On my last three Phones; VX 6800, the Q, and HTC Mogul (VZn version), you had the capability to call someone from a txt msg they sent you. The Storm is the only phone recent modern phone that does not have this feature. You can call from the txt msg only if the person is not in your contact, in which you can simply click the phone # and it a menu appears with options to reply, call the #, etc. If the person is in your contact list, you do not have this option to call the contact. WHY WHY WHY...It's very annoying to have to go into contacts to call someone who just sent you message saying "Please call me".
    05-26-09 10:07 AM
    hit reply, highlight and click name, select "call name"
    05-26-09 10:21 AM
    Going to say, i can call the contact once they sms me. Just abit 'finiky' selecting the number.
    05-26-09 10:23 AM
    When your before you open the sms message. Highlight the senders name. Then press Menu button>>select call contact

And then you are done.
    05-26-09 10:23 AM
    Wow, now that is elegant
    05-26-09 10:33 AM
    Wow, now that is elegant
    my Point precisely..No offence to you Howarmat. This just seems so cumbersome. In those three steps, i can just as easily Open contacts, search name and click Send to call the person. Why is that if the person is not in your contact list, you can highlight the # and call, but can't do the same when the person is in your contact list????
    05-26-09 10:41 AM
    you should just be able to hit the call button from within the text to or from that person and it should call them
    05-26-09 10:42 AM
    Once again another storm user blaming the phone without knowing how to actually use it...
    05-26-09 10:44 AM
    my Point precisely..No offence to you Howarmat. This just seems so cumbersome. In those three steps, i can just as easily Open contacts, search name and click Send to call the person. Why is that if the person is not in your contact list, you can highlight the # and call, but can't do the same when the person is in your contact list????
    its only a small extra step. Agreed it could be a little easier but its nothing to get all worked up about really.
    05-26-09 10:45 AM
    For most Storm users, Clunky, Jank and half-a$@ed is perfectly acceptable.
    05-26-09 10:53 AM
    Once again another storm user blaming the phone without knowing how to actually use it...
    maybe he shouldve read that manual that came in the box... oh wait verizon customers didn't get one
    05-26-09 10:56 AM
    IT does NOT work. When you open the Txt and hit the send button twice, it brings up the last number dialed. If you hit it once, it opens up the dial pad. TRY it!! i have had the phone since December...hated it when it first came and decided to give it try after the 75 OS upgrade...running 148 right now. So I think i pretty much know how to operate the damn thing. And Yes, it's ridiculous to go through so much steps to call someone using the Storm when other phones (blackberry included, i think) have this feature.
    05-26-09 10:58 AM
    IT does NOT work. When you open the Txt and hit the send button twice, it brings up the last number dialed. If you hit it once, it opens up the dial pad. TRY it!! i have had the phone since December...hated it when it first came and decided to give it try after the 75 OS upgrade...running 148 right now. So I think i pretty much know how to operate the damn thing. And Yes, it's ridiculous to go through so much steps to call someone using the Storm when other phones (blackberry included, i think) have this feature.
    Highlight the person name, the best way to see it is when the select button light up. Then press the call button and you are done.

It is a bit finicky, especially since I have my case-mate skin and screen protector on my storm.
    05-26-09 11:16 AM
    exactly what i was thinking just click the name up top and hit the send button only thing is the name doesnt highlight
    05-26-09 11:19 AM
    Well, yea because you've got nothing selected. It did the same thing on my Curve, and on my friend's bold.

In a text message you tap the name or the number on the top of screen then press send. It's that simple.

05-26-09 11:24 AM
    maybe he shouldve read that manual that came in the box... oh wait verizon customers didn't get one
    I got one with my phone of course I didn't read it though
    05-26-09 11:35 AM
    Well, yea because you've got nothing selected. It did the same thing on my Curve, and on my friend's bold.

In a text message you tap the name or the number on the top of screen then press send. It's that simple.

I can't select the name on top of the text. Wonder if its different with OS's, because I feel like I used to be able to. Or was that with my Pearl....?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-26-09 11:52 AM
    exactly what i was thinking just click the name up top and hit the send button only thing is the name doesnt highlight
    yeah its really pretty silly that nothing changes or indicates the touch has happened
    05-26-09 11:54 AM
    Ok, I just tried it again and it worked. But like Ronindan said, it's very finicky. You have to tap the name, and assume that it's highlighted because it actually doesn't highlight as stated by Blingdogg. I guess it would have been too much to ask to make it more intuitive. Thanks to the forum, i think most would have returned this phone by now. Thanks to everyone for your help, even to Soutensyle, who tried to clown me at first...LOL
    05-26-09 11:54 AM
    This is not a question of knowing how to use the device. It is the fact that the device does not have the same function as almost every device on the market.
    It goes the same way if you want to add an email address or office number to an existing contact. The native functions in the device don't provide this option, if you received and email or call and now you want to add to an existing contact..
    Let's say I want to add an office number to my friends existing contact info. I can't simply select add to existing contact when they call. I need a third party app or I need to use cut and paste.
    If the Storm could handle all the third party apps it would be great but now I need to worry about the very limited app memory.
    Sad to say the device works great the fewer apps you have, but what is the fun it that?

All devices have their flaws. The Storm is frustrating for most including myself because it has not performed as expected.
    Some love it and some hate it. Me I have stopped caring. My upgrade time will come soon enough.

Last edited by VoodooKaboom; 05-26-09 at 12:00 PM.
    05-26-09 11:55 AM
    Good point...For me, it's not the lack of big things (wi-fi) etc that annoys me. It's the simple things that you'd think is a no-brainer that pisses me off.

Off-topic, but relevant to my point. In Google Chrome, when you have multiple tabs open and click the X to close the windows, it does just that-closing all the other tabs without warning. On every other, IE, Fire Fox, even AOL, a warning alerts you that you have other tabs open and if you want to close all. Again, it's not like they're inventing something new. It's common sense.
    Last edited by Offdahiizzy; 05-26-09 at 12:07 PM.
    05-26-09 12:01 PM
    Yeah as the others have stated it DOES work

Edit: I see OP has found that out already...disregard.
    Last edited by chuk1005; 05-26-09 at 12:15 PM.
    05-26-09 12:01 PM
    This is not a question of knowing how to use the device. It is the fact that the device does not have the same function as almost every device on the market.
    It goes the same way if you want to add an email address or office number to an existing contact. The native functions in the device don't provide this option, if you received and email or call and now you want to add to an existing contact..
    Let's say I want to add an office number to my friends existing contact info. I can't simply select add to existing contact when they call. I need a third party app or I need to use cut and paste.
    If the Storm could handle all the third party apps it would be great but now I need to worry about the very limited app memory.
    Sad to say the device works great the fewer apps you have, but what is the fun it that?

All devices have their flaws. The Storm is frustrating for most including myself because it has not performed as expected.
    Some love it and some hate it. Me I have stopped caring. My upgrade time will come soon enough.

You sir have thee best avatar I have ever seen.
    05-26-09 12:25 PM
    another storm "problem" solved

go cb!
    05-26-09 03:29 PM
    For me, if you hit the BB button in a text you sent to the person, you'll have all the options to call them... but for some reason it doesnt work on a message you received from t hem.
    05-26-09 03:31 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD