prompt if the records being deleted are prior to todays date.
    Last edited by wmscottmc; 11-20-09 at 02:35 PM.
    11-20-09 02:10 PM
    Good thread, and amen!!
    11-20-09 02:47 PM
    Also, my storm has been shutting off, maybe a result of a bug?
    11-20-09 02:48 PM
    Well, I found a backup that gives me Calendar entries back to Dec 9/05. That backup was made July 13/09. So between then and now at some point I lost all my Calendar data from Dec 9/05 to Aug 11/07.

At some point prior to that I lost all my Calendar entries prior to Dec 9/05.

I remember that it was after upgrading from .76 to .122 (official Telus versions both) that (1) I got my first warning that DM Sync wanted to delete hundreds of entries, and (2) I was quite pleased that the DM Sync seemed to get way faster - tens of seconds instead of minutes. I wonder if it speeded up just because it was syncing less data.

Well, at least now I have proof for Telus and RIM that something happened. Let's see what they do.

Oh and on the same note I spoke to my brother today and told him about this issue. He said it explained some things for him as he'd noticed Calendar entries had disappeared on him as well. He works differently from me so he just ignored it.

Have a great weekend - R.
    11-20-09 08:42 PM
    Re: Storm / Desktop Manager Deleting Older Calendar Entries During Outlook Sync - Verizon Community

solution discussed indicates the "keep forever" setting on your phone (which isn't the issue), but it's the sync settings...on DM you need to have the "sync all appointments" setting enabled, if you have "sync only future" events then it will always prompt to delete old events as part of the sync. if i understand correctly, when you plug your phone to DM it's prompting you to delete events, but isn't actually doing so until you approve the change, correct? have you confirmed the sync settings, maybe even disable the auto sync so it only syncs as per your your request, and not whenever you plug in?
    11-20-09 08:52 PM
    Re: Storm / Desktop Manager Deleting Older Calendar Entries During Outlook Sync - Verizon Community

solution discussed indicates the "keep forever" setting on your phone (which isn't the issue), but it's the sync settings...on DM you need to have the "sync all appointments" setting enabled, if you have "sync only future" events then it will always prompt to delete old events as part of the sync. if i understand correctly, when you plug your phone to DM it's prompting you to delete events, but isn't actually doing so until you approve the change, correct? have you confirmed the sync settings, maybe even disable the auto sync so it only syncs as per your your request, and not whenever you plug in?
    that is what i asked many posts ago
    11-20-09 08:58 PM
    that is what i asked many posts ago
    you should know better...i've had you on ignore for months now! i just took you off, lol!
    11-20-09 09:05 PM

On DM, i do have "Sync all appointments" and not just "future Items". When i plug my phone into DM, it has already automatically deleted my calendar on my BB. What it is doing now is prompting me to CONFIRM the deletions on DM/Outlook too, in order to MATCH my BB.

I have disabled the Auto sync. I manually hit the synchronize option.

I set it up this way from day one. I don't want it automatically syncing nor do i want it automatically add or delete entries, which is why i am prompted to confirm.
    11-20-09 09:09 PM

Hi patches - thanks for the ongoing effort.

- "Keep forever" is set on my Storm
    - "Sync all appointments" is set in DM
    - I have DM automatic sync turned off so it only syncs when I trigger it
    - All DM syncs are set to confirm deletions so they only occur when I confirm them; Unfortunately it appears I have said "Yes" a couple of times when I shouldn't have

- R.
    11-21-09 01:50 PM
    On DM, i do have "Sync all appointments" and not just "future Items". When i plug my phone into DM, it has already automatically deleted my calendar on my BB. What it is doing now is prompting me to CONFIRM the deletions on DM/Outlook too, in order to MATCH my BB.

I have disabled the Auto sync. I manually hit the synchronize option.

I set it up this way from day one. I don't want it automatically syncing nor do i want it automatically add or delete entries, which is why i am prompted to confirm.
    2nd on all points.

- R.
    11-21-09 01:51 PM
249 ... 78910
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD