i am still waiting on my storm to be delivered on tuesday, and for some reason talking and/or reading about it is helping to quell the anxiety.

the storm will be my first blackberry. any advice on what i should do to maximize the blackberry experience when i get it?

figured i'd go ahead and ask so i can reference this when i get my phone.

thanks ahead of time.
    11-23-08 01:05 AM
    i am still waiting on my storm to be delivered on tuesday, and for some reason talking and/or reading about it is helping to quell the anxiety.

the storm will be my first blackberry. any advice on what i should do to maximize the blackberry experience when i get it?

figured i'd go ahead and ask so i can reference this when i get my phone.

thanks ahead of time.
    well i just got the storm and I can tell you to give it a day or two and it will run much smoother, preform a battery pull (take out the battery) and that may make things a little smoother too. The more you use it, the smoother it gets. otherwise, I think you'll enjoy it right away! i know i have.
    11-23-08 01:10 AM
    That will make two of us. I had a pearl back when it was released but i would like to know what i can do to have my storm run smoothly and some cool apps. The main reason im getting the Storm due to the email client and its security but why can i enjoy it also right?
    11-23-08 01:10 AM
    (bump) anyone else? any suggestions?
    11-23-08 07:22 PM
    well there aren't really any apps made for the storm yet. We will have to wait a few weeks for developers to release their versions. Google maps is def. a must have once they fix the problem with the GPS, and viigo is coming out with a storm version soon. other than that, we will just have to keep watching crackberry to see when new storm apps come out
    11-23-08 07:25 PM
    well there aren't really any apps made for the storm yet. We will have to wait a few weeks for developers to release their versions. Google maps is def. a must have once they fix the problem with the GPS, and viigo is coming out with a storm version soon. other than that, we will just have to keep watching crackberry to see when new storm apps come out
    ^^noob(meant to be point at me)^^

what is viigo? i've been told by my coworker to definitely go ahead and get google maps, but he left it at that.
    11-23-08 07:27 PM
    Just make sure and read the manual...and watch out for the apparent instinct to get on the site and tell everybody how horrible it is and how it wasn't what you expected. It is a very good device that will be great by the end of the year through s/w fixes and freeware. Welcome to the bb world, you'll always be disappointed with everything else after you get used to a bb. ;0
    11-23-08 07:39 PM
    Take time to get use to the Blackberry OS..

Everyone swears by it and when I first began using it (Storm is my first) - I was completely confused and hated it..

12 hours later and I didn't think it was so bad Just takes some time to get use too (Still wish there was an easier way to close programs like a "Close all Open Programs" feature)
    11-23-08 07:42 PM
    click on the newbies tab at the top of the page, there's alot of basic BB info, that will give you a really good starting point to learn all of this stuff..
    AND accessorize for sure...
    11-23-08 07:43 PM
    click on the newbies tab at the top of the page, there's alot of basic BB info, that will give you a really good starting point to learn all of this stuff..
    AND accessorize for sure...

took your advice and am reading through those lessons, but i found this funny. Think RIM read this and made a few modifications?

excerpt from Lecture 1: Why Blackberry?

Under the Ease of Use reason for Why Blackberry? I want to emphasize LACK OF TOUCH SCREEN as a contributing factor. To those who say trackballs and keyboards with buttons are �dated technology� I say in response that you are wrong! Push button design is practical, logical, efficient, and effective, and therefore tough to argue with. Touch screens are fun to play with (keyword fun), but when it comes to getting the job done fast, effectively, and without error the touch screen can�t compete. It�s often very easy to make a mistake on a device that requires touch screen input, and also takes more time to correct the mistake. Touch screens lack feedback � when you push a button you don�t really feel that you�ve pushed it unless you confirm it with your eyessss, often resulting in misstypees."
    11-23-08 08:00 PM
    took your advice and am reading through those lessons, but i found this funny. Think RIM read this and made a few modifications?

excerpt from Lecture 1: Why Blackberry?

Under the Ease of Use reason for Why Blackberry? I want to emphasize LACK OF TOUCH SCREEN as a contributing factor. To those who say trackballs and keyboards with buttons are �dated technology� I say in response that you are wrong! Push button design is practical, logical, efficient, and effective, and therefore tough to argue with. Touch screens are fun to play with (keyword fun), but when it comes to getting the job done fast, effectively, and without error the touch screen can�t compete. It�s often very easy to make a mistake on a device that requires touch screen input, and also takes more time to correct the mistake. Touch screens lack feedback � when you push a button you don�t really feel that you�ve pushed it unless you confirm it with your eyessss, often resulting in misstypees."
    Hey now, there used to be cocaine in coke...
    Yes it is a bit old, but the concept never changed, that's the beauty of it...
    11-23-08 08:08 PM
    Hey now, there used to be cocaine in coke...
    Yes it is a bit old, but the concept never changed, that's the beauty of it...
    and heroin used to be over the counter . . those good ol' days huh?

quick question just came to mind, figured i'd ask but i'll probably have to call customer service.

does messaging (text, messaging, picture) come with the plan (basic 450 mins and data) or is that extra? cs can't see anything until i actually receive and activate my storm. the guy that sold me the phone didn't say anything about it, but i said i wanted messaging.
    11-23-08 08:16 PM
    Make sure you delete VZNav and visual voicemail if you're not going to use them. It will free up space and things will run much smoother.

You should download the OS to your computer and delete all of the not needed languages/programs as well. That should help make things run better also.

I also suggest to change your typing speed to fast, and to up your screen sensitivity to 6 or whatever the highest setting is.

These are the first things I will be doing when I get my storm.
    11-23-08 08:22 PM
    Make sure you delete VZNav and visual voicemail if you're not going to use them. It will free up space and things will run much smoother.

You should download the OS to your computer and delete all of the not needed languages/programs as well. That should help make things run better also.

I also suggest to change your typing speed to fast, and to up your screen sensitivity to 6 or whatever the highest setting is.

I definitely plan on deleting VZ Nav and removing it from my plan (I am almost positive he added it on there after I told him I didn't want it) but I was curious about the visual voicemail. I know it's about an extra 3 bucks a month, but is it worth it? Do you have it? Like it?
    11-23-08 08:24 PM
    I don't have it and I don't think I need it. I don't really talk on the phone much anyway, and the only time I ever can't listen to a voicemail would be in school. I very rarely get voicemails and I don't mind listening to it when I actually get them.

You need to pay extra for messaging. I pay $15/mo for unlimited verizon to verizon, along with 5,000 non-verizon messages. There's a $10 plan for unlimited verizon to verizon with 1,000 non-verizon messages also. There may even be another smaller plan.
    11-23-08 08:28 PM

how do I change typing speed and screen sensitivity
    11-23-08 08:52 PM
    FYI - Verizon is doing an introductory deal for VZ Navigator of 1st month free, at least where I live.
    As far as how satisfied am I with my new Storm? I'm in the learning curve. I've had 3 Palm Treos and would have gotten another one, but didn't want the Centro (son of Treo), so I'm trying to find the best available replacement that I don't have to pay full retail for and will work with Verizon service. I tried the Curve for a few weeks and missed the touch screen and hated the trackball for everything except BrickBreaker. I received my Storm on Friday morning and am still learning to love it. By the way, does anyone know if there is a good replacement for MegaClock for BB? I love all the options in it and haven't found anything with even close to all the options.
    11-23-08 08:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD