After loosening the two screws 1 revolution each about a week ago, the screen click is much better, springier and even throughout.

However, every now and then the entire screen refuses to budge for a few seconds. That is, it will not press down, it is like pushing against a rock. Is it time to tighten the screws up a bit or just ask for a replacement before its too late?

Thanks for the suggestions.
    12-15-08 10:02 AM
    Personally I would tighten them a bit first
    12-15-08 10:10 AM
    Not sure how much you loosened them, but mine only required a half a turn on the 1 screw. So the first thing I would do is try tightening them up a little bit.
    12-15-08 10:12 AM
    mine - 1/4 turn, that was it.
    12-15-08 10:34 AM
    why wast time trying to fix a known problem. Get what you payed for and call for a replacement...
    12-15-08 10:51 AM
    why wast time trying to fix a known problem. Get what you payed for and call for a replacement...
    Tightening/loosening a screw is alot quicker than sending in for a replacement. If that doesn't fix it, sure take it back before the 30 days is up.
    12-15-08 10:56 AM
    Thanks for the advice - Odd that this is only happening to me though. I'd figure at least a few people might loosen a bit too much and have this happen.
    12-15-08 12:09 PM
    Yeah, it sounds like you've loosened the screws too much, or they have become loose. Whichever the case, sometimes your screen binds, which makes it hard to press.
    12-15-08 12:12 PM
    I experienced the same thing after only a day and ended going back to the business card trick, which was the only thing to work at all for me. However I got fed up exchanged mine for a new one on Friday and have not had any problems with this screen at all. If I could recommend anything it would be get what you paid for, no matter how many times it takes.
    12-15-08 12:16 PM
    I just tightened half a turn and screen is still ok around the edges. If it locks up again, I will send it back for #3.
    12-15-08 12:20 PM
    ok i just loosened mine up a bit. and the correct size is torx 7 not 6. anyways. i cant see a diff them being snug or loose half a turn. i dont feel a difference. maybe my phone was perfect :-)
    12-15-08 12:22 PM
    At first, I loosened both screws 1-1/4 turns each. If felt a bit loose on the click actions and I tightened to 3/4 of a turn each and have had a perfect storm ever since.

The manager at the Verizon store informed me that I can get a replacement when available. He will call when they are in stock and I can go evaluate a new one and make my own determination prior to switching my number.
    12-15-08 12:27 PM
    I loosened my screws up about 1/4 turn. Mine worked great but ordered a replacement on Thursday as people have been saying that they have been lately getting "perfect" replacements. Well mine came in today and right out of the box it clicks flawlessly, even without the battery installed. It clicks a lot better then my phone with the fix. If anyone is interested the phone was made in Canada with the product code 21009-002
    12-15-08 01:12 PM
    If the screen is locking up (which I had occur) you've loosened the screws too much....I dropped the storm after I loosened the screws about 1 full turn and it locked up on me. I firmed up the screws and did a 14 turn and its perfect.
    12-15-08 03:32 PM
    Tightening/loosening a screw is alot quicker than sending in for a replacement. If that doesn't fix it, sure take it back before the 30 days is up.
    Not to mention the phone isn't broken.....all you're likely to get is another working storm that has screws that are looser.

I have little doubt in my mind that a "too tight screen" isn't defect but rather a problem on the factory line.
    12-15-08 03:55 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD