My buddy has a storm and his service got turned off cause he lost his job and cant pay his bill. If I buy the phone from him, will I be able to use it when he owes money to verizon?
    05-27-09 02:21 PM
    Don't think so unless he pays the cancellation charges. His cost for the phone was based on the 2 year contract. So he owes them for the phone price discount.
    05-27-09 02:30 PM
    Don't quote me on this but to the best of my knowledge, you can't use his phone with verizon, unless he pays his bill in full.

Although (and i'm not entirely sure about this) you might be able to unlock the phone and use it with a different service provider.
    05-27-09 02:30 PM
    yes, it has to be cleared of all old charges.
    05-27-09 02:31 PM
    I don't think so. The phone is blacklisted until the balance is resolved. I could be wrong...
    05-27-09 02:31 PM
    Do you know how to get it unlocked? His service isnt off yet but will be cause he doesnt have the money to pay the bill. Can the phone be used with AT&T or another carrier or prepaid from AT&T? I just want to use data, not voice.
    05-27-09 02:32 PM
    One possible option would be to have him activate a cheapo phone on the account (replace the Storm). The Storm will then no longer be locked to or associated with his account. Then, before he does anything else, you activate the Storm on your account. Not sure if this will work since he's behind on his bill.

Note to swapping neysayers: I've bounced back and forth on my account between a Storm and a basic cell phone. When I add the Storm, I must chose a data plan, when I remove it, the BB plan is removed and I'm left with a basic no-frills plan. I then get prorated charges on my bill for that month.
    05-27-09 02:38 PM
    if Verizon operates like TELUS, what they do is the phone can not be swapped off the account until it is brought up to date. After that, you can do what you like. Until then though, the phone is stuck on his number.
    05-27-09 02:47 PM
    Do you know how to get it unlocked? His service isnt off yet but will be cause he doesnt have the money to pay the bill. Can the phone be used with AT&T or another carrier or prepaid from AT&T? I just want to use data, not voice.
    How will you get DATA only on the phone???
    05-27-09 03:46 PM
    One possible option would be to have him activate a cheapo phone on the account (replace the Storm). The Storm will then no longer be locked to or associated with his account. Then, before he does anything else, you activate the Storm on your account. Not sure if this will work since he's behind on his bill.

Note to swapping neysayers: I've bounced back and forth on my account between a Storm and a basic cell phone. When I add the Storm, I must chose a data plan, when I remove it, the BB plan is removed and I'm left with a basic no-frills plan. I then get prorated charges on my bill for that month.
    This Is the best possible solution. You can change esns as long as it hasn't been shut off.

A data only plan is around 30 to 40 bucks a month plus around .50 per minute if you do use it for voice.
    Hope that helps.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

The data options were for vzw.
    Last edited by SenorStorm; 05-27-09 at 04:47 PM.
    05-27-09 04:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD