Hey all,

Just a quick question, hoping to get the correct answer...

On the Storm on Verizon, is AIM messaging included in the data package you have to get($29.99), or does it take up SMS messages?
    02-26-09 06:46 PM
    Not this again...

It is DATA, not a text mssg charge.
    02-26-09 06:51 PM
    Its data

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-09 07:12 PM
    Not this again...

I'd be willing to bet HE didn't know that, thus his question....
    02-26-09 07:15 PM
    Not this again...

Agreed but some people don't know!
    02-26-09 07:18 PM
    Agreed but some people don't know!
    I think the point he was getting at is that there is a terrific search function available, to allow one to search the forums first, prior to asking a question. When he says, "not this again", it means we've seen this topic 10 gabillion zillion gajillion times.

Anyhow, welcome!

EDIT: Ooops. Welcome was fur the new guy.
    Last edited by bb.storm.808; 02-26-09 at 07:28 PM. Reason: not checking who I'm replying to...
    02-26-09 07:24 PM
    Hey all,

Just a quick question, hoping to get the correct answer...

On the Storm on Verizon, is AIM messaging included in the data package you have to get($29.99), or does it take up SMS messages?
    Actually, BlackBerry Instant Messenger uses data out of the $29.99/mo data pkg- AIM, YAHOO, MSN messengers use text/SMS out of your text plan.
    02-26-09 07:28 PM
    Actually, BlackBerry Instant Messenger uses data out of the $29.99/mo data pkg- AIM, YAHOO, MSN messengers use text/SMS out of your text plan.
    Incorrect. AIM on the Storm uses data, not your SMS.
    02-26-09 07:34 PM
    If you didn't like the question, nobody forced you to respond. Correct?

02-26-09 07:42 PM
    I dont understand why people even ask this question. THINK about it....we connect to aim servers on our phones and computers through the internet using DATA. Why on earth would we be charged text messages? I dont get why people get so confused about it.
    Last edited by randallmchoi; 02-26-09 at 08:02 PM.
    02-26-09 08:00 PM
    I can assure you, it will bill you in TXT not data- please feel free to call and inquire. Have the rep look up "instant messaging- costs and billing."
    02-26-09 08:01 PM
    I can assure you if you log in to MyVerizon and look up your text usage, it will only show you text messages between phone numbers. I don't see any texts incoming and outgoing from AOL. Don't tell people false information if you really don't know.
    02-26-09 08:06 PM
    It is DATA...used MSN and AIM numerous times, did not get charged for it as text msgs.
    02-26-09 09:39 PM
    sorry.... but you're wrong the only way to use any instant msgr program is to have a DATA PLAN.... you WILL NOT be charged per instant message!
    02-26-09 10:19 PM
    LOL! F.Y.I I was just searching for this answer and I found this thread!

02-26-09 11:51 PM
    LOL! F.Y.I I was just searching for this answer and I found this thread!

SMART! Finally, somebody that knows how to use the freaking search box. I'm so tired of seeing all of these repeat threads.
    02-27-09 12:39 AM
    Too bad there will be another repeat thread due to people telling false information! hmph
    02-27-09 12:48 AM
    the confusion comes in because on a regular phone, aim/msg/yahoo all count as SMS because it's done thru the Instant Messaging program.

On the BB, however, you actually download and message thru the program itself and thus it counts as data since you need a data plan for data transmission.
    02-27-09 01:09 AM
    Actaully, you can count this as an official word from Verizon Customer Care.

Aim, MSN, Yahoo, and Gtalk all use SMS not data. We had a Blackberry Storm customer without a Text Message plan whom ran up an 800 dollar bill via Aim IM. IM uses your txting and it doesn't matter if its a Blackberry, a PDA, or regular handset as the IM to phone uses your text messaging.

For further clear up for Verizon customers contact *611 for detailed info.
    02-27-09 01:47 AM
    Ok.... all I can say is that I have UNL sms & mms on my business BB (curve 8330) and only 10mb of data allowance per month. If I use any IM program as I usually do on my personal BB I go over my 10mb of data! As for my personal BB (storm), I have UNL data but only 250 sms & mms per month. I use IM (yahoo & wlm) ALL day long.... I have yet to go over my 250 sms & mms allowance!

Therefore, I have come to the conclusion that IM is considered DATA not SMS
    02-27-09 09:57 AM
    Actaully, you can count this as an official word from Verizon Customer Care.

Aim, MSN, Yahoo, and Gtalk all use SMS not data. We had a Blackberry Storm customer without a Text Message plan whom ran up an 800 dollar bill via Aim IM. IM uses your txting and it doesn't matter if its a Blackberry, a PDA, or regular handset as the IM to phone uses your text messaging.

For further clear up for Verizon customers contact *611 for detailed info.

Incorrect.

I use AIM daily and constantly. The entire time i didn't
    have the txt plan, it never cost me a penny.

Verizon CS will say that because they don't know the difference or told to say that to convince you to get a txt plan.
    Last edited by altezzaboy03; 02-27-09 at 10:20 AM.
    02-27-09 10:17 AM
    So yea, I use gchat all day long and my bill never fluctuated. Its my plan and that's it. No txt charges and I don't have an unlimited txt plan.

02-27-09 10:22 AM
    so what is it? does it use data or not? cause if it does use data, i'm getting rid of handango
    02-27-09 10:51 AM
    Just got the scoop from an ACTUAL VZW REP....

DATA it is!
    02-27-09 11:23 AM
    I dont understand why people even ask this question. THINK about it....we connect to aim servers on our phones and computers through the internet using DATA. Why on earth would we be charged text messages? I dont get why people get so confused about it.
    Maybe because all of Verizon's dumbphones are able to access AIM, Yahoo, etc. just the same and DO use SMS charges.
    02-27-09 01:02 PM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD