sometimes my alert doesnt always play when i recieve a message. I hear a faint static-y sound when it fails to work. I used the search, nothing really popped up. Any help?
    02-23-09 01:14 PM
    mine does this too. my own ringtones will work but the preloaded ones will not. usually a battery pull does the trick.
    02-23-09 01:17 PM
    I'll get that from time to time as well... usually if I get a barrage of messages at the same time.

are the alert tones preloaded or your own? if they're your own, are they on the device or on the memcard?
    02-23-09 01:23 PM
    It doesn't seem to like multiple messages coming at once. That will sometimes mess mine up. Battery pull solves almost everything.
    02-23-09 01:28 PM
    I'll get that from time to time as well... usually if I get a barrage of messages at the same time.

are the alert tones preloaded or your own? if they're your own, are they on the device or on the memcard?
    well the alerts are the ones that come with the phone. My ringtone is my own. How do i make sure its on the memcard? SOrry im a noob
    02-23-09 01:47 PM
    There is a bug issue with some of the preloaded ringtones. I know for certain that LIGHTSPEED and EAGER have bugs as to where they kind of have a mind of their own. They ring when your phone is not idle, but when your phone is idle you can hear the little click as if an alert is going to sound, but it does not. There are a couple of other alerts that do the same thing. I have absolutely no clue if they're going to be fixed in later OS updates. I'm still running .75 and this is really the only problem with the phone that I have. It's a huge pain when you miss a ton of messages or something just because of a bug in a tone.

On a side note...there are some other posts out there on this topic as that's where I got my information. I'm not flaming you or b****ing about it, I totally understand your problem. And I HATE it when people on here will b***h at others for posting a remotely similar topic instead of just trying to help someone out with their problem/question. Try searching for "SMS alert tone not working" or something along those lines in the advanced search. I had this same problem and found some answers that way.
    02-23-09 01:59 PM
    I know my alerts have a mind of it's own. I used Stewie Bugs Lois ringtone for my son, and when my phone is in the holster or what ever mood it's in, it won't alert me when he sends me a text. Everyone else that sends me a message works just fine. Maybe it's Stewie
    02-23-09 02:05 PM
    good call on the search function. normally I would have mentioned it, but this one is kind of a vague reference and you really have to know your terms.

to answer the question about how to put tones on the device/card is in DM< media loader. when Roxio comes up, there will be 2 places you can store stuff-- device memory and external memory.

for ringtones and anything that needs "instant" access, store them to the phone. I've read about incidents where there is a delay because the phone has to access the card to play the tone.
    02-23-09 02:06 PM
    I know my alerts have a mind of it's own. I used Stewie Bugs Lois ringtone for my son, and when my phone is in the holster or what ever mood it's in, it won't alert me when he sends me a text. Everyone else that sends me a message works just fine. Maybe it's Stewie
    have you checked the custome sound profile to make sure that his text actually alerts when it's in the holster?
    02-23-09 02:07 PM
    I have always had this problem from the first day I had my storm (I bought mine on release day). It's happened on just about every OS leak that I've installed.

However, I noticed that the problem seemed to be fixed once I installed BBLight. I have it set it to turn on the backlight for SMS/MMS./emails.
    02-23-09 02:17 PM
    Holster = yes, but when I go to contacts/edit, there isn't an option for holster, but when I view sound profiles, that option is there.

have you checked the custome sound profile to make sure that his text actually alerts when it's in the holster?
    02-23-09 03:26 PM
    here's how my sound profile looks for contact alerts::

ring tone: (whatever you have)
    volume: active profile
    led: active profile
    vibration: active profile

this is the same whether I go into the contact and edit, or I just go into "set contact alerts" from the sound profiles.

it should be noted that I just set a ringtone or message tone for the specific person, I didn't create a custom profile. (OS .103 doesn't have the vib then ring issue for custom ringtones when set to vib only profile)
    02-23-09 03:38 PM
    That's what I have. I just have a custome ring tone for my son. Everything else is standard.

here's how my sound profile looks for contact alerts::

ring tone: (whatever you have)
    volume: active profile
    led: active profile
    vibration: active profile

this is the same whether I go into the contact and edit, or I just go into "set contact alerts" from the sound profiles.

it should be noted that I just set a ringtone or message tone for the specific person, I didn't create a custom profile. (OS .103 doesn't have the vib then ring issue for custom ringtones when set to vib only profile)
    02-23-09 04:14 PM
    the only other things I can suggest is to delete the profile, battery pull, edit his contact info and set the ringtone, then battery pull again for good measure.

also, while you're in editing his contact info, check to make sure his mobile numer has the area code with it. I've seen sometimes where having just the 7-digit number won't work with custom tones because the caller ID comes thru as all 10 numbers.

edit: something else I noticed in the custom ringtone section for his contact, you have to make sure the text message is set to whatever your default is... otherwise the BB default will play. in other words, lets say you have Bell2 set for everybody, but Bell1 is what the BB default is. You have to make sure to change his text alert to Bell2 for you to hear it correctly. I found that out the hard way and I don't know of that's an OS .103 thing or not, but it's worth a shot if you're using something else.
    Last edited by seVer916; 02-23-09 at 04:26 PM.
    02-23-09 04:22 PM
    Yea my Storm is doing the SAME exact thing. It'll be ringing fine one minute. But at any given time, randomly, the pre-loaded ringtones/alerts for my phone will not sound anymore. It will vibrate and then give me a weird error sound. The custom ringtones I have will still play but not the preloaded alerts. Its annoying as **** cause I dont know when it'll happen and I end up having to do a battery pull which resets the device and solves the problem...untill it happens once again.

Ok so yea we all just sitting here talking about the same problem but is anybody gonna give us a answer to this problem or uhh are we gonna hear everybodies elses problem. Man I need a answer..
    02-23-09 04:37 PM
    Ditto here on messages not always initiating an alert sound. Generally I only catch this with my gmail messages.
    02-23-09 05:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD