Hey everybody.

Before I begin this, let me preface by saying that I've been anxiously awaiting the Storm for months now. I'm a loyal Verizon customer and have been eagerly awaiting a smartphone that will at the very least rival the Iphone in regards to a solid web browser.

On Friday I had a good experience with my first time using the Storm. I posted about this on Friday afternoon here. I felt the QWERTY pad was quite good and felt that web browsing was very solid, but not great. I was happy enough with the browser that I left Verizon (only because too many people wanted to play with the Storm) and promised myself that all it would take is one more solid Storm experience to seal my purchase.

And then today happened.

I went to my local Verizon store and was happy to find a lot less people standing around wanting to try the Storm. There were 2 Storms on display. The first Storm did not have the QWERTY or Suretype keypads working. They simply would not show up when attempting to type any text. I told a rep at Verizon and he could not resolve the issue. So I tried the second Storm. This storm kept giving me a "please unlock this device" type message. I showed the rep once again. He showed me where to push to unlock the device, and then a minute later, I'd get the screen again, even though I clearly did not hit any lock buttons.

I finally went up to the rep in disgust and said "listen, neither of these Storms are working, I really want to try this phone out". He took a Storm out of his pocket for me to use. Finally, a unit that wasn't a disaster.

Last Friday I was happy with the QWERTY keypad, so I wanted to spend some more time browsing websites. I made sure the sites rendered in "firefox" mode by adjusting the settings in the browser. Here is what set me off the edge: when a website is finished loading, sometimes you cannot highlight a link by putting your finger over it, and then pushing down to select that link. The link simply won't become highlighted. This doesn't happen on every site, but it happened on a ton. So I would tap to zoom in. When I did that, I was able to highlight the link I wanted to select by placing my finger over it. Yet when I went to select that link, it would first zoom in once again on the web page, and then take me to that link.

Now you might say that isn't the biggest deal in the world, but it was enough to really drive me crazy. It just made browsing very sloppy. Another big issue I had was that sometimes when I went to select a link, it would zoom in instead of taking me to that site.

Lastly, I visited one of my favorite websites "A.V Club". This site does not have a mobile version, and when it finished loading, it just looked awful. An ad was placed over some text where it clearly should not have been. I tried to browse the site using the zoom and selecting links and I simply found it super disappointing. It's one thing to not be as good as the Safari browser on the Iphone. It's another thing completely to make web browsing a chore and not very enjoyable.

After 30 minutes of trying my best to make the most of out browsing on the Storm, I drove to my local Apple store, picked up an Iphone, starting browsing "A.V Club", and made a decision immediately to get an Iphone.

I'm writing all this with a heavy heart. I wanted the Storm to work out more than anything. Verizon has the best network, and that is something important to considering when getting a cell phone. But I can't justify a lesser phone just because it runs on a better network. AT&T has good coverage in my area, and fingers crossed, this phone will work out for me. If it doesn't, I have 30 days to make a decision, and in a worst case scenario, I'll return to Verizon and get a Curve or wait for the Omnia.

I hope you all enjoy and love your Storms, but if you are a prospective Storm buyer, I highly recommend you get some serious face time with the Storm before pulling the trigger. I find it so bizarre that people were waiting in line to purchase a phone on Friday morning that they have never even tried out. I understand the anticipation, trust me, but why wait in line, throw down your money, get a phone activated, and then be let down down the road?

Anyways, maybe I'll be back on this site if Iphone things don't work out. But I wish you the best in your scenarios.
    11-22-08 09:54 PM
    i would suggest the bold first, most people want a touch screen and i understand the "coolness" factor but there are several things lacking on the i-phone. I sell at&t service/phones and although the iphone has some things that are nice i would recommend the bold. no mms on the iphone, no copy/paste, no insurance, no stereo bluetooth, and the bold can sync with itunes. any questions let me know.
    11-22-08 09:58 PM
    Blair...Funny you say this....I never realized how easy the Iphone was to use until i tried the storm....
    11-22-08 10:04 PM
    have some ifun!
    11-22-08 10:07 PM
    i would suggest the bold first, most people want a touch screen and i understand the "coolness" factor but there are several things lacking on the i-phone. I sell at&t service/phones and although the iphone has some things that are nice i would recommend the bold. no mms on the iphone, no copy/paste, no insurance, no stereo bluetooth, and the bold can sync with itunes. any questions let me know.
    I totally agree with this. Maybe not ever really owning a BB will alter your decision to go iPhone but I would say go Bold.
    11-22-08 10:09 PM
    i agree with him 100%, but at the same time, the phone is still great, it all just comes down to what you need in the end. theres no doubting that the iphone is revolutionary and its a hard feet to live up to. had the iphone never been released and RIM put this out before the iphone, there would be no issues, because there is nothing to compare it to that is better. Like i said, there is no doubt that the iphone squashes the competition when it comes to 3 things; 1) Web Browsing 2) Media Playing Capabilities/Setup 3) App store. its really just too hard to accomplish this feat, when the macbook's came out, it squashed the competition in every regards. Sleak, Sexy, First computer to come with built in webcam standard and just have ease of use all around. But good luck with your iphone, ive been wanting an iphone since it came out, but i can't justify leaving verizon for AT&T.
    11-22-08 10:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD