I am the proud owner of a Blackberry 8830. Right now, Verizon has a 'buy one, get one free' Blackberry special, and my husband and I are both up for renewal. So... we are thinking of each getting a new Storm. He currently does not own a BB. It would cost us a total of 150 dollars (I get an upgrade discount, too boot)... meaning that we would have new Storms for 75 dollars each!! Kind of hard to pass up!!!!

Questions (Regarding my fears!):

1. What happens to my 3rd party applications? Do I lose them? Can I transfer them? Has anyone had experience with this? (I have PocketDay apps, BBSmart apps, and many others- and rely on them)

2. Over all, despite the Storm's sometimes-useless keyboard (and I say "useless" because so many others have said this in various forums), would many of you buy the same phone if you had to do it all over again? I really don't want to make a huge mistake and be stuck for 2 years (or pay $35 to give the phone back in the first month...)

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Last edited by KarlyT; 03-21-09 at 09:39 AM.
    03-21-09 09:08 AM
    I am the proud owner of a Blackberry 8830. Right now, Verizon has a 'buy one, get one free' Blackberry special, and my husband and I are both up for renewal. So... we are thinking of each getting a new Storm. He currently does not own a BB. It would cost us a total of 150 dollars (I get an upgrade discount, too boot)... meaning that we would have new Storms for 75 dollars each!! Kind of hard to pass up!!!!

1. What happens to my 3rd party applications? Do I lose them? Can I transfer them? Has anyone had experience with this? (I have PocketDay apps, BBSmart apps, and many others- and rely on them)

2. Over all, despite the Storm's sometimes-useless keyboard, would many of you buy the same phone if you had to do it all over again? I really don't want to make a huge mistake and be stuck for 2 years (or pay $35 to give the phone back in the first month...)

I would hands down by my storm again no question. It took me about 2 weeks honestly to get used to it
    But I love it now. Best bb I have ever owned (came from 8130 8830).
    There are several "tricks" on here that you can tweak your storm with and make it even better.
    .75 is the official os right now and I used that for a long time with no complaints. Got bored on day
    And started messing with beta os and never looked back. Each new beta os makes me love my storm all over
    Again.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 09:20 AM
    I love my storm!

the keyboard is in no way shape or form useless. Its great! I type just as fast on this phone as I did on any other phone out there!

Best phone I have ever had!
    03-21-09 09:23 AM
    Well I love my storm, but if you can't live without those apps make sure they work on the storm or that you can find equivalent ones.

03-21-09 09:28 AM

2. Over all, despite the Storm's sometimes-useless keyboard, would many of you buy the same phone if you had to do it all over again? I really don't want to make a huge mistake and be stuck for 2 years (or pay $35 to give the phone back in the first month...)

I've never found the keyboard to be "useless" in any way. I have many different 3rd party applications and the Storm is my everything, internet access on the run, it's the only phone I own, my life is lived through email and text, and it performs all well for me.
    03-21-09 09:36 AM
    You already use a BB now so you shouldn't have any problems converting to the Storm...Just give it a chance. I see alot of people wanting to return the Storm simply because they didn't know how to use it. There's ton of help on this forum to help with any issues you might have.

The surepress keyboard is better than most touch screen keyboard IMO.

Some apps on the 8830 might not be compatible with the Storm so check first...

I love my Storm..After some tweaking and a Hybrid OS..its running beautifully...I recommend that you go into the VZW store and play around with the Storm first..Pretty sure you'll like it
    03-21-09 10:18 AM
    You already use a BB now so you shouldn't have any problems converting to the Storm...I recommend that you go into the VZW store and play around with the Storm first..Pretty sure you'll like it
    I've played around with it for a total of an hour or more in 2 separate trips to Verizon! It does get easier as you fiddle with it.
    03-21-09 10:26 AM
    I went from a Curve to the Storm. Then after 2 weeks went back to my Curve. Your 3rd party stuff you might be able to get backups of depending on where you bought them. Some of them will be lost though, the free ones obviously you can just reload for free again.

I found that the keyboard was not "useless" but not exactly as useful as I'd hoped. If you go to the Storm, keep your Curve around just in case.
    03-21-09 10:31 AM
    I've played around with it for a total of an hour or more in 2 separate trips to Verizon! It does get easier as you fiddle with it.
    A buck fifty for two Storm is a steal..best of luck with your decision
    03-21-09 10:41 AM
    i had the curve then went to the storm now i love it even more
    03-21-09 10:44 AM
    I got the exact same deal from Verizon for my wife and I ($150 for 2 Storms) We're still getting used to them but I'm a little disappointed with the slow browsing. But I guess we can put up with it for such an amazing deal.
    03-21-09 10:45 AM
    You can back up your 8830 on your computer if you need to go back to one... pretty sure you could just restore that sw if you went back to say a curve if you tried the storm and it wasn't to your liking.

It does take some getting used to and there are a lot ppl on here who couldn't get used to the problems. Random reboots, laggy screens, buggy software, lord knows the camera sw REALLY needs improvement. You already have heard about the kb. I really does take some time to learn how to use it. It will be SLOWER to type when you first get it.

This is the deal: ONLY YOU know if the Storm is right for you. If you want something that works great right out of the box with no hassles then get a Curve. If you want something that is a great multi-tasker, has leading-edge technology, and are willing to live with some bugs until the next OS is released (rumors abound that it will be very soon, but no one knows when really) then try the Storm.

Just know that during the first week or so you might have an urge to throw the dam thing through a window like I almost did. but if ur patient, get on here alot and learn from the wealth of info on here, the Storm soon becomes your electronic buddy that you won't be able to put down!
    just my $.02
    03-21-09 10:50 AM
    You can back up your 8830 on your computer if you need to go back to one... pretty sure you could just restore that sw if you went back to say a curve if you tried the storm and it wasn't to your liking....but if ur patient, get on here alot and learn from the wealth of info on here, the Storm soon becomes your electronic buddy that you won't be able to put down! just my $.02
    I have already backed up my 8830's 3rd party apps (according to the tutorials), and I backed up all of my data. I even located all of the backup files and put them on my desktop. If I do try the Storm and it fails for some reason, I should be able to go back to my 8830 without difficulty. I do have patience and would never expect anything to ever be perfect right out of the box! My current BB had its own learning curve (it was my first one), and I'm sure that's true for anything new.

I'm starting to feel more confident about going ahead and getting the Storm!
    03-21-09 11:05 AM
    I got the exact same deal from Verizon for my wife and I ($150 for 2 Storms) We're still getting used to them but I'm a little disappointed with the slow browsing. But I guess we can put up with it for such an amazing deal.
    Jason...did you or your wife remove all the apps you didn't need, or do anything at all to optimize the Storm's performance? I always felt like Blackberry's web browsing was kind of slow anyway. It sure doesn't compare to regular browsing on a desktop or laptop!!
    03-21-09 11:07 AM
    Many people complain about the landscape keyboard. But I have no problem whatsoever with it. And I am still on .75.

And I believe the people who like the Portrait SureType keyboard are the former BB users who are familar with SureType. I don't and I rather stick with the landscape keyboard. Besides, I am in landscape mode more than 95% of the time. The only time I use portrait mode is when I am making or receiving phone calls.

Overall, the Storm is the best phone I ever have and I absolutely love it (even on .75 OS).
    03-21-09 11:20 AM

Download the Opera Mini browser and slow browsing days are over
    03-21-09 11:48 AM
    My wife and I just did the buy one get one free deal. I got the Storm and my wife got the Curve. I have been playing with both of them, but I definitely prefer my Storm. I have gotten pretty fast at typing on it. I did install the .113/.114 hybrid and it words great. I love the big screen on the storm too, it is way better than the Curve imo. I love being able to just touch the screen instead of using the scroll ball on the Curve.
    03-21-09 11:54 AM
    You might want to consider waiting for the 9630 bb niagara. I would reccomend going to a verizon store and trying it out before you buy. If you prefer the buttons and not the touch wait for the niagara. If you do decide to get the storm Just know that there is a long learning curve when it comes to typing on the storm. If your frustrated give it some time.

03-21-09 12:00 PM
    Have you tried a different Browser, like Bolt or Opera? The majority of the browsing time is spent rendering the page, not actually loading it, so one of those options may work better for you. I personally like Opera; Bolt never actually figured out how to load a page for me, so I got rid of it, but a lot of people like it and are having much better luck than I did.
    03-21-09 12:17 PM
    Love my storm... Would not hesitate to buy it again...
    03-21-09 12:33 PM
    I might consider going with a physical querty keyboard phone. Many people are claiming it to be much faster than the storm. But the storm is about to get a major official OS release and things might drastically improve for it so who knows?
    03-21-09 01:07 PM
    I got mine for $129 you can't beat it. I love my Storm but keep in mind it is a bit quirky, but you quickly get used to it.
    03-21-09 01:10 PM
    I think everyone has summed it up pretty well. I LOVE my Storm. Same deal here 2 for $150. Can't beat it. Upgraded to newer OS and is extremely stable. Keyboard took about a week to get used to but after that, clear sailing. Check your apps for upgrades for the different phone. You may be able to download the app and transfer your data.

Good luck with whatever you decide.
    03-21-09 01:26 PM
    Karly,
    There's a Device Switch Wizard in the BBDM that is specifically for moving from one phone to another, including blackberries. It gives the option to move 3rd party apps, as well. No guarantee on the apps working on the Storm, though.

That would be the easiest way to do things.

Martin
    03-21-09 01:37 PM
    I almost forgot.

After you complete the switch wizard, go to the Host Routing Table on the Storm and re-register. Sometimes using the Switch Wizard wizard will knock off the native apps. I experienced this yesterday for the first time helping a customer go from a Curve to a Storm.
    03-21-09 01:43 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD