I like my curve for the keyboard. I also like the iphone UI. Wonder if it will be as good as the iphone itself.
    06-08-08 09:44 PM
    I also get the feeling the touchscreen is a tad fragile - which is supported by the fact that ATT does not insure them.
    At&t doesn't currently offer insurance on any of their smartphones, not just the iPhone.

Here is a link to an iPhone, "real world," stress test, just in case you're curious.

Also, to a poster before me, how do you consider a phone that's been released for (almost) a year that owns 20% of the smartphone market to be on the decline? It has almost twice as many owners as the entire Palm series, and it's been on the market for far less time.
    It did fall a little bit, that's why. It was at 26% or so, and it dropped to 20%. There are a lot of reasons for this however, and I highly doubt it is representative of the future trend. Considering the fact that 95% of the people on this site that read my reasons will discredit them and ignore them, I am not going to bother posting about it.

The only thing I will say is that the iPhone is about to become a drastically different device in a very short period of time...
    06-08-08 09:49 PM
    At&t doesn't currently offer insurance on any of their smartphones, not just the iPhone.

Here is a link to an iPhone, "real world," stress test, just in case you're curious.

It did fall a little bit, that's why. It was at 26% or so, and it dropped to 20%. There are a lot of reasons for this however, and I highly doubt it is representative of the future trend. Considering the fact that 95% of the people on this site that read my reasons will discredit them and ignore them, I am not going to bother posting about it.

The only thing I will say is that the iPhone is about to become a drastically different device in a very short period of time...
    NEGATIVE... as of now, AT&T DOES offer insurance on their smartphones!!!!
    it's been a long time coming, and they've finally come through!!
    06-08-08 10:30 PM
    NEGATIVE... as of now, AT&T DOES offer insurance on their smartphones!!!!
    it's been a long time coming, and they've finally come through!!
    My fault, I didn't know they changed the rules. Is the iPhone included now too? If it isn't, I would imagine it has something to do with the manner in which At&t is included in the selling of them, not because they are fragile.
    06-08-08 10:45 PM
    Hmm.... Three words: no tactile response.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-08-08 10:50 PM
    It looks neat... but I need an actual keyboard.

If it was designed with a fold out keyboard or something like that (like a sidekick?) I would be more into it.

Would like to see what the OS is like though!
    06-09-08 12:07 AM
    I am not interested in iPhone killers, I am waiting to see if apple can make a blackberry BOLD killer.

06-09-08 12:12 AM
    never again would i do a touch screen... it use to **** me off so bad on my old touch screen id press 3 and it would say i pressed 1 or 2... id have to go over and press down right beside the 3 to actually hit it... this all jus happened over time, but still no thanks
    06-09-08 01:00 AM
    did anybody else notice the absence of an external Micro SD slot?
    06-09-08 02:01 AM
    did anybody else notice the absence of an external Micro SD slot?
    absent from which phone?? the Bold has an external Micro SD slot
    06-09-08 07:45 AM
    I'm new to BB's, just had my 8110 for a couple of months, but can't imagine a BB without real keyboard already. They just type way too good. Besides that I wouldn't mind the thunder, looks like a cool gadget, although maybe I would prefer a pearl-sized bold better

06-09-08 03:24 PM
    meh...I'm not really feeling a touchscreen..but kudos to those who like em..just make sure to keep it in the FAMILY
    06-09-08 03:59 PM
    I think RIM is going to nail the touchscreen and stick it to the iPhone 3G because you know Verizon is already pressuring RIM to give them a good touchscreen competitor.

06-10-08 07:49 AM
    I wish they'd make a hard keyed touchscreen device. ****, I'd prefer it to be a flip as well, but I know that's asking too much. you can get the best of both worlds. the touchscreen can take up more real estate up top so the screen can be bigger than on the curve. And you'd still have your hard keys and the ability to navigate via trackball and keyboard. even if it was a touchscreenm those that don't want one can still operate the way they do now.

while I can appreciate full screen phones and what they offer, I don't want one. I want physical keys that I can use with me eyes closed over time. I want tactile feedback. I want the ability to use the screen and keyboard as an interface.

I also want threaded sms, memory card backup and a better stock PIM. so until that happens, I'm sticking with Palm anyway. I find it truly amazing they haven't addressed those three issues with all the device and OS revisions they've had. they care more about fighting a media created iphone war.

06-10-08 10:04 AM
    i'm also tired of the iphone comparisons. until they put a good PIM on it, it's just a cool gadget. that seems to get lost in the shuffle.

on the screen/keyboard side, the samsung glide has the right idea. can suffer through a screen keyboard for quick stuff, but want the real thing for anything of substance. shame sprint got hosed with the non keyboard version and verizon got the glide.

06-10-08 10:10 AM
    "Hmm.... Three words: no tactile response."

What do you mean? On the iPhone or Thunder? I hope you mean the iPhone because we don't know anything about the Thunder yet...especially if it has tactile feedback.

06-11-08 07:09 AM
    Guys, i am hearing that the Bold(9000) will be exclusive to ATT and the Thunder will be exclusive to Verizon,, and the Kickstart(9100) exclusive to T-mobile.. maybe rim is switching the game up, and allowing all the carriers to have their own unique phones.. this would prove to be actually good.. with the now abudant unlocking of phones.. Att and tmobile on gsm are interchangeable once unlocked.. Verizon and sprint on cdma are a different story
    06-14-08 08:10 PM
    I don't think Apple lowering their price " stuck it to RIM". More like admitting their old price was "sticking it to their original consumers" !!!

06-14-08 09:45 PM
    Apple just stuck it to RIM yesterday. $199 and $299 for the iPhone versions. Not only that, but the battery life on the new iPhone is crazy long. Seems RIM will be trying yet again to catch up. Only major fault for the iPhone is that the battery isn't removable, but then again, all of Apple's isht is like that.

I just want full HTML email (yes RIM, that means view and CREATE, not just view which is what OS4.5 will support) and browsing, how fracking hard is it to get some good programmers. Hats off to RIM bringing up the rear again. :thumbsdown:
    bettery life on the 3Giphone and BB Bold are the exact same!!

edit:**battery**
    06-15-08 11:22 AM
    bettery life on the 3Giphone and BB Bold are the exact same!!

edit:**battery**
    No it's not. The talk time is slighly different by about .5 hours better on the iPhone and the other uses of the device on battery life is also different. < this is the big difference I was talking about.
    06-15-08 11:46 AM
    None of this matters until you actually see how any of these products actually function. See what features any of them really have.
    06-15-08 06:29 PM
    Apple didn't stick anything to RIM... 30 minutes is not a "big" difference.... It's insignificant. You shouldn't even be bringing battery life into the equation considering the fact that with a BlackBerry you can take out the batter and put in a new one that's fully charged. The iPhone on the other hand you actually have to go and wait for it to charge. So yea, I'll gladly take that 30 minutes less for the ability to be able to have as many spare batteries as I want.

And as for the price point, umm, the Bold price point is supposed to be $299-349. So basically the same as the iPhone 16GB and considering that the Bold has an expandable MicroSD slot that will support a 8GB or 16GB card I forgot which, but anyway, same case as the batteries, you can have as many as you want. And as far as the internet goes, they are bringing an HTML browser, if you want to create s**t, DO IT ON YOUR COMPUTER. This is a device that is meant to make your basic needs available to you on the go, it's not meant to be a computer. And in regards to your comment about RIM playing catch-up. RIM started off as a corporate device and they have started aiming for consumers just recently. iPhone is MADE FOR CONSUMERS, not corporate. Now they are playing catch-up to RIM in the corporate world. And don't forget, there are a LOT of people that don't like or WANT a touchscreen. I am not biased on either, but don't come and insult BB's with these BS reasons that clearly you haven't thought through.
    Last edited by Skormm; 06-15-08 at 09:19 PM.
    06-15-08 07:13 PM
    I think the big thing to take notice of with the new iPhone announcement is how significant of a price drop Apple had to make on the device to compete in this market. It was their only hope in making some sort of impact this second time around.

Don't get me wrong, I think the iPhone is an awesome device, it may be comparible to the upcoming "Thunder", but it certainly doesn't measure up to BlackBerry in general, they are two different devices that offer two different things.
    06-15-08 09:15 PM
    competition is always a good thing for consumers..its keeps companies honest. the significant price drop of the iPhone is aiming to sell more units by making it affordable (i use that term loosely because $200 and $300 is still a decent chunk of change, but certainly do-able for a smartphone) to a broader range of consumers. along with discounts and plan activations, the Bold will be quite affordable (again using it loosely) for many as well.

i dont know about the rest of you guys, but im loving the waiting and anticipation for the releases of these two devices...its just exciting. i know both devices will sell well and this looks like only the beginning of competition between the RIM and Apple smartphones.

for me, i just snagged myself a VZW Curve a couple weeks ago so i'll be playing with it for a while because i love it!

just a quick last thought: the Thunder...whats its impact going to be on the competition between RIM and Apple as well as the touchscreen smartphone market? dont mean to jack the thread...i'll start a new one! just food for thought
    06-16-08 12:10 AM
    It looks really cool. Almost makes me want to switch carriers.
    06-18-08 12:38 AM
85 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD