It took me awhile to get used to it. But, after changing the touchscreen settings and using the heck out of it, I now love to type on it. It's as easy to me as my wife's XV6800 with the sliding keyboard.
    01-13-09 09:20 AM
    Coming from a Chocolate, my typing is about the same, and I really don't do that much typing on it. I have come to love SureType though. Like others have said, I thought I'd use the QWERTY mostly, but the buttons are just two small for me to type accurately and SureType is almost always accurate for me. And I like the big buttons
    I've had my fair share of typing difficulties on the phone as well. But I also came from a Chocolate so any amount of difficulty is better than pecking on those tiny Choco keys!
    01-13-09 09:22 AM
    i suck with suretype...I've never used it before so I'm dreadfully slow. If the protrait-based "keyboard" was set up more like a conventional phone dial pad then I'd be much quicker.

On the landscape-QWERTY touch screen I am pretty quick, and only just physically held & played with a Storm a few hours ago. I was pretty comfortable simply navigating myself around the keypad but did make some errors. I think those spelling mistakes would be eliminated after experience with use and as well knowing the various BB typing shortcuts.
    You can change it from SureType to Multitap (traditional phone dial pad) when it is in portrait. Go to Options, Screen/keyboard, Portrait View Keyboard, Multitap
    01-13-09 09:51 AM
    I have out that by playing word mole, u can get familiar much faster with the storm keyboard . That's just my 2 cents.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-13-09 01:10 PM
    Hi everyone. I have had my storm for 3 days and I have to say that I am liking the Suretype and getting good at it. My question is why can I not change the display to Landscape to reply to an e-mail or a text message? I have tried everything!!!
    01-13-09 01:55 PM
    Hi everyone. I have had my storm for 3 days and I have to say that I am liking the Suretype and getting good at it. My question is why can I not change the display to Landscape to reply to an e-mail or a text message? I have tried everything!!!
    You most definitely can. A notable advantage over the iPhone!
    01-13-09 01:58 PM
    I agree with pitbullguy. Suretype is the way to go on the storm.

I've had the storm since the first week in december (came from centro, enV before that), and was able to complete the test (correcting whatever errors happened) in about 58-59 seconds. The keyboard does have its idiosyncracies, but if you're willing to stick with it it isn't really a problem.
    01-13-09 02:01 PM
    I like the keyboard better than some of the other keyboards. I hated the iphone made too many errors when I touch screen. Many times didn't even know I touch the screen! Storm is better for me.
    01-14-09 01:08 PM
    It didn't take me that long. I just typed it once and copied and pasted 4x.
    LMAO!!!!! frickin classic...
    01-15-09 11:39 AM
    I can fly on the Storm keyboard now, getting there with precision as well. Adding words to custom dictionary and noticing words you constantly mess up so you can add them to auto-correct is a great thing to do. I have a pretty good list of both build up manually and I'm getting less and less errors. The only problem is the blue light/phone can never keep up with the speed at which I text
    01-15-09 12:01 PM
    I can create a text file with this text in about 5 seconds.....using vlingo ! Practice, practice, practice -
    this is soon to become a cornerstone of Storm. I have this app as my right convenience key.

Doctor Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-15-09 at 03:57 PM.
    01-15-09 03:55 PM
    I've had my Storm 2 days now and am slowly getting used to the full keyboard. Coming from the Pearl however I can type very quickly with the Suretype!!
    01-15-09 04:12 PM
    i got 72 seconds here.
    01-15-09 04:20 PM
    I can fly on the Storm keyboard now, getting there with precision as well. Adding words to custom dictionary and noticing words you constantly mess up so you can add them to auto-correct is a great thing to do. I have a pretty good list of both build up manually and I'm getting less and less errors. The only problem is the blue light/phone can never keep up with the speed at which I text
    the light can't keep up with me sometimes either. the other thing is sometimes i'm too quick on the next letter and the screen hasn't fully popped back out yet, so i can't type the next letter till this happens.
    01-15-09 04:22 PM
    the light can't keep up with me sometimes either. the other thing is sometimes i'm too quick on the next letter and the screen hasn't fully popped back out yet, so i can't type the next letter till this happens.
    Same here. The one thing I always look for in the next leaked OS is if they fixed the typing so it can keep up with our lightning thumbs
    01-15-09 04:38 PM
    i suck with suretype...I've never used it before so I'm dreadfully slow. If the protrait-based "keyboard" was set up more like a conventional phone dial pad then I'd be much quicker.
    bb menu - enable multi tap
    01-15-09 04:58 PM
    Eww, SureType is so much better.
    01-15-09 05:09 PM
    Well, since I started this thread I thought I'd end it on a positive note. I've had my new Storm for nine days now and took it on my first trip yesterday. Today I canceled the service on my 7250 and my cell phone, so I'm committed to the Storm.

I've found that my typing has gotten better, and even though I doubt that it ever will be as fast as it is with a physical keyboard it's acceptable. I do find that the auto correction compensates significantly.

Beyond that there just are so many intangibles that add up to a positive experience with the Storm that I don't think I'll regret my decision.
    02-06-09 04:43 PM
    Glad to hear it!

I personally find the autocorrection lacking. I hope they improve it in the future!

I have to thank the forum member who recommended not straying my thumbs across the midline. i.e. The left thumb gets the left side the right thumb gets the left side

It's difficult for me (as I tend to stray my fingers over as well on a real keyboard) but I've noticed there are much fewer errors that way.
    02-06-09 04:52 PM
    I have to say, I was VERY resistant to moving to the Storm from my World Edition for the same reason. I was very quick on my WE and didn't like when I tested other touch-screen phones.

I hated the SureType when I first got the Storm and was convinced that I would only use the landscape keyboard. However, there was some good advice on this forum to just "trust" suretype and keep trying it without looking at what is being typed on the screen.

Well, I kept doing that and now I honestly cannot imagine what I did without SureType before. I just did your test and I typed, "The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" five times with only one error in 65 seconds.

Much faster than I ever did on my WE keyboard. I am really a fan of SureType...I would not have said that before I got the Storm or even for the first week I started using the SureType.

Hope that helps.
    I wasn't nearly as fast on my WE because the keys were too close together. I'm fast on the storm though. I'm becoming faster with the QWERTY keyboard in portrait too.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-06-09 05:57 PM
    It was just too ironic that the post announcing that I had switched to the Storm still listed my model as the 7250, so this corrects that oversight.
    02-07-09 05:45 PM
    honestly, between the four Storms I've had thus far, 2 of them having keyboards that were not sensitive around the edges..I've still managed to type quickly.

does anyone experience this loss of sensitivity or having to press really hard at any of the edges?
    02-10-09 07:16 AM
    I had to stop getting my nails done because of this phone...I love the OS but I swear sometimes I wish Telus had the Bold or something...I feel bad as I type this. Lol.
    02-13-09 12:06 AM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD