Omg my blackberry storm2 reset while I was on the phone and when it came back on it had none of my contacts. Then it wouldnt read my memory card. I did a battery pull and it read the memory card but all my contacts gone. I backed up my blackberry 2 weeks ago since then I have added at least 8 new numbers. So that means those 8 numbers are gone unless those people call or text me soon. Then those people are gonna think I deleted them and gotta deal with that whole cycle. This doesnt make any sense at all. I see im going to back up my blackberry everytime I add a new number which for me is gonna be at least twice a week. I wish it was another way to save your contacts to you memory card and just reload them back on the phone by taking them off the memory card. This would be much easier. Im so pissed. Has this happened to anyone else??

Ashley
    11-10-09 06:27 PM
    I have not had that problem at all acutally. I too wish we could save the contacts to the SD card or SIM card I accidentally wiped my S1 without saving my contacts and was very pissed after that. I have 3 backups now just incase
    11-10-09 06:43 PM
    Actually you can save contacts to the SIM card, not that its much good as the SIM card contacts do not stow the same quantity of information as the BB contacts does. Your best bet is to sync with Outlook/Notes/Yahoo/gmail.

To the OP, just because it reset during a phone call it should not have reset/wiped out your contacts. I don't understand this, as the contacts are stored in its own database. Don't get me wrong, I believe ya.

Have you performed a sync or a backup lately? If so, then they are easily recoverable.

I perform a sync, with Outlook, at least twice a week. I don't have many contacts, around 80 or so, but I do have over 4000 calendar entries (and growing) that I would be lost without (including notes in each).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 07:16 PM
    yes I know you CAN do it, but its a one by one process, and only 1 number or email can be saved. Saving to the SD card would be WAY better.
    11-10-09 07:22 PM
    I dont know how it happened but I experienced the same exact problem yesterday. I dont even remember my phone rebooting before i realized that ALL my contacts had all been deleted.

I took out my battery and rebooted -- a futile attempt to get my contacts back. Still, no contacts to be found. Today when I woke up a few of my contacts were restored. I have about 15 of my original 150.

This is my first Blackberry and I have had nothing but problems with it. Its a damn shame because I want to love the phone and deem it better than an iPhone... but RIM is making that nearly impossible.

On top of the contant list issue my Wi-Fi simply refuses to work. Even though I find a strong connection the wifi symbol at the top of the phone remains gray.

HELP!
    11-10-09 08:31 PM
    Uncheck the box for synchronizing your contacts through gmail. Where you set your email up at. There is a glitch with that service that causes this. Sometimes if you let your phone sit long enough they will come back but they might come back all jumbled up too.
    11-10-09 08:36 PM
    but RIM is making that nearly impossible.

On top of the contant list issue my Wi-Fi simply refuses to work. Even though I find a strong connection the wifi symbol at the top of the phone remains gray.

HELP!
    Operator error is not RIM making this impossible. Do you have a name next to your WiFi box in your manage locations or above your clock?(it should be the name of your network) If not your phone isn't connected to your wireless network. If the name of your network is there you need to make sure that port 485 is not blocked in your firewall/router.
    11-10-09 08:42 PM
    I dont know how it happened but I experienced the same exact problem yesterday. I dont even remember my phone rebooting before i realized that ALL my contacts had all been deleted.

I took out my battery and rebooted -- a futile attempt to get my contacts back. Still, no contacts to be found. Today when I woke up a few of my contacts were restored. I have about 15 of my original 150.

This is my first Blackberry and I have had nothing but problems with it. Its a damn shame because I want to love the phone and deem it better than an iPhone... but RIM is making that nearly impossible.

HELP!
    Alright, the contact thing I have no idea bout. I personally have not experienced it.

But the WiFi i may be able to help with. I had it set up instantly with no problems at all.

First, I would make sure you do not have MAC filtering on in your router. Second, make sure you have the security settings correct. I use WEP, so I am not sure what you do for other settings, I would assume just chang ethe type and put in the PW. Here is what I did:
    I have MAC filtering on, so I added my MAC from the S2 (Options>Status) into my router's Accept list, I then went to my S2, and opened the WiFi settings, manually added my network because my SSID is NOT broadcasted, and then put in my WEP key, and hit save, then the symbol went grey, then white after about 2 minutes. I had the 3G on and everything.

Basically, double check and triple check the WiFi settings. ReDo everything you could have possibly gotten wrong. Try manually adding the network instead of automatically. That may help too.
    11-10-09 08:42 PM
    Yeah I just dont know whats wrong I really hope it doesnt do this again while Im out and about that would be horrible or if Im away from home for a few days and cant resync the contacts. I really love the hardware of the storm 2 its one of the best looking phones out but the os or whatever needs to be fixed for good. I cant wait for a better web browser as well. Oh and when I put the storm2 in landscape mode the back light gets low.. Why? I havent a clue but its kinda getting on my nerve. I know no phone will be perfect but this is no where near perfect cant wait for a os update and browser update then I will be able to love the storm2 like I want to ya know.

Ashley
    11-10-09 09:27 PM
    Uncheck the box for synchronizing your contacts through gmail. Where you set your email up at. There is a glitch with that service that causes this. Sometimes if you let your phone sit long enough they will come back but they might come back all jumbled up too.
    hi, gmail has jumbled my contacts and have now deleted them all. I have a mac with the bb desktop manager on it. When i go to sync the back up data on it, it is the jumbled contacts that wants to override my mac address book that is 100% correct. Is there a way I can import my mac address book back into my storm 2? You knowlege is greatly appreciated!
    06-10-10 12:07 PM
    To the OP any everyone else here (this thread seems to have a few things going on at once!)...

I recommend not using the contacts sync option through the Email Settings setup for Gmail, if that's the service you're using. Rather, uncheck that box and use the separate Google Sync app instead. It works great for me, and I never have to worry about losing my contacts in this manner because I know they're being synced up to my Gmail account all the time. Also, it includes calendar sync which I rely on as well.

Verizon 9550 owners: If you're not using Gmail, then I'd check out Verizon's Backup Assistant, which now is supposed to be compatible with Blackberrys. I've never used it with my BB, because I use Google Sync, but I have used it with other devices and it always worked great and kept everything backed up on a daily basis. (If you don't have an icon for Backup Assistant, you can get it by going to this link on your device: VZStart ).
    06-10-10 01:23 PM
    Pete, you beat me to it. I was going to suggest the VZW Backup Assistant as well. I had it pushed to my S2 several weeks ago, so I am assuming it's compatible. I don't use it either. I synch with Outlook about twice a week, plus I have Smart Guard running, which does an auto-synch everyday. It backs up my contacts, calendar, emails, SMS and other things. I have the paid version, but if I remember correctly, the free version includes the backup (I may be wrong here, if anyone knows, please hop in).

I have no idea why the OPs contacts disappeared, that's very strange. The good news is, he's only 8 numbers behind. Don't worry about hurting anyone's feelings, when you blame a computer, everyone understands.
    06-10-10 01:29 PM
    hi, gmail has jumbled my contacts and have now deleted them all. I have a mac with the bb desktop manager on it. When i go to sync the back up data on it, it is the jumbled contacts that wants to override my mac address book that is 100% correct. Is there a way I can import my mac address book back into my storm 2? You knowlege is greatly appreciated!
    I have no idea about the desktop manager on a Mac. (I refuse to conform to Steve Jobs demands) Can you log into gmail and get them straight? If so I would go that route and use the gmail sync app to sync them. There may be a better way with the Desktop manager, I am just not familiar with what it is capable of on a Mac.

Pete, energy,
    The backup assistant seems to work flawlessly in the background. I only syncs names and phone numbers though, nothing else. There is no need to start it either, it just works.
    06-10-10 07:56 PM
    +1000 on disabling contacts sync with GMail. For me it puts business addresses in the personal field, and puts the full address in the line 1 field instead of city, state, etc.

I don't have outlook, but that actually worked great at my last job on BES.

My advice on for a backup is to use the sync feature in Desktop Manager. Set contacts to use the ASCII editor file in Blackberry format. This creates a .csv file that you can import if GMail magically turns contacs sync back on (happened to me twice now).
    06-11-10 07:45 AM
    I use Google Syc as well. It's free, easy, automatic, takes about 5 minute to download/setup and your contacts are always backed up. Even if you loose your phone, get the new one, download Google Sync to it and all of your contacts and calendar info will show up a few minutes later.
    06-11-10 08:36 AM
    I use Outlook and the Backup Assistant. I've got about 300 contacts that I would not want to lose.

A friend of mine lost all of his contacts on his iPhone somehow recently. Ten years worth of contacts and he was not a happy camper. Needless to say he learned the lesson of backing up and syncing your contacts!
    06-11-10 09:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD