So far I haven't had any trouble with the reliability of my Storm's alarm going off at the right time (knock on wood). What's starting to become an issue, though, is the fact that the alarm goes silent with a click anywhere on the screen. The alarm dialogue box with "Snooze" and "Dismiss" buttons stays up, but the phone stops making noise. Which essentially means that the alarm has been dismissed by default if you so much as touch the phone.

As far as I'm concerned, this is a big problem. Given that I'm going to be half awake when the alarm goes off, it should never be easier to turn off the alarm outright than it is to hit snooze. Silencing the alarm needs to take more conscious effort than just slapping the thing making noise on my night stand.

I need a persistent alarm that won't let me fall back asleep without some effort. Anyone else have this issue? Any suggestions? Third party apps or settings on the Storm to fix this?
    02-17-09 09:39 AM
    i wear socks on my hands while i sleep and duct tape them as well. this seems to help....

but really, i have the same problem. rely totally on my bb as an alarm and have Dismissed it by mistake many times.

BTW, welcome to CB. i see this is your first post.
    02-17-09 09:46 AM
    Set your device on the other side of the room so if you need to turn it off, you have to get up to do it.

Thats what i have to do or i'll snooze every 5 minutes for literally 3-4 hours
    02-17-09 09:50 AM
    LOL

that's exactly what I do
    02-17-09 10:31 AM
    I also have this issue with the Storm alarm.

Moving it to the other side of the room only works for so long. Eventually you'll sleep-walk over there; smack it on the screen and roll back into the pit.

I can't see any sort of settings that'd stop this from happening - I'm guessing it's a bad bit of programming from the clock developer... in my mind the dang though should keep bleeping and farting at me until I actually click one of the buttons rather than slapping the screen as I continue to drool into the pillow.
    02-17-09 10:42 AM
    I believe this is a problem with all BB's, just more prominent with the storm because you just have to touch it... but on my 8703e moving the scroll wheel without clicking had the same effect.

But yea... moving it out of reach seems to be the best way to deal with it so far. I have had the occasional wake up from the wife kicking me telling me it's an hour past when I was supposed to get up... At a minimum it'd be nice if it default to snoozing so it went off again.
    02-17-09 10:42 AM
    I have not had any problems with my alarm or with pressing snooze. You could try to sleep with socks on your hand. lol
    02-17-09 10:53 AM
    Set your device on the other side of the room so if you need to turn it off, you have to get up to do it.

Thats what i have to do or i'll snooze every 5 minutes for literally 3-4 hours
    Sounds just like me!
    02-17-09 10:55 AM
    BTW, welcome to CB. i see this is your first post.
    Thanks! I'm impressed with how quickly my post has been getting responses. This is a really active forum, huh?

I believe this is a problem with all BB's, just more prominent with the storm because you just have to touch it... but on my 8703e moving the scroll wheel without clicking had the same effect.

But yea... moving it out of reach seems to be the best way to deal with it so far. I have had the occasional wake up from the wife kicking me telling me it's an hour past when I was supposed to get up... At a minimum it'd be nice if it default to snoozing so it went off again.
    Exactly. My old phone, an LJ VX9800 (aka the Verizon "V") would go quiet if you hit any button, but would only give you 30 seconds respite. If you didn't actually hit dismiss or snooze, it would go off again half a minute later.

Just this past Saturday I had the alarm on my Storm set for 8AM. When it went off I successfully hit the "snooze" button. Ten minutes later it went off again and I intended to reset the alarm for 9AM, but apparently fell back asleep while doing so, because I ended up waking up naturally at 2PM with my Storm in bed next to me. Luckily I wasn't working and didn't have any appointments to keep, or I could have gotten in serious trouble. The thought that it could have happened on a work day makes me very nervous.

I suppose I could just buy an alarm clock but I'd really prefer to use my phone since a) I can set it to play MP3s, and b) it goes wherever I go so I can be woken up in a consistent way even while traveling or crashing at a friend's house.

I've seen a couple 3rd-party alarm programs offered for sale. Anyone have experience with them? Would they function differently, or do they tend to just manage the BB's built-in alarm function (and therefore present the same problem)?

I have not had any problems with my alarm or with pressing snooze. You could try to sleep with socks on your hand. lol
    If it was a question of manipulating a scroll-wheel, then maybe. But all I have to do on the Storm is slap the screen, which I could probably manage even with socks on my hands!
    02-17-09 11:05 AM
    Or you could just wake up!
    02-17-09 11:09 AM
    "Thanks! I'm impressed with how quickly my post has been getting responses. This is a really active forum, huh?"

yeah it is. sorry bout all the comical answers. i know i appreciate the opportunity to post a funny comment sometimes. all the tech stuff gets boring ocassionally. nice to laugh a bit here.
    02-17-09 11:48 AM
    "Thanks! I'm impressed with how quickly my post has been getting responses. This is a really active forum, huh?"

yeah it is. sorry bout all the comical answers. i know i appreciate the opportunity to post a funny comment sometimes. all the tech stuff gets boring ocassionally. nice to laugh a bit here.
    Comical answers are alright by me. Even a reply with nothing but a joke lets me know that the poster didn't know of any useful information, which itself is useful information. And is in any case ten times better than the waiting... waiting... *crickets chirping* ... "has anyone even seen my post?" thing that sometimes happens when I post to a new forum.
    02-17-09 11:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD