I am in upgrade h*ll. I have tried .122, 131, 141. All official releases. The unit just goes into a reset loop when it tries to initialize the phone. Each time I am able to reload .78 and get it back to its original state. I have no apps running on the phone as it is brand new. I always wipe the phone before upgrading but I have tried it without wiping as well. I always uninstall old OS's and reboot, making sure there are no left over files before installing a new OS. I am running DM 4.7 however I always load my phone from loader.exe. I always delete the vendor file and my internet connection is never active. I am not using a usb hub and have tried various USB ports on my computer. Again....I am able to load .78 back with no problems. Any ideas?
    05-13-09 03:41 PM
    maybe you have a 9530 :P

Sorry.....had to
    05-13-09 03:42 PM
    I thought about that but how would I be able to get the 9500 vodaphone UK vers. .78 to load and run on the phone?
    Last edited by deckert99; 05-13-09 at 03:50 PM.
    05-13-09 03:44 PM
    Maybe I will try a 9530 version for the h*ll of it. At this point I have nothing to loose.....except for my crappy phone that is.
    05-13-09 03:56 PM
    So you're telling us that if you get the Voda .141 OS and install it, it bricks your phone? Hard to believe. Call Voda and have them walk you through the upgrade. It's a supported OS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-09 04:44 PM
    Yes the Voda .141 bricks the phone and I did phone Voda however they were not as helpful as the people on this forum. They should hire some of you guys. They wanted me to send the phone back however I am in Canada and will not be back to the UK for a month. The Voda .78 runs OK however I would like to be able to upgrade.
    05-13-09 05:04 PM
    Do me a favor remove your battery and read me the first line does it end in 9500 or 9530?

05-13-09 06:29 PM
    There is no info regarding what type of phone I have on the inside label. The first line reads PRD-17491-800. There are two more lines with equally strange numbers. The fourth line shows the pin number and manufacturing date. The label ends with "Property of Research In Motion" and there is a IMEI number with a barcode. Could this possibly be a RIM test device?
    05-13-09 06:44 PM
    Ok weird go options about and the first line should tell you what kind of phone you have
    Your not using windows 7 are you?

05-13-09 06:48 PM
    Using Win XP SP3. First line in About says Blackberry 9500. Second line says smartphone 3G and then all the platform information. I have just uninstalled all my Blackberry software and rebooted. I am going to re-install everything and try to update again. I will let you know how it goes.
    05-13-09 07:02 PM
    Reloaded everything......installed Voda .141.....wiped phone and installed OS......phone is bricked! Tried to load 9530 software however loader.exe said that the software was not for my phone. I will shut down my internet connection and reload Voda .78. Anybody with any idea as to what is going on please let me know. Thanks
    05-13-09 08:20 PM
    Reloaded Voda .78 .....running no problems. What the h*ll is going on? There must be a few brainiacs out there with some idea as to what may be the issue. If all else fails....I live 20 minutes from RIM.......maybe I will bring my phone to them and see if their minds can come up with an answer. Thanks to all that tried to help.
    05-13-09 08:41 PM
    Take the sfi file form the .141 build and put it in the .78 build directory. This will load the new platform with the old Java. This will tell you if the Core OS or the Java is the cause of the brick.

Also, you haven't specified exactly "when" it bricks. At what stage in the load process does it brick?
    05-13-09 09:08 PM
    The 9500 bricks when loader.exe tries to initialize (reboot) the device. The device starts to boot then a message appears that says "unable to start" with "resetting" below. The 9500 goes into an endless reboot cycle. If I reconnect to it and re-load the software loader.exe shows that the phone only has the base OS loaded. No Java. I will try swapping the SFI file you suggested and let you know what happens. Thanks
    05-14-09 09:10 AM
    It looks like a core OS problem. The sfi file from .141 bricked the phone again. As usual it never even made to the loading applications stage. I swapped back in the .78 sfi file and loader.exe loaded everything.....no problems. What now? Could unlocking the phone have done something to it?
    05-14-09 10:37 AM
    It looks like a core OS problem. The sfi file from .141 bricked the phone again. As usual it never even made to the loading applications stage. I swapped back in the .78 sfi file and loader.exe loaded everything.....no problems. What now? Could unlocking the phone have done something to it?
    How did you unlock the phone? You didn't by any chance use that leaked utility that made its rounds on the web a couple of months bad... did you?
    05-14-09 10:43 AM
    I bought it unlocked. I will call the guy I bought it from and find out how it was done.
    05-14-09 10:57 AM
    I am in upgrade h*ll. I have tried .122, 131, 141. All official releases. The unit just goes into a reset loop when it tries to initialize the phone. Each time I am able to reload .78 and get it back to its original state. I have no apps running on the phone as it is brand new. I always wipe the phone before upgrading but I have tried it without wiping as well. I always uninstall old OS's and reboot, making sure there are no left over files before installing a new OS. I am running DM 4.7 however I always load my phone from loader.exe. I always delete the vendor file and my internet connection is never active. I am not using a usb hub and have tried various USB ports on my computer. Again....I am able to load .78 back with no problems. Any ideas?
    What is the first the numbers of this devices PIN #?? And where did you purchase it from?
    05-14-09 11:55 AM
    What is the first the numbers of this devices PIN #?? And where did you purchase it from?
    What's the significance of the first #s of the PIN? Just curious.
    05-14-09 12:01 PM
    The pin # is 20E57B7F. I just spoke to the guy I bought it from and he told me that it is an unbranded 9500 and it was never locked. It came directly from RIM which is about 20 minutes from here.
    05-14-09 12:26 PM
    Does anyone else notice the fact that the phone says "Property of Research in Motion" ?

So this is a test phone, no?

And maybe (just maybe) RIM put the logic on the device to prevent upgrades?

I know this sounds outlandish but I remember reading about a 9530 in the UK that was masquerading as a 9500 (with Vodafone livery/logo) in December/January...
    05-14-09 12:26 PM
    The pin # is 20E57B7F. I just spoke to the guy I bought it from and he told me that it is an unbranded 9500 and it was never locked. It came directly from RIM which is about 20 minutes from here.
    If it's a test phone (most likely) then that explains why it won't update properly. Perhaps CX can tell you what your options are here, but it's not looking so good. Kevin's original Bold he got his hands on a long time ago before it even came out was like this... and it wouldn't upgrade beyond a certain OS level if I remember correctly.
    05-14-09 12:30 PM
    Dude, you live 20 minutes from RIM???? Go knock on their door
    05-14-09 12:34 PM
    Dude, you live 20 minutes from RIM???? Go knock on their door
    I just may have to do that......I wonder what they will say if I do have one of their test devices? Think they will give me my money back?
    05-14-09 01:00 PM
    I just may have to do that......I wonder what they will say if I do have one of their test devices? Think they will give me my money back?
    Ha ha or get the person that sold it to you in trouble

(cause you know they have those "not for resale" stickers )
    05-14-09 01:04 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD